Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A record of my experience... from start to finish... rants and all!

Great post. I will likely be sleeved in October.

BTW - most soccer moms are as insecure as you are, just try talking more, offer more than 'how are you doing?' I was/am shy in person the first few times I meet anyone for the same fears insecurity brings. But the more often you keep making conversation each time you might be surprised at what transpires. Offer the coach to volunteer in some way.

2 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Great post. I will likely be sleeved in October.

BTW - most soccer moms are as insecure as you are, just try talking more, offer more than 'how are you doing?' I was/am shy in person the first few times I meet anyone for the same fears insecurity brings. But the more often you keep making conversation each time you might be surprised at what transpires. Offer the coach to volunteer in some way.

Thank you for your comment. I do hope that with a certain new found confidence post-surgery I will be able to initiate more.. and possibly have thicker skin as well. Right, I should put that on my "looking forward to" list.. to have thicker skin and not doubt myself as often! :)

That was an amazing post. Truth and funny at the same time. 😊 Blessings to you on your journey hon!!!!

Sooo... I have been doing a lot of thinking lately... how do I know my surgeon is a good choice.. how, if at all, do I tell anybody, what do I look forward to.... but mostly I've been examining my relationship with food.

Once I had made the decision to get this surgery done I felt an interesting sense of calm come over me in terms of food. Food has always been an issue for me; either I was eating too much or too little, or I was counting or I was worrying about it or this or that... either way it was always there, a constant in the back of my head. However, once I made the decision, food became just a tool.. just fuel, for the first time I'm not worried about whether I will gain or lose.

I mean, I gained... with a vengeance too, I eat a lot but;

1. it felt like it was just the regaining of the latest weight loss/maintenance I had accomplished over the last 2 years. I'm at my highest ever now.

2. I also gained some of it on purpose because ankle weights just weren't cutting it during weigh ins, you know?

I've also been thinking a lot about who to tell; when to tell and even though I'm not sure I think I'll tell my older son shortly before the surgery.. I'm still working on how and what to tell him... my husband already knows (wouldn't want to do it without him)... and as for everybody else; I'll tell them if I feel like they're seriously asking.. not to judge or blame but because they are genuinely interested. I mean I think it would be unfair to claim I'm doing this without external help when so many people (including myself) have tried doing just that for years and failed.

So, one other thing I've been thinking about is all the things I look forward to; there's of course the being healthier, being a good role model for my children; having my husband have a nice piece of arm candy but then there's also the promise of shopping... not wearing black ALL THE F*** TIME... not wrestling with my bra in the mornings... not having all these aches and pains related to being obese.. not feeling like I have to work twice as hard as others, not having to stretch before visiting the loo, not having to wear baggy clothes... though in all honesty I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable in form fitting clothes, I'm just too used to the baggy type... og and being able to wear overalls... I'd like that.

Oh, and I am tentatively scheduled for September 19 so yay!!

Edited by njgal

Damn I'm ready for this. Can we please just do this? I'm feeling very frustrated that my surgery date is still 3 months away. Once I had made my decision I was ready to go... then I saw the wisdom of waiting for a certain amount of time because some aspects of this journey take time to internalize. It's good that you can't just make up your mind and go do it the next day (if you go the insurance option, I mean) but I mean, 6 months? Come on!!! I'm getting restless here. I have to face a plane trip and family get-together (and yeah, those are always stress free!!) and beach season before I get anywhere near my surgery date. Meanwhile I read every new post, have subscribed and binge watched new vsg channels on youtube... and I know that tomorrow I will have calmed down and I will carry on doing the things I do, taking every step in its stride... but damn! Today is just frustrating.

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

It drove me crazy also with all the Dr appointments. But trust me it prepares you for this life changing journey. It's hard as hell and takes a lot to make sure your getting the most out of what your eating. I think it was close to a year before I could eat anything besides Protein. This hot dog size pouch (as it's called) fills up fast so get ready to say goodbye to carbs. My 2 year old granddaughter eats more than I do. It's a year an a half since my surgery and I've lost 95# and that feels amazing to say. I'm smaller than I use to be and the fat that never would leave on my thighs has melted away. I finally don't depend on muscle milk and Protein Bars but it really help to ease my mind that I got 60 grams of protein in. My biggest issue is drinking before eating and after. Getting enough Water. It felt like an all day event. Take this time to plan out nutrition and ask as many questions as you like. I love this group because we all have a story to tell and we teach each other as we go through this journey. Before you know it your day will be here. Good luck and we'll be waiting to hear how your doing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal mobile app

It drove me crazy also with all the Dr appointments. But trust me it prepares you for this life changing journey. It's hard as hell and takes a lot to make sure your getting the most out of what your eating. I think it was close to a year before I could eat anything besides Protein. This hot dog size pouch (as it's called) fills up fast so get ready to say goodbye to carbs. My 2 year old granddaughter eats more than I do. It's a year an a half since my surgery and I've lost 95# and that feels amazing to say. I'm smaller than I use to be and the fat that never would leave on my thighs has melted away. I finally don't depend on muscle milk and Protein Bars but it really help to ease my mind that I got 60 grams of protein in. My biggest issue is drinking before eating and after. Getting enough Water. It felt like an all day event. Take this time to plan out nutrition and ask as many questions as you like. I love this group because we all have a story to tell and we teach each other as we go through this journey. Before you know it your day will be here. Good luck and we'll be waiting to hear how your doing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal mobile app

Ah! You're the best for taking the time to respond, thank you. See, today is already better and I know I can use this time to work on a lot of things... I'm in therapy to work on my food addiction... I'm trying to prioritize protein over other things and I'm definitely trying to work on the whole not drinking with food challenge.

Having this tool within reach but not being able to just grab it just yet gets to me every now and then but I get it.... and I will patiently wait... and rant every now and then ;))

2 wks post-op gastric sleeve & hiatal hernia repair (surgery: 05/24/17). TY for all your posts. How do you get the weightloss ticker, I want that! Lost almost 18 lbs. but who's counting! No need for any diabetic insulin & meds, high cholesterol or high blood pressure Rx's since surgery: Yay! Introduced the bariatric chewable Multi Vitamins & calcium citrate w/D, yesterday. Have been dealing w introducing soft foods, starting w a scrambled egg & next up choc pudding. Problem: have had diarrhea off/on since just after the first week...not happy about it. Will call my Dr's nurse on Mon to see what I should do, but just took an OTC anti-diarrheal tiny pill to help. Had my gallbladder removed in 10/2012 & had this issue all the way up to surgery. Maybe I need a bariatric probiotic. Will check into that after calling the nurse. I have a Giant Schnauzer 15 yo/95 lbs) & a Cane Corso Italian Mastiff puppy (1yo/130 lbs), so been walking both multiple times daily since surgery. Will begin treadmill & recumbent bike tomorrow & I also teach H20 aerobics M-F, which begins tomorrow as well. My Drs' offices are gung ho on me giving them flyers to get patients moving: I only charge $1 per class & specialize w people who have disabilities/weight issues. If you live in Las Vegas, NV, come forth & exercise! TY.

Sounds like fun!
As for the ticker, I don't know? I just entered my info in the signature line :)

I love this thread! Thank you for sharing so candidly. It's a great idea to document the process, I know I stalked a million forums before my consult to get a clear picture of what's to come.

I can relate to so much of your post. Im anxious to get it done and begin my new life already. I have my nutritionist/upper gi test/labs scheduled for the end of the month then my psych on July 10. After all of the results come in, it's just waiting on insurance approval, which is 2 weeks or less in my state I believe. I'm guessing I'll know my date before the end of August. I am hoping to be sleeved ASAP but I'm shooting for a date before November at least. I'd love to be sleevie buddies to stay motivated. [emoji3] I'll definitely be following your updates here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are too kind to say this, thank you! Ugh, I know I'm still and always looking for new stories to read, be sure to share good ones you come across!

I would love to be buddies. If all goes according to plan I'll get sleeved 9/19 -I'm penciled in- so I can let you know how it goes but there are a whole bunch of stories you can read that will guide you well here.

Where do you hail from? I'm from NJ.

I wanted to share two NSVs; both happened today. First one is about smoking. I used to smoke (keywords used to).. up until about 2 months ago. I knew I had to give up smoking and quitting hasn't been my problem in the past. But instead of setting a date one day after my dental cleaning was nicely done I decided I'd have just about enough of this. Wasn't bad.. wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.. it just happened. Wouldn't have happened if I had set a date and tried to prepare for it... it just did.. anyway, my NSV was that today I took a drag from hubby's smoke and felt nauseous. Now, that might not sound like much but you know how the saying goes.. you don't quit smoking, smoking quits you! I think it just might have left me for the last time.

My second NSV was about Water. As one of my first steps toward preparing myself I decided to get my water intake regulated. I've always been big on water, grew up drinking delicious tap water and have never had a problem with it like some people do. However... once I started actually measuring how much I drink I realized that 64 ounces was a loooooong ways off from what I was drinking. Listen up people! You may not be drinking as much water as you think you are. I was very much surprised by this especially since I thought I had 64 oz down pat! But today I actually did have it down, all 64 oz of it. God knows I haven't had to pee this often since I was pregnant :rolleyes:

You are too kind to say this, thank you! Ugh, I know I'm still and always looking for new stories to read, be sure to share good ones you come across!
I would love to be buddies. If all goes according to plan I'll get sleeved 9/19 -I'm penciled in- so I can let you know how it goes but there are a whole bunch of stories you can read that will guide you well here.
Where do you hail from? I'm from NJ.

Im checking in again...

I'm currently in Illinois but I've been all over the place from Michigan to Texas.

I just had my upper GI. Turns out I have a hiatal hernia. That's one test down anyway, I'm on my way to the lab for bloodwork then I have an appt. With the NUT this afternoon. Have you had any tests done yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app