Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone experienced a hematoma by the port site?

I was banded on 9-28-07 and almost immediately noticed that just above and to the right of my port incision was a bulging area. I assumed it was from the port, but as the days went on and 5 days out I developed a fever, I went back to the doctor. He said I had a hematoma where the muscle or lining of the stomach must have bled where they sewed the port in place. What it feels like is this: In the morning it's not too bad, it just feels like there's a small Water balloon under my skin. As the day goes on, it feels like the balloon fills up and pushes on everything inside. Has anyone experienced anything like this? The doctor says it will go away in a few weeks, but I would love to know what others have done to get some relief while it is healing. Just to know I'm not the only one would be great. Would love to hear.

Lisa

I guess I'm the only one. I'm going back to the doctor to have him look at this. I literally look pregnant on one half of my stomach. And the pressure gets almost unbearable sometimes. Would love to hear if anyone has had anything similar happen to them.

I don't have one from this operation, but as a nurse I can tell you that Hematoma are slowly absorb but the body tissue. It takes time but it does go away. Or you can have your doctor aspirate it( OUCH!)..Good Luck

Hi all,

I was banded 9-28 and when I get out of bed, I get a sharp pain where my port is. Does anyone else get that? Also, I had a huge hiatal hernia and it had to be repaired before they could do the lap band. I am on day 10, and I am still swollen and have abdominal pain.

Njb-ft

I went back to the doctor today and he did an ultrasound and there is a big hematoma under the skin. He tried to get some liquid out but said it is still a clot and has not liquified yet. He said it will just very slowly liquify and be absorbed by my body. I guess I just have to deal with looking pregnant on one side of my body until then. Other than that I'm doing pretty well and losing, so I can't complain.

Hi all,

I was banded 9-28 and when I get out of bed, I get a sharp pain where my port is. Does anyone else get that? Also, I had a huge hiatal hernia and it had to be repaired before they could do the lap band. I am on day 10, and I am still swollen and have abdominal pain.

Njb-ft

Are you taking Adult Liquid Tylenol? Rite Aid carries it and it helps alot with pain and swelling. What does your surgeon say. I was banded 5 days ago and my port only hurts when I sneeze. Also try rolling on your side off the bed that helps. You also have too take into consideration that you're going to be more tender due to the repair of the Hernia. Check to see if your port isn't oozing any fluids or hot to the touch or very inflammed. Then you need to call your surgeon. I hope that you will be fine. Good luck!:whoo:

I was banded on 9/18/07 at holzer ,i had no problems at first i get small pain after a long day at work .After I get going I'm ok ,when I get hot I get sharp pains to the left of belly button like a nail is being stuck in my belly only when i get hot .:o

lfrarck, what happened with your hematoma? I just had my port removed and replaced and immediately after surgery developed one. It looks like they sewed a large softball under my skin and it's very painful and hard. One week out and my doctor told me to come back in 4 weeks and we'll talk about what to do then if it's not gone down a lot. I'm feeling like it never will and my left side looks like I've grown a 3rd boob. The doc laughed and actually said that. I'm worried and can't even wear pants or sit for too long. Pain med helps for just a little while and I'm so frustrated.

Don't want to get you discouraged, Im now 7 months out from surgery and we're pretty sure it's gone now. My doctor tried twice to aspirate it, but said it was too thick. My first fill in November had to be done under flouroscopy because they couldn't find the port through the hemotoma. In January, I had to have a slight unfill, and the doctor said a little bit was still there, but he was able to find the port. So we figure it is gone now. I had quite a bulge for quite awhile, but it didn't seem to cause too many problems and it just took a long time to go away. Let us know how it goes for you. Good luck.

Lisa

Thanks for your reply. I am discouraged, but feel somewhat better knowing that it DID go away. 7 months is a long time!! I'm at my goal weight and was looking forward to wearing form fitting shirts this summer. Guess that's out of the picture. Thanks again. I'll try to let you know how I progress.

Edited by quicklady

Hi, I am 12 days post-op and have just been told that the pain in my left side at my port area is most likely a hematoma. I am freaking out. I am scheduled to go back to work in 6 days and still can't sit up for more than a few hours at a time due to the pain. Very discouraging...

There are some methods using natural material to treat hematoma. You should consider and pick up the suitable one for you

1. Use Margarine

Some children feel scared because of cold feeling from applying ice, in that case you should not force your kids. Instead, you can use margarine to apply onto the bruises. Margarine will help limit the risk of swollen wounds. It is a wonderful tip on how to treat a hematoma, right?

2. Use Cabbage

Use a cabbage leaf to squeeze and get the juice. Use a cotton ball to soak this juice then apply onto the skin bruises. In addition to its ability to reduce bruising, cabbage also contains anti-inflammatory compounds. Cabbage is one of the best tips on how to get rid of a hematoma.

3. Use Fresh Onion

Onion is not only the ingredients that flavor the dish, but also you can use smashed onion to place on the bruised skin. Notice that you should not apply it onto an open wound. With the help of onion, the treatment for how to heal a hematoma faster seems much easier.

Click this link to get more tips: https://authorityremedies.com/how-to-treat-a-hematoma/