Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I'll Need After Surgery (besides food)

Hi guys, first I'm really sorry to post this because I'm sure it's been posted many times before. Unfortunately, the website won't load on my iPad at all anymore unless I wait about half an hour, and the search function on the app won't search the whole site or returns results that aren't relevant. It's barely functional on my iPad. So if you could help a girl out, I'd be so so grateful!

My RNY surgery is scheduled for May 25. I think I have a good handle on what I'll need food wise since I have a detailed manual from the surgeon's office. I've got sugar free Jello, Unjury unflavored & chicken Soup flavored Protein on the way. One of those big insulated cups that keeps my Water ice cold. I'll be picking up a few other things too, like crystal light for the unflavored Protein Powder, veggie broth, that zero calorie Gatorade, etc.

But other than the food stuff, I'm not sure what would be helpful. I feel like there must be other things I should have, and Im really at a loss!! Do I need a food scale? Some kind of....bariatric sized tupperware type containers? I'm wracking my brain and just don't know!! What was helpful for you the first few months post op? What could you not live without?

Thanks soooo much guys!!!

You've got two great suggestions right there: a food scale (doesn't have to be expensive) and some small containers so you can take food with you. You've really got it, but if you're looking for additional items, an attractive water bottle might make it easier for you to drink Water (I've got the Camelbak Eddy, but there are tons of water bottles out there). Also, I got one of those hot water plates for when I started to eat more or less solid food: we have to eat so slowly that my food was stone cold before I even got halfway! As far as cold water goes, you might discover that warm liquids feel better. Everyone's different. And don't worry about getting more food; your tastes might change and that's impossible to predict. Sounds like you're really pretty much ready. Good luck!

RNY 14 April 2017
SW: 295 lb / 134 kg
GW: 187 lb / 85 kg (I'll see when I get there)

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. So I would recommend that you have a set of kitchen measuring cups. They may already be in your kitchen drawers. But as you progress through being an outpatient and your allotted food volume increases, some of the sizes may be difficult to find. Such as 5/16 cup.

After surgery I found that I could no longer swallow medium to large size pills and Vitamins. So therefore you might want to buy a pill splitter and pill crusher. Also the amount of vitamins that you will be taking each day is substantial. It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the vitamins that contain Iron and those that contain Calcium. So in my case I found that what works best for me is to take the iron supplements just before bedtime. I put my vitamins in a weekly pill container. I have one container for the morning and one for the night. And I use a very small glass bowl for my calcium supplements. I put my calciums in the bowl in the morning and take them throughout the day. If I am up and about I put my calciums in a ziplock bag and carry them with me.

I describe my journey through RNY surgery in the following article. It may help you. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Something else to consider getting is a shower chair. You can get them cheap online or at Walmart. 20 days out from surgery and I am still using mine as I tend to get a little dizzy still and it makes for a safer environment for washing my hair and shaving my legs. While your bandages are in place your doctor most likely won't allow you to sit in a bath so that's why I chose a chair.

On 5/21/2017 at 3:37 AM, Katriena said:

You've got two great suggestions right there: a food scale (doesn't have to be expensive) and some small containers so you can take food with you. You've really got it, but if you're looking for additional items, an attractive Water bottle might make it easier for you to drink Water (I've got the Camelbak Eddy, but there are tons of water bottles out there). Also, I got one of those hot water plates for when I started to eat more or less solid food: we have to eat so slowly that my food was stone cold before I even got halfway! As far as cold water goes, you might discover that warm liquids feel better. Everyone's different. And don't worry about getting more food; your tastes might change and that's impossible to predict. Sounds like you're really pretty much ready. Good luck!

RNY 14 April 2017

Katriena, thank you so much for the reply. I keep feeling like time is ticking out and I don't want to realize last minute I've forgotten something I'll need! I'll google for one of the plates you're talking about, and make sure to bring the mini storage containers I have with me too.

thank you again!

On 5/21/2017 at 6:55 AM, James Marusek said:

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. So I would recommend that you have a set of kitchen measuring cups. They may already be in your kitchen drawers. But as you progress through being an outpatient and your allotted food volume increases, some of the sizes may be difficult to find. Such as 5/16 cup.

After surgery I found that I could no longer swallow medium to large size pills and Vitamins. So therefore you might want to buy a pill splitter and pill crusher. Also the amount of Vitamins that you will be taking each day is substantial. It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the vitamins that contain Iron and those that contain Calcium. So in my case I found that what works best for me is to take the Iron supplements just before bedtime. I put my vitamins in a weekly pill container. I have one container for the morning and one for the night. And I use a very small glass bowl for my Calcium supplements. I put my calciums in the bowl in the morning and take them throughout the day. If I am up and about I put my calciums in a ziplock bag and carry them with me.

I describe my journey through RNY surgery in the following article. It may help you. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you for your reply James. I have a few months of liquid and/ or chewable vitamins on hand for the first few months. As long as these seem to be working well for me, I may continue to use them. I'll also look for another set (or two) of Measuring cups that carry the less common sizes. Thank you for the link to your blog.

Do you all have kitchen scales? I'm getting a list together as well.

Yep. Important.

RNY 14 April 2017

Life saver in the hospital: dry mouth spray!!!!!! The worst part of post-op for me was the thirst.

On 5/23/2017 at 2:35 PM, Roux-en-McClanahan said:

Life saver in the hospital: dry mouth spray!!!!!! The worst part of post-op for me was the thirst.

Yes! I'm having problems with a dry mouth now, but I think mine is a combination of all of the meds I'm taking now. I can't wait for June 7th!!!

?ts=1496441463

Edited by Simply_Divine

I used powder Protein mix throughout my pre-op stages. Post surgery (4 days ago for me) there was a surgery mentor who came by while I was in the hospital who recommended getting some pre-made shakes for the beginning post surgical phase. It tends to take a while to drink your serving because you can barely fit an ounce at a time in the beginning, and the powder mix separates when sitting for too long. The pre-made stay smooth and creamy. At first I used vanilla Premier shakes, but quickly got sick of the flavor, so now I have a few others to use. That was so far the most helpful advice I received!

Another thing that is helpful (to me anyway) is finding a medication reminder app to help keep your Vitamins in order and remember to take them. I am currently trying out 2 - One is called Round health, the other is Medisafe. Both have features I like and dislike, but I am finding that I go back to Round more often. It's more cumbersome to put in the meds, but once it's done, you can set the reminders to tell you what med is due, which I haven't seen in medisafe. Also, the PRN medications (as needed) in Round, like pain medications, have a timer so you can see how long it's been since you last took it.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a whole lot of stuff right away on the basis you might need it until you get a feel for what you really need. For at least the first week or two, make sure you're stocked up on your staple prescribed diet items, Water, and your meds. If you think you might need something else before returning to work or your regular daily activity, Amazon is a click away and usually 2 day delivery!

I used powder Protein mix throughout my pre-op stages. Post surgery (4 days ago for me) there was a surgery mentor who came by while I was in the hospital who recommended getting some pre-made shakes for the beginning post surgical phase. It tends to take a while to drink your serving because you can barely fit an ounce at a time in the beginning, and the powder mix separates when sitting for too long. The pre-made stay smooth and creamy. At first I used vanilla Premier shakes, but quickly got sick of the flavor, so now I have a few others to use. That was so far the most helpful advice I received!
Another thing that is helpful (to me anyway) is finding a medication reminder app to help keep your Vitamins in order and remember to take them. I am currently trying out 2 - One is called Round health, the other is Medisafe. Both have features I like and dislike, but I am finding that I go back to Round more often. It's more cumbersome to put in the meds, but once it's done, you can set the reminders to tell you what med is due, which I haven't seen in medisafe. Also, the PRN medications (as needed) in Round, like pain medications, have a timer so you can see how long it's been since you last took it.
Honestly, I wouldn't buy a whole lot of stuff right away on the basis you might need it until you get a feel for what you really need. For at least the first week or two, make sure you're stocked up on your staple prescribed diet items, Water, and your meds. If you think you might need something else before returning to work or your regular daily activity, Amazon is a click away and usually 2 day delivery!

I'm using an app called Baritastic. You can put in reminders to take meds, vitamins, food, liquid, exercise, etc. Then you can log them all. There's also a journal. I really like it!

Sent from my SM-N915V using BariatricPal mobile app