Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know the difference between skin and fat ? I have disgusting skin on my stomach and i got an consultation from a Surgeon in Miami (via pics) and he told me that there is nothing i can do to lose the fat and the more weight i lose the more skin i will have so there is no point in waiting .. that doesnt sound accurate to me lol .. can anyone shine some light on this for me ?

Skin is the stuff on the outside, fat is one of the things on the inside. I'd consider getting a second opinion. Good luck! - Dale

Confused by your post:

He said there's no point to wait for what type of procedure?

If you have hanging skin on your stomach he's right, that's not going to go away. If he thinks you've lost enough fat in the stomach area to give you a good result (as in you have a good amount of skin to remove with the progress you've already made) with a Tummy Tuck then he's probably right. Just because you aren't at goal weight doesn't mean you aren't ready for procedures depending on the circumstances.

Are you near goal weight?

I always heard to wait until your goal weight has maintained for 6 months

The answer to this is yes for the most part he is right. If you have hanging skin and it has fat in it, losing more weight isn't going to fix the skin. It is still going to hang and just be empty. Losing more weight won't fix the skin.

However, if you still want to lose weight, it is better to wait until you have lost to the weight you want and then have surgery. Only because if you have surgery before and then lose more you will have more loose skin and want a revision.

Unless the skin is causing you physical pain, it is better to wait until your weight has bottomed out and you have been at the same weight for a while.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!