Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This whole process has not been scary at all, except the thought of not being able to eat for an entire week. I am mortified that I will fail and will have my surgery postponed. How did y'all cope and get through that week on the liquids? I am such a creature of habit and probably a bit OCD. SO when things get out of order, I get nervous. Any tips, tricks or things to help me focus are appreciated. Thanks!

This whole process has not been scary at all, except the thought of not being able to eat for an entire week. I am mortified that I will fail and will have my surgery postponed. How did y'all cope and get through that week on the liquids? I am such a creature of habit and probably a bit OCD. SO when things get out of order, I get nervous. Any tips, tricks or things to help me focus are appreciated. Thanks!

I'm on day 6 of my clear liquid diet. I cannot have Protein Shakes - only Protein Powder mixed with a lot of Water to make a fat free milk consistency. I can have sugar free popsicles and Jello plus am allowed low sodium broth.
My worst decision was not weaning myself from coffee before this diet. On days 1 and 2 I had such a bad headache that I couldn't function. That on top of the weakness and dizziness of not eating anything. I must admit that on day 1 around 2:30pm, I cheated and had 3 ounces of beef. It was glorious and immediately made me feel better for the rest of the evening. Then on day 2 I had a bite (literally) of a roast I had cooked and was able to stop there because, again, it made me feel amazingly better. I had hope that on day 3 I wouldn't cheat at all and I didn't. I had lost so much in the 10 weeks before this point that I wasn't worried about 3.2 ounces of food hurting my changes at surgery. The purpose is to shrink the liver and I'm sure losing 50 pounds had done a fairly good job at that. But I wasn't going to cheat again because I wasn't going to feel like needed to.
Day 3 was better... and worse. I wasn't so hungry anymore and definitely not so dizzy or headachy. I was very cranky and continue to be so even on day 6. Now, it IS the week before my period which is normally my cranky time, so I can't be sure that it's solely due to lack of food. Here's what I've done so far to help any hunger and keep my sanity:

I have at least 50g of Protein in water throughout the day to keep me satisfied.

When I get tired of everything tasting sweet, I make a nice hot cup of broth. I buy extreme low sodium because I can add a little bouillon which increases the flavor and salt (not as much as regular broth). I also get other spices out to change it up a bit. Here are some of my favorites - be creative.
Onion powder and a sprinkle of steak seasoning to beef broth
Curry powder to chicken broth

I eat as many SF popsicles or jello that I can. It's weird for me because it seems so wrong, but it's really barely any calories (5) no sugar or carbs. So it's really just water and sf flavoring. I started out eating at least 6 each a day and then ended up reducing the amount as my hunger reduced. Yesterday I only had 2 popsicles and nothing else - besides my normal 12-18 cups of water a day (plus protein powder)

I've journaled my thoughts multiple times a day. It helps to get it out so you don't explode and give up.

I've cleaned and done more things around the house to keep the clock moving.

Lastly, I made enough food on days 1 and 2 to have leftovers for days 3 and 4. Day 5 I told everyone to fend for themselves. Not having to cook for a family of 5 has saved my sanity.

Hope some of this helps

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

I was able to have a sensible meal, which helped me immensely, but mostly all liquids, for two weeks. It gets easier everyday. Hang in there. You can do it.

Make a schedule and stick to it. Keep yourself busy. If you are a coffee drinker and its not allowed, do wean yourself ahead of time. Crystal Light or Mio in your Water. Different flavors of Protein powder (Quest sells individual packets so you can try a bunch of flavors.) Use Better that Boullion for your broth - it's yummy.

Every time you want to grab for food, have a plan for something to do to take your mind off it. Read a book. Walk around the block. Climb up and down the stairs at home. Binge an episode of something on Netflix. Have a plan and stick to it. It's 7 days. Before you get a chance to start your new life. And a new life it is.

Use the time to make lists of all the things you want to do as you get thinner. How do you want to mark milestones? First 20 pounds? 50? 100? Goal Weight? Make a list of things you haven't done that you can do at goal weight - zipline? acrobatic yoga (you know with the silks hanging off the ceiling)? Skydiving?

Sort your clothes -- find those skinny clothes in the back of the closet. Pick out what pair of pants are going to be your "before" pants you save. Have someone take photos of you now, so you can have some before and after photos.

Join a gym.

I could keep going. But you get the idea.

You got this. You rock. YOU ARE FIERCE. YOU ARE FEARLESS.

Believe it.

Hugs.

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! I am starting a trial run today. I want to prepare myself psychologically. The hunger part isn't the problem, it's the fact that my world has revolved around food for 33 years. I have to develop that new way of thinking. Pray for my strength!! :) :778_heartbeat:

13 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

Make a schedule and stick to it. Keep yourself busy. If you are a coffee drinker and its not allowed, do wean yourself ahead of time. Crystal Light or Mio in your Water. Different flavors of Protein Powder (Quest sells individual packets so you can try a bunch of flavors.) Use Better that Boullion for your broth - it's yummy.

Every time you want to grab for food, have a plan for something to do to take your mind off it. Read a book. Walk around the block. Climb up and down the stairs at home. Binge an episode of something on Netflix. Have a plan and stick to it. It's 7 days. Before you get a chance to start your new life. And a new life it is.

Use the time to make lists of all the things you want to do as you get thinner. How do you want to mark milestones? First 20 pounds? 50? 100? Goal Weight? Make a list of things you haven't done that you can do at goal weight - zipline? acrobatic yoga (you know with the silks hanging off the ceiling)? Skydiving?

Sort your clothes -- find those skinny clothes in the back of the closet. Pick out what pair of pants are going to be your "before" pants you save. Have someone take photos of you now, so you can have some before and after photos.

Join a gym.

I could keep going. But you get the idea.

You got this. You rock. YOU ARE FIERCE. YOU ARE FEARLESS.

Believe it.

Hugs.

This is the most encouraging post I have ever read! I have a lot of the same worries about the preop and even post op diets and this is just.... everything! I will be taking a lot of your advice! I am just getting into the forums and I am glad that I did! Thanks for this!

@Kristen0912 You can do this. From your photo, I'm assuming you are way younger than I am and that will make it easier. I am 55. I have two teenage daughters - one headed to college in the fall, the other into high school.

I was scared &$%!less, but I knew I had to do something. I had been struggling with my weight for my entire life. Think about new sports you want to try. I just started fencing -- as in en garde - stabbing people with a weapon - fencing. I tried running - hated it. I still work out regularly in the gym, but I love fencing. As in, 4-5 hours a week. Last night, 2.5 hours for 1308 calories. I was sweaty. I didn't smell nice. My face was red. But boy did I feel good.

You know what else feels good. Size 10 jeans. The one's I'm wearing right now. Versus the size 22s I was in this time last year and busting out of.

Keep repeating - You are fierce. You are Fearless. You can do this.

How many days prior to surgery do you begin the liquid diet? I don't have my pre op meeting until June 5th....tick tock.

I'm on day 6 of my clear liquid diet. I cannot have Protein Shakes - only Protein powder mixed with a lot of Water to make a fat free milk consistency. I can have sugar free popsicles and Jello plus am allowed low sodium broth.
My worst decision was not weaning myself from coffee before this diet. On days 1 and 2 I had such a bad headache that I couldn't function. That on top of the weakness and dizziness of not eating anything. I must admit that on day 1 around 2:30pm, I cheated and had 3 ounces of beef. It was glorious and immediately made me feel better for the rest of the evening. Then on day 2 I had a bite (literally) of a roast I had cooked and was able to stop there because, again, it made me feel amazingly better. I had hope that on day 3 I wouldn't cheat at all and I didn't. I had lost so much in the 10 weeks before this point that I wasn't worried about 3.2 ounces of food hurting my changes at surgery. The purpose is to shrink the liver and I'm sure losing 50 pounds had done a fairly good job at that. But I wasn't going to cheat again because I wasn't going to feel like needed to.
Day 3 was better... and worse. I wasn't so hungry anymore and definitely not so dizzy or headachy. I was very cranky and continue to be so even on day 6. Now, it IS the week before my period which is normally my cranky time, so I can't be sure that it's solely due to lack of food. Here's what I've done so far to help any hunger and keep my sanity:

I have at least 50g of protein in water throughout the day to keep me satisfied.

When I get tired of everything tasting sweet, I make a nice hot cup of broth. I buy extreme low sodium because I can add a little bouillon which increases the flavor and salt (not as much as regular broth). I also get other spices out to change it up a bit. Here are some of my favorites - be creative.
Onion powder and a sprinkle of steak seasoning to beef broth
Curry powder to chicken broth

I eat as many SF popsicles or jello that I can. It's weird for me because it seems so wrong, but it's really barely any calories (5) no sugar or carbs. So it's really just water and sf flavoring. I started out eating at least 6 each a day and then ended up reducing the amount as my hunger reduced. Yesterday I only had 2 popsicles and nothing else - besides my normal 12-18 cups of water a day (plus protein powder)

I've journaled my thoughts multiple times a day. It helps to get it out so you don't explode and give up.

I've cleaned and done more things around the house to keep the clock moving.

Lastly, I made enough food on days 1 and 2 to have leftovers for days 3 and 4. Day 5 I told everyone to fend for themselves. Not having to cook for a family of 5 has saved my sanity.

Hope some of this helps

CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

What diet did you follow to lose the 53# pre op? That's a fantastic accomplishment in 3 months.

What diet did you follow to lose the 53# pre op? That's a fantastic accomplishment in 3 months.

I followed my dr recommended diet of 1000-1200 calories, very low carb (including natural carbs), very low sugar (even natural) and high lean Proteins. Example would be

Breakfast: 1 egg omelette with half bell pepper, half Tomato, half avocado, and cilantro

Lunch: chicken breast and salad with chopped veggies no dressing (or tbs max)

Dinner: 4-6 ounces of Protein and steamed or grilled veggies.
Snack: almonds

No root veggies and if I needed a snack, I could have some nuts and a half of a citrus fruit or berries.
Looking at the macros each day with food like that, my protein, carb and fat grams would almost always equal each other.

SW: 271 (05/24/17)
CW:

On 5/22/2017 at 4:04 PM, pink_sparkly said:

Just curious how you are doing? I had my pre op meeting yesterday and I was thinking I would not start the liquid diet until the 12th..... but no I start the 7th.....TOMORROW and my surgery is not until the 28th. I have moments were I am totally okay, and then moments were I freak out silently. I cried all the way home from work yesterday.Not sad cry just like a release cry. I told my husband I have no idea why I am so emotional. I am super scared I might snap at a co-worker or my family. This morning my husband asked me how I felt and I told him it is what it is. I was raised by a Marine and we just soldier through stuff. I am excited and nervous and I welcome this new adventure. But the unknown is very scary. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I tried it out for a few days and it's definitely hard. I tried to drink as much Water, Powerade zero, and propel as possible. That seemed to help, but I was still wanting to have something in my mouth. I may try again and incorporate sf gum too. I think once I get to the "HAVE TO" stage, I will do better. It's all psychological for me. If I know I can still have something, I do, and I want it more. But if I know I cannot, it's a little easier. Thank you for the encouragement and prayers! I definitely need them!! I hope your days go smoothly and it passes quickly. You are also in my thoughts and prayers. :) xo

I found this website because of this topic, so I really appreciate the advice. My doctor seems to have a different liver reduction diet than others that I've read about. For the first week, it's two Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement Protein Shakes, two Bariatric Snacks, and a "lean and green" meal. The second week, which I started today, is five Bariatric Advantage meal replacement shakes each day. The first week wasn't too bad. All day I looked forward to my actual real food (which my sweet husband prepared for me). However, I was hungry a lot. Today has been harder, as there's no actual food. The five shakes added together are only 750 calories. I'm sure I've been eating way more than that for years. The chocolate Bariatric Advantage is fine, but the Orange Cream tastes like orange Metamucil to me. I've done the math and I only have to have five more orange ones and the rest can be chocolate.

I'm hoping that the liquid diet afterward won't be so bad because I'll be in recovery. However, that Isopure doesn't look very good to me.