Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have lap band out/sleeve in one surgery as outpatient?

I'm a little nervous that I'm finding most do this double procedure with a hospital stay. My doctor is planning on doing it as outpatient. Anyone had it done this way? Should I have a family member help me for a few days? In other words, how long before I can get to the bathroom by myself...lol.

Edited by Allie1958

Hi Allie - I can say that for just the gastric sleeve procedure, I was in the hospital for three days.. I have seen varying stays for the procedure - but was very glad I was in the hospital having someone watch over me for that duration

My surgeon liked to make sure I could keep fluids down and I did the barium test.

I'm sorry I can't offer any insight to the revision aspect of your question, but I had my sleeve done on an outpatient basis! I walked into the hospital at 7:30 AM and walked out at 6:00 PM (with some help). I was able to go to the restroom by myself within hours of waking up from surgery. From my experience, a hospital stay wouldn't be out of the question. You'll be uncomfortable and possibly having a hard time getting/keeping liquids down. Having people to help is very important. My boyfriend was with me almost at all times for the next 4 days or so, making sure I get in liquids, helping me get around, and making sure I walked and used the incentive spirometer every hour for maybe 12-14 hours each day. I can assure you; it's very nice, possibly necessary, to have people around who care.

I had both at the same time 3 months ago, and while my Dr. required an overnight stay, I really think I could have done it as outpatient. I know I most definitely would have preferred doing it as outpatient. Hospital stays suuuuuck.

I agree ... I'll take my bed over a hospital bed any day! Thanks to everyone for your comments. This helps me so much in knowing what to expect and how to prepare. I'm definitely going to require more help than I originally planned for.

Mine was outpatient. Since I am 1 1/2 hour away from the hospital, I stayed in a hotel near the hospital and went to the doc office 1st thing the next morning to be checked before going home.

I'm planning on band to DS revision. Doc says no overnight stay if at all possible because he believes we heal faster and have less risk of infection while at home.

I just had my gastric band removed and then had the gastric sleeve. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. The surgery took long than expected as the bank was tied to my diaphragm! I am in pain but decreasing every day.

I had my band out and sleeve done 2 weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 4 days. My band had created such a nasty scar that the 2 hour procedure we planned for ended up over 5 hours. I was miserable and sick. I spent 4 days violently vomiting bile, I was glad I was in the hospital because I needed the IV. I wasn't able to eat or drink anything until that 4th day. Strangely though, once the vomiting got under control I came home and havent thrown up again. I really think it was so many hours under anesthesia that made me so ill and not the surgery itself. My recovery has been pretty rough, but considering how bad the surgery ended up being I am doing really well. My band had been a nightmare for years and even though it's been hard I am so glad the band is gone.

I had my band out and sleeve done 2 weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 4 days. My band had created such a nasty scar that the 2 hour procedure we planned for ended up over 5 hours. I was miserable and sick. I spent 4 days violently vomiting bile, I was glad I was in the hospital because I needed the IV. I wasn't able to eat or drink anything until that 4th day. Strangely though, once the vomiting got under control I came home and havent thrown up again. I really think it was so many hours under anesthesia that made me so ill and not the surgery itself. My recovery has been pretty rough, but considering how bad the surgery ended up being I am doing really well. My band had been a nightmare for years and even though it's been hard I am so glad the band is gone.

Wow that sounds like an ordeal! I'm scared to find out how much scarring I have. I cannot wait for this band to gtfo. I have a hate/hate relationship with it.

Is your gallbladder intact? I wonder if bile is an issue if you don't have a gallbladder...

Actually I did have my gallbladder removed a few years ago, it was that surgery that started my lap band nightmare. Once they emptied my band for surgery it was never okay again. The bile may have been so bad from not having it, I'm not sure I do know it was so disgusting though. Even though I can still feel where the band was due to scar tissue, I feel like my life is already better. I really suffered and hated that band, I should have had it removed sooner.

Yes on 1 surgery, but I don't think anyone does a sleeve as outpatient. That seems super dangerous!

I stand corrected. There are apparently doctors that do sleeve as outpatient. CRAZY!

Yes, the band/sleeve surgery-in-one was not as big a deal as I thought it would be either. And it was outpatient -- home that night. All my expectations were turned upside down. It was so easy that when I went in for IV 3 days later I asked to confirm that they put the sleeve in. No nausea, able to drink fine. So that was unexpected. But I expected to have more weight loss and haven't so far. That was also unexpected. One month later and I'm the exact same weight as the day of surgery. Although I'm 5'7" and 169 so I guess I'll have to put some effort into it. But still so happy I did it. Without the lap band I would have been up 10 lbs by now.

Actually I did have my gallbladder removed a few years ago, it was that surgery that started my lap band nightmare. Once they emptied my band for surgery it was never okay again. The bile may have been so bad from not having it, I'm not sure I do know it was so disgusting though. Even though I can still feel where the band was due to scar tissue, I feel like my life is already better. I really suffered and hated that band, I should have had it removed sooner.

This is exactly what happened to my band. Was great until my gallbladder decided it was going to be a jerk. Once gallbladder was removed I could only gain weight, not lose.

I hope it keeps getting better for you. [emoji173]️