Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar-free versus regular popsicles

So I'm just curious as to why they say to have sugar free popsicles instead of regular popsicles when it comes to pre-op and post-op? I understand that some of the carbs is one of the reasons but can it actually mess up your sleeve?

So I'm just curious as to why they say to have sugar free popsicles instead of regular popsicles when it comes to pre-op and post-op? I understand that some of the carbs is one of the reasons but can it actually mess up your sleeve?

Your sleeve processes it too fast causing dumping syndrome initially, plus it's unhealthy. Sugar will cause you to crave sugar and that adds pounds. I don't think it messes up your sleeve but it definitely defeats the purpose of having one.

I agree with the above poster, but I hate artificial sweeteners for health reasons, but please, stick to sugar free for now. If you've got a sweet tooth, go for stevia or Monk Fruit sweeteners. I'm sure there are popsicles made with them. Way better for you than the artificial stuff.

Edited by Newme17

3 hours ago, Cassicakes01 said:

Non SF pops are so laden with simple carbs (sugar) with no nutritional value, it would be utterly disastrous to have these.

Pre-op: Your liver will not shrink.

Post-op: You're setting yourself up to gain weight and have reactive hypoglycemic episodes, even if you're not diabetic.

liquid carbs go right through the body, get absorbed right away, they hit the bloodstream very quickly. This causes the pancreas to dump insulin into the bloodstream, but in all likelihood what you've had will already have passed through. It'll lower your blood sugars dramatically to a point of danger.

If you're post-op, the liver is already under extreme stress trying to help supply the body with enough energy.

Pre-op, you want the liver to shrink.

The mechanism works the same when it comes to losing weight and liver shrinking. If you're consuming so much sugar so quickly, and it doesn't take much to overdo it, the liver takes in all the carbs, converts it to sugars for storage, then if it has too much, which happens easily, it converts to fatty acids, that infiltrate the liver itself and get sent around the body. Fat infiltration makes the liver larger and more slippery, at first. Thus, it will work against you both in pre-op and post-op stages. You won't lose weight, and you'll make your surgery more risky, possibly even causing the surgeon not to go through with it if your liver isn't shrunk.

I don't understand why anyone would even think about eating a regular popsicle?? Your body does not need the sugar and it would just lead to more cravings. Our stomachs are so small at this point I would be focusing on healthy foods.

On 5/25/2017 at 11:52 PM, Apple1 said:

I don't understand why anyone would even think about eating a regular popsicle?? Your body does not need the sugar and it would just lead to more cravings. Our stomachs are so small at this point I would be focusing on healthy foods.

Well lets be completely honest if we didnt THINK about eating regular foods we wouldnt of ended up here jn the first place correct? I have not had the surgery yet and haven't been given my pre-op diet yet. It was just a question so I knew if it would affect the sleeve or if it was more so that it affects us in emotional Cravings or physical cravings. So in terms of understanding why I would want to eat a regular popsicle it's because personally The Taste can be off-putting of a sugar-free popsicle sometimes so I did not know if there were specific reasons

36 minutes ago, Cassicakes01 said:

Well lets be completely honest if we didnt THINK about eating regular foods we wouldnt of ended up here jn the first place correct? I have not had the surgery yet and haven't been given my pre-op diet yet. It was just a question so I knew if it would affect the sleeve or if it was more so that it affects us in emotional Cravings or physical cravings. So in terms of understanding why I would want to eat a regular popsicle it's because personally The Taste can be off-putting of a sugar-free popsicle sometimes so I did not know if there were specific reasons

I agree that SF pops taste like crap. Can't stand the taste of sucralose.

Best bet is to try and make your own pops with like dabs of sugar. Like 1-3g each. Shouldn't take much to flavor it.

Actually my doctor recommended regular popsicles when I first had my surgery and was sent home on a liquid diet. I am diabetic however. So my Blood sugar would get into the low 70's and yeaaaah...that was super not fun. Usually like a popsicle or half of a popsicle would help me pop back out of it. However now when I want something sweet I tend to go for fruit, without the skin since I'm on soft foods. (especially apples ((they call it natures candy!))).

Also I've tried freezing ripe bananas and blending them with Peanut Butter to make ice cream! So if you get desperate for sweets on Soft foods I recommend trying that.

(But you know....the sugar free Jello ain't bad)

SW: 328

CW: 256

GW: 150

Surgery date: January 12, 2017

1 hour ago, Cassicakes01 said:

I am truly sorry and I didn't mean for my post to sound rude or insensitive. I know for me sugar raises my blood sugar and can also create cravings for more. I was thinking maybe divert your thinking to which healthy foods you could eat in place of a popsicle. I don't usually like sugar free foods either so I just don't eat them at all.

I could have phrased that much better.

10 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I am truly sorry and I didn't mean for my post to sound rude or insensitive. I know for me sugar raises my blood sugar and can also create cravings for more. I was thinking maybe divert your thinking to which healthy foods you could eat in place of a popsicle. I don't usually like sugar free foods either so I just don't eat them at all.

I could have phrased that much better.

Apple,

No worries at all hon!!! This internet can make it hard for interpretation. I hope my response didnt come off rude, if it did i greatly apologize. Honestly my biggest thing to overcome will be the drinking of the soda so if you have any suggestions for that I would love to hear them. I'm much more of a Savory person then a sweets person. Another reason I asked is because I found these amazing lime popsicles but they are not sugar free I will definitely stick with all of your advice about sugar free.

11 hours ago, NixNichi said:

Actually my doctor recommended regular popsicles when I first had my surgery and was sent home on a liquid diet. I am diabetic however. So my Blood sugar would get into the low 70's and yeaaaah...that was super not fun. Usually like a popsicle or half of a popsicle would help me pop back out of it. However now when I want something sweet I tend to go for fruit, without the skin since I'm on soft foods. (especially apples ((they call it natures candy!))).

Also I've tried freezing ripe bananas and blending them with Peanut Butter to make ice cream! So if you get desperate for sweets on Soft foods I recommend trying that.

(But you know....the sugar free Jello ain't bad)

That is amazing that your doctor was able to find a solution to help with your diabetes. The sugar free Jello definitely is not bad I look forward to that. Thank you so much for the suggestion for the soft foods. Now for the liquid diet would you be able to blend up fresh fruits and make your own popsicles or would that not be liquid enough?

12 hours ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

I agree that SF pops taste like crap. Can't stand the taste of sucralose.

Best bet is to try and make your own pops with like dabs of sugar. Like 1-3g each. Shouldn't take much to flavor it.

Thank you so much for the suggestion they will definitely look up recipes for this.

6 hours ago, Cassicakes01 said:

Apple,

No worries at all hon!!! This internet can make it hard for interpretation. I hope my response didnt come off rude, if it did i greatly apologize. Honestly my biggest thing to overcome will be the drinking of the soda so if you have any suggestions for that I would love to hear them. I'm much more of a Savory person then a sweets person. Another reason I asked is because I found these amazing lime popsicles but they are not sugar free I will definitely stick with all of your advice about sugar free.

THank you.

I would look for low sugar juices and freeze them or even yogurt. That could work! I have always avoided frozen bananas because they have a lot of natural sugar, but if you aren't diabetic they can be blended and make a nice creamy ice cream lol

That is amazing that your doctor was able to find a solution to help with your diabetes. The sugar free Jello definitely is not bad I look forward to that. Thank you so much for the suggestion for the soft foods. Now for the liquid diet would you be able to blend up fresh fruits and make your own popsicles or would that not be liquid enough?

That's an interesting question. It might not be enough liquid for the liquid part of your diet. Maybe add a little yogurt to them XD