Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to basics and really doing it!

I have a questions, what size is your Bougie? I'm wondering if that's the reason that we experiencing weight gain. I know that I requested my doctor to use a smaller size for me. I believe my size is a 30.

Hey Liz,

Not sure I understand your question. What is a bougie?

May God bless you and keep you[emoji173]️

-Mariela

A bougie is an instrument they put down your throat and into your stomach while they are forming your sleeve. Larger sizes have fewer complications but you have a larger stomach, smaller sizes have higher risk of leaks or strictures but produce a more restrictive sleeve. Standard in the US is 32-50 and U.K. is 60. I looked it up.

I don't know my bougie size, I suppose I could have the surgeon check his records. But honestly I don't think it has much to do with my regain if anything. I can tell you I have not had vsg related complications..... my regain has everything to do with depression resulting from loss and subsequently making poor food and behavior choices.... as a result of pregnancy I experienced a lessening of restriction, but not a full return to pre-op conditions...I am down 5lbs from last week... my caloric intake is hovering around 1600/day and I am focusing on home cooked (by me!) meals and no alcohol, I've come under my Protein needs each day, and over on carbs, so still need to make some tweaks there....the 2 hikes on sun/mon still have me sore so I haven't worked out since-- I plan to go to the gym tomorrow...stay with it everyone, and keep up the effort! It's doable! Just keep checking in :) I'm really looking forward to keeping this thread active!

A bougie is an instrument they put down your throat and into your stomach while they are forming your sleeve. Larger sizes have fewer complications but you have a larger stomach, smaller sizes have higher risk of leaks or strictures but produce a more restrictive sleeve. Standard in the US is 32-50 and U.K. is 60. I looked it up.

Oooooooooooh. Thank you for clarifying for me! I had gastric bypass so I have a pouch.

-Mariela

I don't know my bougie size, I suppose I could have the surgeon check his records. But honestly I don't think it has much to do with my regain if anything. I can tell you I have not had vsg related complications..... my regain has everything to do with depression resulting from loss and subsequently making poor food and behavior choices.... as a result of pregnancy I experienced a lessening of restriction, but not a full return to pre-op conditions...I am down 5lbs from last week... my caloric intake is hovering around 1600/day and I am focusing on home cooked (by me!) meals and no alcohol, I've come under my Protein needs each day, and over on carbs, so still need to make some tweaks there....the 2 hikes on sun/mon still have me sore so I haven't worked out since-- I plan to go to the gym tomorrow...stay with it everyone, and keep up the effort! It's doable! Just keep checking in [emoji4] I'm really looking forward to keeping this thread active!

Same here, my weight gain is from my choices and lifestyle- don't think anything is wrong with my pouch. I had gastric bypass so I didnt have a bougie as far as I know. Good for you on cooking at home and being conscience of what you are putting in your body. You are right, it's doable!!! We can all do it and I want this thread to stay alive also!! Let's be accountable, good, bad or ugly. We are all here for each other and understand the struggle.

-Mariela

18 hours ago, SandyToes143 said:

Thanks for explaining. I had my surgery done in Mexico. I think I'm at 30, could be 32. The only complaint I have is drinking Water at night before bed. When I fall asleep, I wake up throwing the water up, As if the water sets in my esophagus.

I did much better today than the day before. I walked 2 miles on the treadmill before work. I eat a lot of Protein, but also did bad on carb intake. My doctor told me to start eating apples; too many carbs. No more apples for me. Tomorrow is a new day. ***I know my carb intake should be between 20-25. I started at 100 to work my way down. I could not go cold turkey. IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.b85c583c941e39d18157f0d9fe04be6d.JPG

Edited by Liz210

So far so good for me. It's been a struggle trying to get up in the morning to work out but I do it. If I don't feel like going to the gym I do a Leslie Sansone DVD. (My goal is to work my way back up to taebo and yes I still have billy blanks taebo dvds. Lol ) But I try to get in a minimum of 30 minutes everyday. Ive up my Protein intake and have started eating Breakfast again which I haven't been doing. Also started meal prepping which is a big help aannndddd....I resisted the urge to order out for lunch every time I was asked sooooo super proud of myself there too. [emoji16]
Over all I think I'm off to a good start...not great but definitely working my way there and feeling good about it. #onamission[emoji1601]

So far so good for me. It's been a struggle trying to get up in the morning to work out but I do it. If I don't feel like going to the gym I do a Leslie Sansone DVD. (My goal is to work my way back up to taebo and yes I still have billy blanks taebo dvds. Lol ) But I try to get in a minimum of 30 minutes everyday. Ive up my Protein intake and have started eating breakfast again which I haven't been doing. Also started meal prepping which is a big help aannndddd....I resisted the urge to order out for lunch every time I was asked sooooo super proud of myself there too. [emoji16]
Over all I think I'm off to a good start...not great but definitely working my way there and feeling good about it. #onamission[emoji1601]

That's awesome! Keep up the great work! You're doing amazing

-Mariela

It's Saturday and I'm pressing forward. 3 pounds down. Posted my drinks for today

Image1496500461.758756.jpg.f039e18f0920a324a41d048be6c81b2d.jpg

Good job Liz210

I drink the same shake but I've never seen the Premier Protein drink. I'm searching to see where I can purchase it now. [emoji1417][emoji1417]

Good job Liz210

I drink the same shake but I've never seen the Premier Protein drink. I'm searching to see where I can purchase it now. [emoji1417][emoji1417]

Got ours at Sam's Club. Taste really good when put in freezer.

It's Saturday and I'm pressing forward. 3 pounds down. Posted my drinks for today

Image1496500461.758756.jpg.f039e18f0920a324a41d048be6c81b2d.jpg

Good job Liz! I love Premier Protein shakes, I've never tried the drinks but definitely want to- where do you get those? Keep up the great work!

-Mariela

I found you guys [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Yay Zoii!!! Welcome!

-Mariela