Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removal and Sleeve in one surgery ... what should I expect?

Thanks so much, so happy to hear things went well for you. I actually had the surgery on June 2nd. All went very well and I was out the door within an hour after waking up. It went so well in fact that when I went in 3 days later for the mandatory saline IV i asked to confirm that the doc both took out the band and put in the sleeve. I fretted over this surgery for weeks and shouldn't have. I have not had any pain in my throat and no trouble swallowing. The only disappointment is that I have not lost any weight since the day of surgery. I lost most of my weight with the band and only had 15 lbs to lose so this was more of a preventative measure. However, I thought the final 15 would come off easier but I guess not! I'm still so glad i got it because I know I would be up 10 lbs by now with just the band coming out. My best to you!

So do they leave that bigger part of the stomach in your body? Or remove it?

They remove it!

I did have the sore throat and it is still sore from July 10. Actually, I think that has been the worst and a little cough. I am down about 8 lbs. and am 15 lbs from goal. I do hope I begin to desire some food. I have had a few nibbles and I mean nibbles. Once I nibble like a bite of an egg or two. I have had enough. YIKES.... Possibly, I'll eat more as time goes on. I am getting in my Protein Shakes. I am glad I had the lapland removed and I do not think and am trying to block out the fact that I had all that stomach removed. (yikes)

I had my lap Band removed 3 days b4 u did...I have not tried anything else but high Protein fluids (shakes, clear)... afraid to go for anything other than maybe a tsp of pudding...my thoat hurtled for almost 10 days...I also developed a large "hematoma" over area where lap Band "port" (not sure about the correct name is) was located...Doctor told me he had a "hard time" removing it...:(... It's "egg" size and hard ....it has been getting smaller.......I read my surgery report...eeeeck!!!... it describes how much of my stomach was removed...u right...I try not to think about it......So great u so close to ur weight goal!....ur throat pain will go away n im sure u will do great.....best of luck!

Edited by Alexandra Hernandez

I have a hard area where my port was. It doesn't hurt but sticks out a little. I hope it will go away. I go back to the surgeon on the 26th. Still on Protein Drinks etc; Also, am not eating, but feel a lot different then I did with the band. I feel like I could eat. YIKES.....I did have a couple bites of a soft egg, and several bits of refried Beans. I was satisfied soon, but could have eatten more. My dr would have had me on pureed food but he has been out of town. I keep reading about people have tests to see if they have a leak. My Dr didn't do any special test to check that out. I hope I don't have one, or get one. That is the one complication that pretty much ruins everything.

I think they test for a leak right after they staple the stomach?... i read in my surgical report how after staples where placed Normal Saline was infused into my stomach and then removed?... maybe to see if there where any leaks?...I also read that leaks are not a common occurrence....don't worry...u tolerating fluids and Beans well.....it sounds like it's all good...;)

Wow...I love reading the updates. We are all pretty much in the same boat. I see my surgeon on the 26th. I am going to ask him about the leak test, the hard part where my port was, also, he said he did not remove my scar tissue. Others on this forum had their scar tissue removed ???? my surgeon is extremely well known and has an excellent reputation so I'm sure all is well. Oh, I have not had any heartburn or reflux. He does have me on a pill that I was on before, but he said it was more precautionary for now, because he didn't want to take a chance on my stomach getting acid etc; right after surgery. He also had mentioned that my esophagus was a little dilated from the band issue. I was kind of out of it and my husband is the one that told me all this so now I will get more clarity at my appointment.

Soft foods here I come!!!! (2 more days)