Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I purchased all of the stuff and used like nothing. I never even opened my baby plates, but for some people I could see it being helpful. I also loaded up on Protein Shakes pre surgery and then post op decided I didn't like half of them anymore, so don't get too many because tastes can change.
I recommend the following:
- Abdominal binder. My tummy started deflating as I was healing still and the binder helped a lot with keeping things taut so the hanging skin didn't hurt my incisions.
- Chapstick
- food scale. Everyone who recommends it is spot on!
- Miralax. You are somewhat limited on what you can take post surgery, but Miralax is a safe bet to get things ~moving~
- Sugarfree Popsicles. When you go from normal person to being on a very restricted diet, these feel like a nice treat and give you a little something to crunch
- Fill your prescriptions ahead of time. You don't want to be in line at CVS while feeling like crap and you absolutely want to stay ahead of the pain

Sugarfree popsicles for the win!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

Small cooler to carry with you you have to drink drink drink all the time. Also while doing the pre op you are drinking constantly. It will take forever to finish somethi g so keeping it cold is going to be the key. The Protein Drinks are worse warm!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

A really good pair of sneakers. after surgery you should start walking as it will help not only to help the continued weight loss, but also really helps to move the gas and heal your body.

I also would suggest a Fitbit or some other pedometer, to track your steps and motivate you to keep active. This has been a HUGE help to keeping me moving.

Good luck!

21 minutes ago, Sparklez said:

Hi I like the idea of the medicine cups. Where did you find them? Thanks

My local grocery store has little cups of several types kinda scattered through the store. Walmart probably has them too.

We didn't use the little medicine cups in the hospital. They just had 4 ounce plastic cups and 8 ounce Water bottles. So I never tried using the little 1-2oz cups. I just took my time with regular ones. Now, a couple months out, I use the biggest cups I can find.

When I first started purees I heated up 1/2 a can of Soup in a regular sized bowl. Took two bites and was stuffed. This was the most distressed I have been in the process.

Weighing and measuring food into the small bowls has made a world of difference, psychologically. 2 ounces of food in a 6 ounce bowl looks ok. And long term, we only eat 4oz of most things at a time.

14957952403791152330659.jpg

Big spoon, regular spoon, demitasse spoon.

After 2 months of using the smallest spoon, the others look grotesque, lol.

14957955491721139904066.jpg

A really good pair of sneakers. after surgery you should start walking as it will help not only to help the continued weight loss, but also really helps to move the gas and heal your body.
I also would suggest a Fitbit or some other pedometer, to track your steps and motivate you to keep active. This has been a HUGE help to keeping me moving.
Good luck!

My list is growing [emoji4] haha my husband is so happy about that [emoji13]
I have the Fitbit blaze so I will definitely charge it up again...
so many great ideas... thank you

After you have your surgery you will have a lot of gas pain the gas x strips will help a lot with that. Mira lax is going to be your friend that is going to get things moving once you are able to start eating food it is a horrible feeling to be constipated after surgery. Bottled Water and flavor packets to put in them if you don't like plain water, sugar free pudding cups, SF popsicles, cream Soups, yogurt, Protein Shakes ( i like premier ), any medicines you need filled get them filled ahead of time so you won't have to stand in line or wait on them after surgery, Vitamins, i got sugar free hard candy to suck on after surgery because my mouth stayed dry

Sent from my VS986 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm curious why you need to add Gas-X strips? It is an Internet myth that they help with the CO2 gas pain in your abdominal cavity after laparoscopic surgery. That pain is only improved by lots of walking and time.

I am 5 weeks post op and the gas strips or chewable gas x (the equate brand is just as good, imo, and much less expensive) have been a life saver. It is true that they don't help with the CO2 gas (only walking helps with that) but it does help with actual gas. I used them a lot and still do since I'm still learning what my system can and can't handle. Sometimes I get gas from nothing (but I was that way before surgery too) so those chewable pills really helped and, to me, they don't take up space you need for your shakes and Water.

Hi I like the idea of the medicine cups. Where did you find them? Thanks

I didn't use medicine chips, but rather a "shot glass". Wal-Mart or any kitchen supply area should have a 1 oz measuring cup. (Wal-Mart is where I got mine). It will come in handy for cooking later on as well as helping with sipping now and post op.

I completely agree with hopefulvspgirl I bought so many protien shakes I couldn't stand them after surgery so a lot of $$ down the drain. I also me get used baby plates or cutlery. The one recommendation I have is probably TMI but I would have Monistat our some form thereof my doctor had me on so many antibiotics while I was in the hospital that I was miserable about 3 days in at home. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

After you have your surgery you will have a lot of gas pain the gas x strips will help a lot with that. Mira lax is going to be your friend that is going to get things moving once you are able to start eating food it is a horrible feeling to be constipated after surgery. Bottled Water and flavor packets to put in them if you don't like plain water, sugar free pudding cups, SF popsicles, cream Soups, yogurt, Protein Shakes ( i like premier ), any medicines you need filled get them filled ahead of time so you won't have to stand in line or wait on them after surgery, Vitamins, i got sugar free hard candy to suck on after surgery because my mouth stayed dry

Sent from my VS986 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hmmm...I see a lot of people swear by the premier shakes, but my dieticians don't allow me to use them. They say that the vitamins in them aren't as digested as the shakes geared toward bariatric patients. Also cream soups and puddings (even sugar free) aren't allowed because they are fairly carb rich. Oh how I would love some chocolate pudding right now. Especially while my family eats mocha chocolate cream graduation cake! Lol

Sugar free popsicles... yes yes yes! And flavor packets! If you get a vanilla shake favor and get tired of it, you can add the sugar free water packets to that as well to change it up a bit!

Ok so I am one of those people that make lists and start buying things early [emoji28][emoji28].
So I have decided to compile a list and start buying a few things, anyone have anything to add?
- blender that can crush ice
- baby cutlery
- small plates, bowls etc
- small containers
- those medicine cups ( was told they are a God-Send when learning to sip water)
- vitamins
- Protein shakes

Jello cups. Cream Soup ( not cream corn) . popsicles. Greek Yogart. chicken broth( low sodium).

Sent from my LGLS992 using BariatricPal mobile app