Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing 1 Year of 3 Year Weight History

I have done everything.. I have passed all the tests. I have jumped through all the hoops.. The only thing I do not have is 1 year of my 3 year documented weight history. I didn't go to the doctor in 2016. I was told I would be denied the first time I submitted and that it was normal. The insurance coordinator told me I could submit dated photos for the missing year. That was almost two weeks ago. My surgery has already been set for June 15th. Has anyone else had success using pictures for weight history?

5'10"

CW 328

BMI 47

Is your insurance self-funded, or county/city contracted? How many years history is required - seems a little extreme.

I have BCBS Alabama through local government. They require 3 years documented weight history or dated photographs. I spoke to my insurance coordinator and she doesn't seem concerned. They scheduled my surgery and said to get ready.. Just makes me nervous.

Thanks. I am trying not to worry. This whole process has been an emotional rollercoaster..lol

Edited by MzKelly615
Spelling

Same issue here. I have my pre-op and the coordinator said not to worry about the weight history. I have none. Getting on scales was a big fear. I have bc/bs Federal. Hope my luck is like your's!

I used Facebook pictures because they are automatically dated. Good luck to you!! I'm sure you will be fine. 😊

I'm scheduled for Surgery on May 30th & still worry about some BS insurance issue. If I downed all these shakes & for some reason they start chirping I'm going to flip out! Hopefully they just disappear long enough for most of your stomach to do the same. That's what I'm hoping for as well. Good luck!

I refused to get excited about my surgery or even think about it until I was approved. This has been such an emotionally up and down journey. I don't know if I could have taken it if they would have denied me..lol Good luck to you too!

My wife is in this exact same situation. She has proof of weight BMI 35+ with sleep apnea and depression from 2014, 2015, and 2017 from the doctor's office. She did not go to a doctor in 2016. She does have documented photos from 2016 with weight and date from when she tried to lose weight with one of those direct marketing shake companies. We are Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal. She is now BMI 41+.

Is that lack of medial weight documentation from 2016 going to be a problem and reset her weight history clock?

I have BCBS AL and was approved. I used fb photos because they are dated. It took a little longer but it was approved. If your policy states they will accept photos, there shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

My wife is in this exact same situation. She has proof of weight BMI 35+ with sleep apnea and depression from 2014, 2015, and 2017 from the doctor's office. She did not go to a doctor in 2016. She does have documented photos from 2016 with weight and date from when she tried to lose weight with one of those direct marketing shake companies. We are Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal. She is now BMI 41+.
Is that lack of medial weight documentation from 2016 going to be a problem and reset her weight history clock?

So long as the sleep apnea is documented by a physician or a sleep study report. Depression is not considered a comorbidity for WLS. She didn't see a do tor in 2016 for anything. Annual, mamo , flu? They may make her start again. Everything must be documented for bcbs FEP.
I got approval in 2 days. But I gathered tons of documents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app