Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled to have gastric sleeve on June 16th. I am having a lot of conflicting thoughts and feelings about the surgery and whether or not it is the right thing for me. On one hand I am so tired of diets and have given up hope of being able to do it on my own and on the other hand I don't think the surgery gets to the root of overeating...I really feel so stuck and was wondering if any of you felt this way prior to surgery and how you reconciled this?

Omg yes I felt like this. I literally almost walked out surgery Day because it got delayed.

I'm now six days post op and have zero regrets.

Even if you manage to lose the weight can you keep it off? I told myself to either accept being fat or do the surgery but if I chose not to do the surgery I wasn't allowed to whine about my weight any more.

Invest in therapy to get at the root of your overeating before surgery. Then you'll be ready.

that is a great question to ask myself...can I accept being fat? Also, I just started therapy last week...problem is that surgery is scheduled for June 16th. How are you feeling post op Joann54?

Totally normal to be feeling this way pre-op.

The statistic is that only 5% of people that lose weight are successful keeping it off, which is not very good odds. But with bariatric surgery you gain a tool to aid in long term success with weight loss. Combined with therapy to help with any food addictions - should give you a great chance at success.

Edited by MarinaGirl

that is a great question to ask myself...can I accept being fat? Also, I just started therapy last week...problem is that surgery is scheduled for June 16th. How are you feeling post op Joann54?

I feel good. Sore but I haven't even taken Tylenol in three days. My first night home was rough but it's gotten better each day. When I'm just sitting it's like I didn't have anything done to me. Getting up to stand feels sore but once I'm walking I'm fine again. I'm a baby with pain.
Emotionally I'm good. I think I want to eat but know I can't yet and know it's temporary. I'm excited about what's to come but right now I'm focused on healing and haven't even weighed myself since the day or surgery. I was incapable of feeling like I could do this without the sleeve. I have so much hope now.

I'm in my third day post op and last night was by far the worse. The first 2 days post op were in the hospital and I felt amazing. Sore of course and gas that couldn't pass the normal way, but the thoughts and feelings about food weren't there at all and I felt like I was alive for the first time in decades. Last night was my first night home and I was suffering. The pain was unbearable - though I didn't take the normal amount by of meds because my headache was killing me and I figured the meds were a part of it. Gas had moved into my intestines and still couldn't come out naturally so I was in agony when I wasn't sleeping. I knew and was prepared for a "regret day" soon after surgery. So I intentionally chose to comfort myself with the thought that this too shall pass, but hopefully my immediate dislike for food will remain a bit longer.
Everything still has a twinge of sweet to it - even Water and ice taste like sugars been added. Protein in my water has to be forced down but it's doable. I was a big water drinker beforehand so getting in the required amount of water isn't going to be a problem for me. I just hate the taste of everything so sweet. My son brought home a chocolate ice cream and I literally dabbed my finger along the top and tasted some of the ice cream on my tongue and had to spit it out. I didn't want to eat any , it was not a craving , but because even the water tastes so differently after I had a surgery I wanted to see how other food might taste. That's the result that i was hoping for but wasn't counting on necessarily. I don't want to think about food the same way I used to and so far so good.
Deep rooted food issues should be sorted out through therapy. I know that head hunger is when I feel hungry but not for anything - only something specific. Real hunger is when I think about my least favorite food and I'd happily eat it.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

I just had surgery this past Tuesday, had a very poor response to anesthesia and had to stay 2days inpatient. Discharged home for one night and had to return to the hospital because I wasn't peeing. Stayed for another 2 nights and just got back home (again) a few hours ago. Despite all of this, I have zero regrets. My first night was horrible and yes I did ask myself what was I thinking, but once I stabilized those questions stopped.

What you're going through is very natural because this is a big decision, but in the end it's a step towards better health

On 5/27/2017 at 0:29 PM, Joann454 said:

Omg yes I felt like this. I literally almost walked out surgery Day because it got delayed.

I'm now six days post op and have zero regrets.

Even if you manage to lose the weight can you keep it off? I told myself to either accept being fat or do the surgery but if I chose not to do the surgery I wasn't allowed to whine about my weight any more.

Invest in therapy to get at the root of your overeating before surgery. Then you'll be ready.

I tried to accept being fat"it's in my genes, all my aunts and several cousins on both sides are fat" I am sick of yo yo dieting and my husband buying me food and telling me to eat this eat that. I need this surgery I guess as a tool and as my definitely excuse of "I can't"

I think the day after surgery a lot of us said "what did I do to myself?", but it soon passes

It's completely normal to have doubts. This is not a magic bullet. You are making trade-offs for the significant weight loss. But as long as you are going into it with your eyes open, you can feel good about your decision.

I had my sleeve surgery in December 2015. I experienced some complications, and I will have to take pancreatic enzymes indefinitely, but I would have the surgery again. Even the loose skin doesn't bother me enough to regret my decision. Now, I can eat almost any kind of food I want, as long as I stick to the portion size my stomach can comfortably handle.

Keep educating yourself and reviewing your pros/cons list.

I am scheduled to have gastric sleeve on June 16th. I am having a lot of conflicting thoughts and feelings about the surgery and whether or not it is the right thing for me. On one hand I am so tired of diets and have given up hope of being able to do it on my own and on the other hand I don't think the surgery gets to the root of overeating...I really feel so stuck and was wondering if any of you felt this way prior to surgery and how you reconciled this?

I am scheduled for June 14. For the last few weeks, I have been SCARED of complications! But, now, since finishing all of my requirements and getting my ins approval, my worries have changed from complications to "am I going to be able to do this?" I am NOT a veggie eater (or much of a meat eater) I have lived my life on carbs and dairy, which is what got me where I am today. I KNOW I have to change if I want to be successful, and my thinking is that I am just a worrier by nature and I'm sure I will be worrying about something different in a day or 2. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app