Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months out and now having gallbladder removed!

I too would like to know if there is a way to prevent gallbladder issues postop. I know kidney stones are a result of not enough water/fluids but not sure about the gall...

My doctor has his patients take Actigall for 9 mths post op to help prevent gallbladder issues

I am in the hospital now waiting for my coumadin levels to go down so that I can have my gallbladder removed. I am in soooo much pain.[emoji27][emoji20]

Sent from my LG-K430 using BariatricPal mobile app

The coumadin levels took too long to go down so the doctors put a drainage in and once the inflammation and infection is gone they will operate. They told me in 6 weeks.

Sent from my LG-K430 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh man, that sucks :(

I had the opportunity to get a pharmacist to do some research for me. He looked up studies pertaining to frequency of gallbladder issues post bariatric surgery. He had trouble finding a lot of research, but did find 3 studies on sleeved patients. 28%, 37%, and 48% of patients had trouble with their gallbladders postop.

That is huge! 1 in 3 patients! Now not all of those patients needed removals, some just developed stones or such.

Actigall is helpful and should be taken by every patient for at least 6 months.

I'm a little over 8 months post surgery, and about 2 days ago I got this pain on the right side of my abdomen, which went away in less than an hour. But it came back yesterday and lasted about 2-3 hours. I took some acetaminophen and that may have been why the pain went away, and then I was fine until this evening when it started again. Does this sound like a gallbladder thing? It's the first time I've ever felt this sort of pain so I don't really know what's happening.

I'm a little over 8 months post surgery, and about 2 days ago I got this pain on the right side of my abdomen, which went away in less than an hour. But it came back yesterday and lasted about 2-3 hours. I took some acetaminophen and that may have been why the pain went away, and then I was fine until this evening when it started again. Does this sound like a gallbladder thing? It's the first time I've ever felt this sort of pain so I don't really know what's happening.

I got my gallbladder out in 2009, totally unrelated to weight as I was super healthy then. Anyway, the pain is right under your ribs kind of like heartburn. The pain can radiate but I wanted to reach under my ribs and squeeze my organs to make the pain better. Weird, I know but the pain was that bad and my brain just told me that would be the solution. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I'd pace my driveway crying in pain if I wasn't busy puking. Lower right pain could be appendicitis, gas, Constipation, or if you're female, (sorry I didn't notice if you said) ovarian cysts.

7 hours ago, KateBruin said:

I got my gallbladder out in 2009, totally unrelated to weight as I was super healthy then. Anyway, the pain is right under your ribs kind of like heartburn. The pain can radiate but I wanted to reach under my ribs and squeeze my organs to make the pain better. Weird, I know but the pain was that bad and my brain just told me that would be the solution. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I'd pace my driveway crying in pain if I wasn't busy puking. Lower right pain could be appendicitis, gas, Constipation, or if you're female, (sorry I didn't notice if you said) ovarian cysts.

I actually do find myself clutching at the area where the pain is, as though it'll help at all. I haven't had any nausea or anything, just the pain really. It'd be nice if it was just gas, but the gas relief chews don't seem to help. I've called my doctor just in case. It's been 3 nights in a row and I just need to know what's happening in there.

My surgeon put me on Ursodiol-300mg 2x/day. It's a medication you take for a year after surgery to prevent gallstones and/or gallbladder sludge. I'm hoping it will work as she says.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:19 AM, KateBruin said:

This was my experience as well. I had my gallbladder removed in 2007, some 9 years before my sleeve surgery. I lost 100 pounds on my own. I would get severe pain in my stomach area above the belly button and it would last for hours. I went to the hospital on four separate occasions and they told me it was indigestion. Finally on the 5th time, I was yellow from head to toe, lost my appetite, and would vomit anything I would try to eat or drink. It was at this point they finally diagnosed the gallbladder.

Just got word that mine has to come out. No stones were present on ultrasound so my surgeon sent me for a HIDA scan and my ejection fraction was 85% which is out of the normal range. My surgeon also stated that ultrasound is only about 85% accurate so there could be stones no present on ultrasound.