Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you start losing the weight?

I am only 4 days post op, had my surgery May 24th. I started at 239.4, then I went on my one week liquid diet and went down to 230. After surgery when I was weighed, I had gone back up to 238.2. I am still not down to my pre surgery weight and I am following my directions exactly. What I am wondering is when did you all start losing your weight, how many days out? Thanks in advance for your help!

I didn't weigh myself for the first week. Now that I am a few months out I notice a pattern, stall for 2-3 weeks, then a decent loss. Don't stress, it will come off.

I had my surgery on 5/24 as well and won't even step on the scale until I'm feeling normal again. I know I gained weight with all the Fluid I have build up and the gas is tremendous -even with walking it won't come out anywhere it needs to. I was warned that it would take a good 10 days to get rid of all hospital weight and by then I should lose it all plus be a bit lighter than I was when I went in

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

1 hour ago, Mamabear22 said:

I am only 4 days post op, had my surgery May 24th. I started at 239.4, then I went on my one week liquid diet and went down to 230. After surgery when I was weighed, I had gone back up to 238.2. I am still not down to my pre surgery weight and I am following my directions exactly. What I am wondering is when did you all start losing your weight, how many days out? Thanks in advance for your help!

You were probably pumped full of several liters of IV fluids on surgery day. Those IV bags of normal saline and lactated ringer's solution are rather heavy and add temporary Water weight to the body.

In other words, there's no possible way you've gained any fat since the surgery. Stay off the scale for a few weeks and allow your body to sort out its issues with swelling and Fluid retention.

Thanks so much for your input, much appreciated.

I'm 9 days out and have only lost 6.9lbs from my surgery weight... I'm not stressing it as I know my body is healing so I would give it a couple of weeks.

Thanks, good to know! I guess I will just have to be patient.

I'm 5 days out and the weight started dropping off yesterday. I'm doing 64 ounces of Water and 87 grams of Protein. I sleep a lot.

Don't panic, when your body is ready, it will shed the weight, it takes time. Everybody is different. While I may lose 5 days after surgery, someone else may take longer.

Do yourself a favor -- stay off of the scale for at least a month post-op. Stick to your plan, make meeting your Protein and Water goals your full-time job, and let your body heal. The weight will begin to come off in its own time.

2 hours ago, AK_Bookworm said:

I'm 9 days out and have only lost 6.9lbs from my surgery weight... I'm not stressing it as I know my body is healing so I would give it a couple of weeks.

When's the last time you lost nearly 7 pounds in 9 days? You're doing extremely well!

It's important to have very realistic expectations throughout your weight loss phase. For instance, I lost an average of 3 to 6 pounds a month yet kept on truckin' and still attained my goal weight.

The speed and rate of the weight loss doesn't matter as much as your ability to keep it off. That's the moment of truth. Many of us were able to lose weight without surgery, but struggled to keep it off.

Good luck to you! :)

When's the last time you lost nearly 7 pounds in 9 days? You're doing extremely well!
It's important to have very realistic expectations throughout your weight loss phase. For instance, I lost an average of 3 to 6 pounds a month yet kept on truckin' and still attained my goal weight.
The speed and rate of the weight loss doesn't matter as much as your ability to keep it off. That's the moment of truth. Many of us were able to lose weight without surgery, but struggled to keep it off.
Good luck to you! [emoji4]

Definitely!!!! I'm happy with any loss... it's possible that I'm just a slow loser (I didn't lose much during the preop diet either) and I'm ok with that. I'm still learning this new tummy and trying to get more fluids because I haven't been successful with that at all so I'm sure once I get a good food routine down where I know when I'm full and can get all my fluids in I'm sure I'll lose more and if not then that's fine too... any loss is a loss to Celebrate to me!! I also think I'm over stuffing so I'm trying to break that habit.

I would be happier then heck to lose 7 pounds in 9 days. I hope I will lose that much when I get to 9 days out!

I'm not planning on taking anything the scale says seriously until I am a month out.