Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My daughter was 7 at the time of my surgery, she knew I was going to the hospital for an operation but I did not give her details, only told her sometimes things go wrong and the Dr decides you need an operation to put things right. I had so many issues growing up due to people (family friends and complete strangers) commenting on my body. I wasn't overweight as a child but I developed early and needed a bra by 9 yrs old. Grownups and other children began commenting on my body constantly, it got worse when I started to put on weight. I decided not to share specifics with my daughter because I am paranoid about making her conscious in a negative way about her body at such a young age. When we discuss food choices etc and lifestyle it's always in terms of health, not looks. It might be just my paranoia due to my own past and she could be perfectly fine with knowing exactly what happened, but I just wasn't comfortable sharing that I had bariatric surgery with her while she's still so small. I was worried that she would make a connection in her mind that if she doesn't like something about her body, she could just have an operation. When she's older I will tell her the truth.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, linah said:

I was worried that she would make a connection in her mind that if she doesn't like something about her body, she could just have an operation. When she's older I will tell her the truth.

I also worry about that. My older son shows tendencies to take to food as if it's a solution to everything and I fear he will follow in my foot steps. I don't want him thinking he can uncontrollably eat and then just get an operation and fix it... but I mean who am I to know how he will take to it so I'm still not sure about what to tell him. Maybe my new eating regimen and the fact that I will lose weight will be enough to create a positive image.

I've got 5 kids (ages 11, 10, 8, 6, and 4).

I told them a few days before surgery because I didn't want them to worry OR to blab it to everyone. I explained the surgery itself and that I was doing it to be healthier. The 4 year old didn't really "get" that, so I also said it was make me run faster :) I also told them that health information is private and it's my news to share. Other than a preschool prayer request for "Mama's operation on her tummy" I think they've kept fairly quiet about it. lol

The kids have been awesome supporters! They cheered me on when I graduated from full fluids to purees to soft foods and to regular textures and comment on my now too loose clothes. The other day my 8 year old said, "Mama, even your FACE is getting skinny!"

I've got 5 kids (ages 11, 10, 8, 6, and 4).
I told them a few days before surgery because I didn't want them to worry OR to blab it to everyone. I explained the surgery itself and that I was doing it to be healthier. The 4 year old didn't really "get" that, so I also said it was make me run faster [emoji4] I also told them that health information is private and it's my news to share. Other than a preschool prayer request for "Mama's operation on her tummy" I think they've kept fairly quiet about it. lol
The kids have been awesome supporters! They cheered me on when I graduated from full fluids to purees to soft foods and to regular textures and comment on my now too loose clothes. The other day my 8 year old said, "Mama, even your FACE is getting skinny!"

That's so nice!

On 5/22/2017 at 5:23 AM, gryffen said:

Patienteleventybillion!

I totally agree with being blunt about this surgery, my MIL constantly nags me about it and tries to say it's not a miracle cure etc - duh! Just cause she was too old for it doesn't mean she gets to be an expert.

Anyway, I try and explain to our two and half year old that mummy is shrinking to ensure play time is as long as possible, that she's here for as long as possible.

When she's older I will explain it again but my main motivation for this surgery which took me ten years to get is to learn new skills, learn how to be healthy and put it into practice. Am I succeeding? Yes, do I fail sometimes - yes.

But I will never ever let my daughter and any other children we are blessed with make my mistakes.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have to pray my kids break this cycle, I'm so afraid of my kids every having weight struggle, it's so hard. All we can do is model right choices and pray 4 the best

Anyone who has had the sleeve surgery have small or school aged children? Did you tell them beforehand? How did they process your weight loss and physical change?

I have a 9 yr old who was 8 when I was sleeved and a 6 yr old I was sleeved 02/17/2017 I didn't tell my kids I was having surgery done until they day of when I had to leave them for a day and wouldn't be home that night I just basically told them I was doing all of this for them and well as myself so I can be here longer to love them longer by being a healthier me now I can be active with them without having to sit out we go to the park we go to the pool looking forward to hitting the beach this summer we also do my very favorite thing we go roller skating they love it

I have 3 girls, 11, 8, 6, and I didn't tell them.

We eat healthy at home and I've been doing Crossift 4x's a week for over 2 years. I'm always talking about being healthy, getting exercise, etc, so I know they won't be surprised when the weight starts coming off -- they will see that I've been working at it.

For the overnight and the following days I was home recovering we told them I had the stomach bug and couldn't stop throwing up (which wasn't a total lie, I had awful nausea and was throwing up for a few days).

There's so much that goes into young girls and their body image that I just didn't feel that they needed to know what I was doing to myself. Maybe I'll tell them eventually, maybe not.

I had surgery last summer and at the time had two boys going into 11th grade, a freshman in high school, and a 5th grader. They all know. They have encouraged me to be active and have been cheerleaders for me every step. My kids all do sports (cross country, soccer, swimming, basketball) and before wls I spent a lot of time taking them to the gym...now I go with them. it's strengthened my relationship with the older kids for sure. I can keep up with them!