Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I ate a whole Pizza. How??

I'm still amazing that people treat the post-op diet like any other diet. It is a Dr prescribed diet to limit complications.

Telling someone that is risking their life and healthy to seek therapy isn't a bad idea. They are already obviously desperate and reaching out for help if they are posting on the internet.

Just because someone suggests you seek therapy, doesn't mean you have to, but a lot of people are not even aware OA exists and it can help a lot of people. Hell just reading the OA book can be helpful.

People still treat WLS post-op like it is just any other diet and it isn't. If someone had heart surgery you wouldn't tell them to ignore Dr orders.

Today was a hard day for me. I don't have a reason, it just was. I caved today and had a few small slices of thin crust pizza. I felt like crap afterwards. Now I know why won't be eating regular food like that, lol. The episode is over, lesson learned. I am so grateful to be a part of this group. I know I keep saying that, but it is so helpful to log in and see that others have had the same issues and are learning how to deal with them too. just reading about the experiences helps me to understand more about those issues myself. You all are worth your weight in gold :D:452_medal:

I decided to take a few days away from here. It's nice to see that nothing ever changes!

All you can do is pick yourself up, move on and know better next time. If pizza is a trigger for you, don't eat it. I will admit, I still have pizza on occasion. I chose to eat super thin crust woodfire oven pizza and I can't eat more than a slice and a half without the crust on the end. I'm not sure how you got a whole pizza down, unless it was over the course of hours but don't put yourself into the place to be in that situation again.

Hello, everyone. I'm 6 weeks out from my surgery. Here are some things that I know, am learning or have learned:

• I knew going in that the sleeve would be a tool and not fix my head hunger nor my bad food habits. I have to work on those things myself!
  • I'm not going to B*ll Sh*T myself. I either do this or I make excuses not to. The sleeve will offer restriction and help me; however, again, I have to work with it, not against it.
  • Support is huge, either family, friends, this forum, therapy or support groups. But, I am stubborn. If I AM NOT in it, no support will "make" me successful.
  • It's going to be a long-haul and I have to remind myself (everyday) why I did this. It's because I want to lose the weight so I can be happy and healthy and be around for a while. I may fall off the wagon and if I do, I have to choose to get back on!
  • 32 lbs down and I feel better already... but I know that could change easily if I don't stay the course!

21 hours ago, blizair09 said:

I decided to take a few days away from here. It's nice to see that nothing ever changes!

Two and half weeks for me and it's just like groundhog day 😎

Meal planning and food prep will probably help you resist in the future. I am 6 months out and meal prep weekly so i always have things on hand. I am a true food addict and I need to fight my addiction every hour of every day. Are you eating Keto? Look up the Holy Grail Fathead Pizza Crust recipe on Ditchthecarbs.com http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/ . I make it ahead and after it comes out of the oven I divide into mini servings (my servings are smaller than the recipe says) and I throw the servings into a ziplock. i have it on hand whenever I crave pizza, Bagels, etc. It is seriously better than regular pizza. It will also not make you crave carbs and is filling in a healthy way. As a food addict, having foods readily available to me that will prevent a binge on something crappy is key and it is the only thing that will make me successful with this tool. I hope this helps.

I would suggest that you meal prep right away and try to choose foods with your macro goals. Not sure what your macro goals are, but 70% fat, 25% Protein and 5% carbs has worked for me and keeps me satiated so I don't want to binge eat. Keto has saved my life. Myfitnesspal will show you your macros if you record all your food. Stay strong!!!!

Meal plan.. on it..
I have been deciding what to make on a day to day basis so far and then just eating the same meal over the day in portains. Besides yesterday's episode it was Soups and scrambled eggs with Optifast shakes.
Not exactly exciting so a head in the right direction for meal planning would be REALLY appreciated.

Kaiser Richmond has an outstanding success rate and they say NO SHAKES! No soft calories or drinkable calories. 1/4 cup of Protein, (there are tons of choices there,) and 1/4 cup of non fibrous veggies or fruit, ( no celery, etc,) and only eat 3 meals per day with no grazing. Eat the protein first, chew 30 times per bite, and eat mindfully. You are worth the effort. A support group is a must!

On 5/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, Judymo said:

Today was a hard day for me. I don't have a reason, it just was. I caved today and had a few small slices of thin crust pizza. I felt like crap afterwards. Now I know why won't be eating regular food like that, lol. The episode is over, lesson learned. I am so grateful to be a part of this group. I know I keep saying that, but it is so helpful to log in and see that others have had the same issues and are learning how to deal with them too. just reading about the experiences helps me to understand more about those issues myself. You all are worth your weight in gold :D:452_medal:

Ok, first of all I just want to say that I'm not judging. I'm honestly curious. I had my surgery 4/24 and know how restriction feels like when I eat 3.1 ounces of chicken. It hurts. Bad. I can eat 2.9 ounces, sometimes 3, but an ounce over and I'm in pain. My question is, does it take you all day to eat three slices? An hour? Three hours? I'm genuinely curious.

We can't always hear good things....if you eat a whole pizza and tell people, they are gonna be shocked, it doesn't mean they are judging...they are full of wonder....how it fit in your new stomach, why didn't you change your mind from ordering it to eating it ( lots of time to think) . You knew to hide the box....saying "it's okay or You got this" is BS , obviously she doesn't got this. It just makes other people think it's okay to do it too! no matter how much coucelling you do or therapy, it still comes down to what you want and you choices.

I'm glad I read this with all the comments.. It definitely (I hope) will help me with my mindset. I didn't know that eating carbs would be so easy to do.. I thought with the sleeve it would provide the restriction I need not to over eat.. Now I know...I hope you can put this behind you and move on to better choices now that you know..

2 hours ago, camony said:

I'm glad I read this with all the comments.. It definitely (I hope) will help me with my mindset. I didn't know that eating carbs would be so easy to do.. I thought with the sleeve it would provide the restriction I need not to over eat.. Now I know...I hope you can put this behind you and move on to better choices now that you know..

The restriction is best utilized with slow digesting food.. like foods rife with Protein and protein+dietary Fiber.

The workaround regarding carbs and restriction not only comes from how quickly carb laden food tends to pass through the digestive tract (it doesn't take much effort for the body to digest/break down), but how quickly it enters the bloodstream (especially bad for diabetics), how quickly it hits the liver, and moreover, how it bypasses the fundus hormone ghrelin. The reason for the latter is because carb laden food often affects the brains reward pathway, causing secretions of hormones that cause physiological and psychological reliance. So not only is it not keeping a person satiated (which causes a person to eat more), it's slowly causing addiction that's tough to overcome.

I still think certain carbs like sugar should be classified as a psychoactive drug.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

@Finding_Stacy In response to your question.....

In my earlier reply, I did talk about eating a few small slices of pizza. I was eating from a party cut Domino's medium sized pizza. I had a tiny corner piece and small square next to that. So not very much at all. There is no way I could fit in a regular sized slice! I get full fairly quickly, and I knew it when I was full due to the warning signs from my body. I have found other alternatives now than regular pizza to get my pizza craving's in check. :D

On 18.5.2017 at 4:50 PM, camony said:

I'm glad I read this with all the comments.. It definitely (I hope) will help me with my mindset. I didn't know that eating carbs would be so easy to do..

Depends.

There are carbs that provide "volume" in the pouch, e. g. non-watery fruit like bananas, bread, Pasta, pizza etc. - you should feel the restriction with these.

When it comes to "low-volume" or more or less liquid carbs, e. g. chocolate, ice cream, Cookies etc. - you can eat quite a lot of calories and you won't feel that full.