Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Size of sleeved stomach after a band revision when patient isnt carrying that much excess weight.

Can anybody tell me if the size of a sleeved stomach is a standard thing or does it vary from person to person? I had my band removed three months ago and gained back 21lbs in that time - so am worried that my sleeve will be bigger than a standard sleeve because I dont have that much weight to lose. I just dont want to be able to eat larger portion sizes than I could with the band as I know that is what kept my weight off for 10 years. I hear about everybody being happy with the conversion but if there is anybody in a similar situation to me who could tell me how much they lost after surgery and whether they actually lost more than their goal weight because they were not that overweight at the time of revision. Thank you in advance kind people.

Sent from my SM-G955F using BariatricPal mobile app

The size of the sleeve is the same for everyone. Decided by the size of the boogie the instrument that your surgeon use.

I'm in sort of the same boat but i have the opposite concern. I am 5'7" and weigh 170. I'm getting the band out and the sleeve in one surgery this coming Friday. I don't have my pre op appt with the doc until the day before and I was going to ask him if he could make the sleeve bigger to avoid acid reflux, dehydration and to hopefully decrease complications. I've had the fill completely out for 2 weeks and already gained 5 lbs! But I was successful in losing 85% of my weight on the band and kept it off 10 years so I don't know if I need such a small sleeve. But from what newbie says, maybe I don't have a choice.

Per my surgeon, Band to Sleeve patients tend to have slightly larger pouches b/c of all the scar tissue from the band. That's why we tend to lose slightly less weight than virgin sleevers.

Mine is the size of a banana holds 250mls - so no different to any first time sleever. It all depends on the size of the boogie your surgeon uses.

Sleeves are the shape of a banana not the size of a banana. Most bananas are larger than a sleeve, much larger.

The size is going to vary for everyone because even though they use the boogie as a guide, they can only get so close to it and then end size is going to depend on the beginning size of the stomach which is different for every single person.

I will never understand the obsession over the size of the sleeve, when the function of it is more important.

Outsidematchinginside - I asked the question originally and the reference to size in my asking relates to the volume the new stomach can can actually hold - not specifically how big it is. It IS important because it gives people a good indication of exactly how much their new stomach can hold. I previously had a lap band so never could eat massive volume anyway. My portion sizes with the sleeve will be relatively similar - thank goodness.

I was told it's about the size of a piece of string cheese.

19 hours ago, Bandy2sleeve said:

Outsidematchinginside - I asked the question originally and the reference to size in my asking relates to the volume the new stomach can can actually hold - not specifically how big it is. It IS important because it gives people a good indication of exactly how much their new stomach can hold. I previously had a lap band so never could eat massive volume anyway. My portion sizes with the sleeve will be relatively similar - thank goodness.

How much your sleeve can hold depends entirely on what you are eating and the moisture content. It changes over time and it is different for everyone.

The size of your sleeve isn't important,what you choose to eat is.

Trying to base your portion sizes on the size is your sleeve is not a good idea. Portions should be measured/weighed and align to goals.

Sleeve size and restriction changes over time, read posts from long term people that have regained.

You can eat a family size bag of chips with a sleeve or 3 to 6 ounces of Protein.

Can anybody tell me if the size of a sleeved stomach is a standard thing or does it vary from person to person? I had my band removed three months ago and gained back 21lbs in that time - so am worried that my sleeve will be bigger than a standard sleeve because I dont have that much weight to lose. I just dont want to be able to eat larger portion sizes than I could with the band as I know that is what kept my weight off for 10 years. I hear about everybody being happy with the conversion but if there is anybody in a similar situation to me who could tell me how much they lost after surgery and whether they actually lost more than their goal weight because they were not that overweight at the time of revision. Thank you in advance kind people.

I have this same fear 🙁

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app