Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your daily food intake look like?

After surgery, and recovery, and liquid diets are complete, and you are feeling good.

What do your diets look like? what types of meals are you eating? are you eating carbs?

I am currently eating a low carb diet (about 40-50g per day) which come from veg, little fruit and low carb tortillas.

I am prepared for what my liquid diets will look like post surgery.... but what about the rest of my life?

I am 8.5 months out and half a pound away from goal. My eating is not perfect, but I think I do ok. My nutritionist and doctor think so too. I could do better but I'm still grappling with how much to get in and am also facing maintenance soon.

For reference:

Consult weight (May 2016)- 236
Day of Surgery 8/30/16 - 232
As of today - 150

I eat alot of meat and cheeses. My husband has been great at being creative with the meats and marinades/spices. I have very little room for vegetables, but when I do, I eat brussel sprouts (with bacon), carrots, cauliflower (I love it mashed) and squash. I eat low carb, but I DO eat carbs because I don't do well going zero carb. My main focuces are my Protein goal (60g minimum) and not completely burning up (or going way over) everything I eat via exercise because that's when I've had the longest stalls. I just moved into the 700-1000 calorie per day range, but still have days where I struggle to get 600 calories in. I still have really good restiction, so a 1000 calorie day is rare for me. I have spoken with my doctor and they would like me to continue the upward trend in calories since I am very active, but it's hard.

On rare occasion, I have to do a Protein Shake to get to my goals. We also like the POW red lentil protein Pasta. That's a very, very rare treat as it takes up alot of room. Very good paired with ground turkey spaghetti sauce.

I also on rare occasion do the Atkins frozen meals, but can only make it through half of a tray at most. I am not a fan of fruit, so it's just not something I eat.

Some typical items for that are recurring in my diet broken out by meal:

Breakfast - eggs (hard boiled, scrambled with cheese, or sunny side up), bacon, turkey sausage, avocado

lunch - usually leftovers from previous dinner, steak, ground turkey (I do a turkey taco bowl with cheese), sliced turkey deli meat

Dinner - lamb, lobster, steak (all cuts), ground turkey (great for taco bowl, spaghetti sauce), crab legs, ground buffalo, tuna, salmon, ground beef

Snacks - Panino Proscuitto (all time favorite, especially the stick by Fiorucci), bacon, almonds, pistachio, cheese sticks, cheese squares, occasional Protein Bar

Edited by vamping

At 7.5 months post-op, I eat 7-8 times per day, approximately 2 hours apart. I drink 32 oz of Water between Meals 1 and 2 and between Meals 2 and 3, 16 oz of water between Meal 3 and Meal 4, 16 oz of Powerade Zero between Meal 5 and 6, and 16 oz of water after Meal 7. The meals are as follows (I eat the same thing every day):

Meal #1: 1 scrambled egg with 2 oz of chicken

Meal #2: 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

Meal #3: 3 oz chicken breast, 1 string cheese, and 10 ParmCrisps

Meal #4: 3 oz salmon with 1 oz green Beans

Meal #5: 3 oz chicken breast with 1 oz green beans

Meal #6: 2 oz hamburger steak (90% lean) with 1 oz green beans

Meal #7: 3 oz chicken breast, 1 string cheese, and 10 ParmCrisps

Meal #8: 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

This gets me to around 1300 calories per day, 20 grams of carbs, and 130-140 grams of Protein. I plan to eat this way long term. I am about 20 pounds from goal, and once I get to maintenance, I might up the calories some and let the carbs go to 30 or so, but that's the only real difference.

Thank you both for the comments, they are very helpful.

At 7.5 months post-op, I eat 7-8 times per day, approximately 2 hours apart. I drink 32 oz of Water between Meals 1 and 2 and between Meals 2 and 3, 16 oz of water between Meal 3 and Meal 4, 16 oz of Powerade Zero between Meal 5 and 6, and 16 oz of water after Meal 7. The meals are as follows (I eat the same thing every day):
Meal #1: 1 scrambled egg with 2 oz of chicken
Meal #2: 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves
Meal #3: 3 oz chicken breast, 1 string cheese, and 10 ParmCrisps
Meal #4: 3 oz salmon with 1 oz green beans
Meal #5: 3 oz chicken breast with 1 oz green beans
Meal #6: 2 oz hamburger steak (90% lean) with 1 oz green beans
Meal #7: 3 oz chicken breast, 1 string cheese, and 10 ParmCrisps
Meal #8: 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves
This gets me to around 1300 calories per day, 20 grams of carbs, and 130-140 grams of Protein. I plan to eat this way long term. I am about 20 pounds from goal, and once I get to maintenance, I might up the calories some and let the carbs go to 30 or so, but that's the only real difference.

THANK YOU. I eat about 8x a day. My dr looked at me like I was nuts. About 1100cal 30g of carbs 120-130g protein. At 800 cal felt hungry all the time and was stalled.

I am 2 years out and consume in the ballpark of 1900 to 2100 calories per day, although I don't really count, track or measure anything. I consume about 120 grams of Protein per day.

I do not count carbs or fat...I eat as much of these as I please. Since I sucked at adhering to diets in the past, I've decided I will not engage in the dieting mentality again.

Breakfast: 3 cups of coffee with half & half Creamer and artificial sweetener

Late morning: 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a baked apple

Lunch: Roasted chicken drumstick, 1/2 cup side salad, 1/2 cup Spanish rice

Mid afternoon: Roasted chicken thigh, two cheese quesadillas, 1/2 cup salad

Late afternoon: Quest chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar

Dinner: Flatbread pizza with turkey pepperoni and jalapenos

Bedtime: Roast beef & cheddar sandwich on 45-calorie multi-grain bread

14 hours ago, Introversion said:

I am 2 years out and consume in the ballpark of 1900 to 2100 calories per day, although I don't really count, track or measure anything. I consume about 120 grams of Protein per day.

I do not count carbs or fat...I eat as much of these as I please. Since I sucked at adhering to diets in the past, I've decided I will not engage in the dieting mentality again.

Breakfast: 3 cups of coffee with half & half creamer and artificial sweetener

Late morning: 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a baked apple

Lunch: Roasted chicken drumstick, 1/2 cup side salad, 1/2 cup Spanish rice

Mid afternoon: Roasted chicken thigh, two cheese quesadillas, 1/2 cup salad

Late afternoon: Quest chocolate chip cookie dough Protein bar

Dinner: Flatbread pizza with turkey pepperoni and jalapenos

Bedtime: Roast beef & cheddar sandwich on 45-calorie multi-grain bread

Thank you for your answer,

I am wondering how long you have been in maintenance for?

I am almost a year out and I don't watch carbs but I focus mostly on Protein. I say my doctor for my one year appointment yesterday and the nutritionist said I needed to add more fruits and veggies and I can back up on the protein. So here is a sample of what I eat:

Breakfast: 1 egg scrambled with 1/2 ounce white american cheese. 1 oz turkey Canadian bacon. 1 cup cold brew coffee with 2 teaspoons creamer.

Snack: Greek yogurt or fruit

Lunch: Usually left overs from dinner (so chicken, steak, pork, burger) or 2 ounces of turkey lunch meat and 1/2 ounce white american cheese

Snack: popcorn, pringles bakes sticks, or Muuna cottage cheese.

Dinner: I mostly make weight watcher recipes. So I have 3-5 ounces of protein with 1-2 ounces of veggies.

Snack: small square of dark chocolate, popsicle, fruit

7 hours ago, scochrane86 said:

I am wondering how long you have been in maintenance for?

I have been in maintenance since September 2016, so it's been about 8 months at this point. I only weigh myself once a month and my weight has remained stable from month to month.

I am 8 months post op and more or less at goal.

I eat a Protein bar or shake every day for breakfast. lunch is chicken or turkey, a little no fat cheese, and a small tortilla. Sometimes I make it a salad instead of the tortilla. dinner is typically the same, but I do indulge now and then. Today I had part of a turkey club and a few fries.

I have a protein bar in the afternoon, and usually a Protein Shake after my dinner around 8:30. Occasionally I'll have some berries or nuts as a snack.

When I really want something different, I'll have a part of a waffle or a piece of pizza, but rarely.

I average about 1400-1500 calories a day, 140-160 grams protein. That's more protein than most sleevers, but I lift weights four times a week.

Occasionally I get a craving and occasionally I indulge it, but I'm satisfied most days. It comes and goes a little - some days I'm hungry and eat could eat more, others I get full quickly. I've found the key thing is to plan ahead and measure. Measuring keeps me from overeating since
I'm always eating a predetermined portion.

I'm three years out from surgery.

Today I ate:

Breakfast:

Avocado turkey sandwich

Snack:

Light frappacinno

Beef Jerky

Lunch:

Veggie sandwich

salad with dressing and blue cheese

Glass of wine

Snack:

Few pieces of cheese and crackers

Dinner:

bread roll

Mashed potatoes

Little bit of pulled pork

Salad with ranch and sunflower seeds

Snack:

chocolate cake

A regular coke

Late night snack:

Microwave pizza

Hot pocket

Sour Licorice

Some m and ms candy

This is pretty typical for me on days I work during which I'm on my feet about 12 hours non stop almost running the whole time. On a normal day I would eat this minus the late night snack... I wouldn't be quite that hungry but maybe... it just depends.

I eat to my hunger cues now and don't count calories or weigh myself. I simply eat if and when I am hungry and whatever appeals to me. I 100% reject dieting ever again and I will never try and restrict my intake to lose weight again.

I'm skinny as a rail and have been that way for over 2 years. I don't frankly care much anymore though. Life is better when you are free to eat and self worth isn't based on weight or some stupid number on a scale. I enjoy my life.

Here I am today enjoying all that yummy food. IMG_6952.JPG

2 + years out, been under goal weight for over a year.

Eat about 1400 to 1600 calories a day

at least 120 g of carbs a day

60-70 g Protein

This is per my NUT. I am a long distance runner and need the carbs. All my labs and levels are perfect and have been for over a year. I work out 6 days a week.

I am 4.5 months in and eat 3-4 times a day, avg 1100 calories and 80-100g Protein. I love fruits and vegetables, so my food focuses on protein and a combination of veggies and/or fruit. I eat whole grains--muesli, cottage cheese and berries for breakfast, I use mini shredded wheat for crackers. Many meals include no grains. Lots of chicken (boneless, skinless thighs are the favorite) and fish and ground turkey. I love food, have a good appetite, and the Portion Control of my sleeve has been perfect. I am at a healthy normal BMI, still losing weight, not yet at maintenance. Loving my sleeve.