Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone who has had the sleeve surgery have small or school aged children? Did you tell them beforehand? How did they process your weight loss and physical change?

Yeah I have a toddler and was sleeved last month. She's noticed a difference and so have I, at our playgroup I can chase her and not be winded. She likes using the now shrinking boob's as drums and keeps checking they are there as they not so big lol

Our wee one is still young but having friends with school-age kids and had surgery too the biggest issue they had is when their kids told the whole school about the surgery.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal mobile app

Our wee one is still young but having friends with school-age kids and had surgery too the biggest issue they had is when their kids told the whole school about the surgery.

My worry right now... I want to tell my 7 year old, I want him to see what a process this is for me but I'm not sure he'd keep it to himself so still weighing my options...

I told my 5 year old daughter (5 and a half more precisely) that I was getting my stomach cut out because daddy's too fat caused by eating too much sugary garbage food and drinking too many sodas. She's been tracking the wounds on my abdominal region as well since surgery (I prefer walking around the house shirtless unless we have company), and I've answered all questions she has as best I can.

There's a couple factors for this.. 1) I'm shamelessly direct with people, 2) I think it's counterproductive to removing the stigma by being secretive and/or shameful about it, 3) I don't beat around the bush when it comes to informing my daughter -- I want all my children to know everything, and 3) She needs to understand the consequences of decisions, and not make the dumb mistakes daddy did. So rather than just keep her away from sugary junk (not entirely, just very limited) with no explanation, which is more likely to lead to a rebellious attitude about it, it's simply more in line with my personality and what I think raising a child smartly should be like.

Because of the lifestyle changes I've made with great results, my wife has begun changing things too (after months of me nagging her about soda and wanting her to reduce her carb intake dramatically) and my daughter is engaged in understanding why we do the things we do. It's entirely possible she talks to people at school and student care (i.e. after-school care) about it, but most of them already know my circumstances anyways, and I really don't care what others think, or what they approve or disapprove of. If they have an issue with the choices I make they can confront me, otherwise, couldn't give a toss what others think.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Patienteleventybillion! [emoji4][emoji177]

I totally agree with being blunt about this surgery, my MIL constantly nags me about it and tries to say it's not a miracle cure etc - duh! Just cause she was too old for it doesn't mean she gets to be an expert.

Anyway, I try and explain to our two and half year old that mummy is shrinking to ensure play time is as long as possible, that she's here for as long as possible.

When she's older I will explain it again but my main motivation for this surgery which took me ten years to get is to learn new skills, learn how to be healthy and put it into practice. Am I succeeding? Yes, do I fail sometimes - yes.

But I will never ever let my daughter and any other children we are blessed with make my mistakes.

My 11 year old son knows about the surgery, but is confused why I'm still big. Everyday it's "why is your butt so fat?" Sigh. Before the surgery he very rarely mentioned my weight. I'm 2 months out.

Funny story... I was at chik fil a getting meals to go home for 2 kids, and one for the daughter that went with me. The worker thought I was ordering two meals for myself. I guess that could have embarassing before surgery, but knowing now that I could only eat maybe 1/2 of a chicken patty.. it was hilarious.

My worry right now... I want to tell my 7 year old, I want him to see what a process this is for me but I'm not sure he'd keep it to himself so still weighing my options...

I know exactly what you mean. I have a 9 year old who I'm debating on telling for that reason.

My 11 year old son knows about the surgery, but is confused why I'm still big. Everyday it's "why is your butt so fat?" Sigh. Before the surgery he very rarely mentioned my weight. I'm 2 months out.
Funny story... I was at chik fil a getting meals to go home for 2 kids, and one for the daughter that went with me. The worker thought I was ordering two meals for myself. I guess that could have embarassing before surgery, but knowing now that I could only eat maybe 1/2 of a chicken patty.. it was hilarious.

It's funny how kids take in the things that we are focused on as I'm sure being 2 months out it's been a major change for you.
As for rude chick fil a employees I have no words. Good for you for not letting it get to you!
Best of luck to you!!

I told my 5 year old daughter (5 and a half more precisely) that I was getting my stomach cut out because daddy's too fat caused by eating too much sugary garbage food and drinking too many sodas. She's been tracking the wounds on my abdominal region as well since surgery (I prefer walking around the house shirtless unless we have company), and I've answered all questions she has as best I can.
There's a couple factors for this.. 1) I'm shamelessly direct with people, 2) I think it's counterproductive to removing the stigma by being secretive and/or shameful about it, 3) I don't beat around the bush when it comes to informing my daughter -- I want all my children to know everything, and 3) She needs to understand the consequences of decisions, and not make the dumb mistakes daddy did. So rather than just keep her away from sugary junk (not entirely, just very limited) with no explanation, which is more likely to lead to a rebellious attitude about it, it's simply more in line with my personality and what I think raising a child smartly should be like.
Because of the lifestyle changes I've made with great results, my wife has begun changing things too (after months of me nagging her about soda and wanting her to reduce her carb intake dramatically) and my daughter is engaged in understanding why we do the things we do. It's entirely possible she talks to people at school and student care (i.e. after-school care) about it, but most of them already know my circumstances anyways, and I really don't care what others think, or what they approve or disapprove of. If they have an issue with the choices I make they can confront me, otherwise, couldn't give a toss what others think.

Thanks for the reply. I think it's great you are open about it. And that's true that its a lesson for our kids to learn about healthy eating and the consequences of our choices. You are right to not care what others think too because ultimately you're getting healthy and improving your quality of life so what is wrong with that.

I've got a 4, 7, and a 12 year old. All girls. They know that the doc had to fix my stomach so I can get healthier and in turn, I'll get smaller. My 7 year old exclaimed "Nooooooo, I don't want you to get that way. I love you the way you are now!" Awww. Lol.

14 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

tfw you realize you suck at counting to 4 and can't go back and edit a post.

nej5Sro.gif

lol. I don't anyone really caught it. I had to go back and read it to see for myself. 😂

I am raising my grandchildren who were 3 and 6 at time of surgery. I told them from the day I decided to do this. Immediately my grandson and I started measuring my waist. (How big/little the gap was before he could completely get his arms around me!) I love it! We love it! Of course they said things like when will I be skinny or your butt is big. They don't understand ideal or goal weights. They do understand that there is no way to say someone is fat. So we don't say it. I had surgey 10/16 and still 70 lbs from goal. And now they tell me I am sooo skinny. Lol