Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you "force" yourself to eat things post op that you never liked before?

6 minutes ago, Brandeis said:

If you want a really MILD fish, I'd try some tilapia; it's the chicken of the sea, doesn't taste very fishy at all, and you can prepare it in many similar flavor profiles to the way you do chicken! If you want to be a bit more daring, I'd say go for some salmon; many people who don't like "fish" still like salmon, in my experience. It's very one of a kind!

Personally, I buy the sodium-free marinades at the grocery store (teriyaki is great!) and I just pour it on the fish, then pop it in the over. I don't have times etc on my mind, but if you just google you can find those easily enough!

Thank you! I had tilapia on my working mental list, along with a few others. My husband and kids like salmon, but the looks and smell turn me off, so I've never tried it. Maybe someday I will try it blackened.

Just my personal opinion here, I stay away from fish from countries that I don't trust for food production, and tilapia is from China and they feed them filth in polluted Water. I also only buy gulf shrimp.

For mild fish I like flounder, cod, perch. Baked or pan seared, there are many good recipes out there to try - asian spices w soy sauce, blackened, lemon pepper, etc. And try a little hot sauce too.

Tilapia is pretty much the worst fish you can buy.

If you don't like fish, the strong fish flavor and scent of Cod is going to turn you off.

Perch bakes perfectly and is a good place to start.

Everything tastes good with enough butter.

The first 3 months post-op I basically ate nothing but baked fish. So yeah if you can enjoy fish, fish is a really good way to go. Easy to digest, lots of Protein, low calories.

Just don't try to force yourself into things you don't like you will just feel miserable and deprived and that isn't how you want to feel.

I would not have believed how much I like pre baked teriyaki tofu. Not the block in Water kind, but drier... in packages, kind of shrink wrapped I found it in the heath food store.
Tastes do change I suppose

1 hour ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Tilapia is pretty much the worst fish you can buy.

If you don't like fish, the strong fish flavor and scent of Cod is going to turn you off.

Perch bakes perfectly and is a good place to start.

Everything tastes good with enough butter.

The first 3 months post-op I basically ate nothing but baked fish. So yeah if you can enjoy fish, fish is a really good way to go. Easy to digest, lots of Protein, low calories.

Just don't try to force yourself into things you don't like you will just feel miserable and deprived and that isn't how you want to feel.

I agree butter makes everything way better. I just don't know if I can tolerate it yet or if I'm even "allowed." Were you allowed butter at 10 days post op? My program only allows the fake spray butter. I also found out that my stage 2 doesn't do purees, just mushy foods.

I wish I lived closer to the gulf sometimes, when we rent a condo for vacation we always scout a fish market - I love grouper, trigger fish, pompano

<sigh> I have to be content to get what I can in the freezer case.

Pic of trigger fish, has a sweet taste

20170427_172013.jpg

@FatPharm

I just grabbed my book to check. Nothing is said about fats except they are essential part of a diet. Nothing about excluding butter and nothing about using sprays.

At 10 days post op I was still on full liquids. I didn't start soft foods until week 3.

My program doesn't do "stages", just weeks and months. I have a shopping list for each week, and suggested meals.

@Sosewsue61

Where are you getting trigger fish in Illinois?

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

19 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

I wish I lived closer to the gulf sometimes, when we rent a condo for vacation we always scout a fish market - I love grouper, trigger fish, pompano

<sigh> I have to be content to get what I can in the freezer case.

Pic of trigger fish, has a sweet taste

20170427_172013.jpg

Now that looks good. I don't want anything with a fishy taste or smell.

I started eating Brussel sprouts and spinach i hated them now i do enjoy them

juan phone

I've already tried some things I hated before, like pretty much all Asian food (my wife is Chinese) , and sure enough, from what I've tried already, I still hate it just as much post-op.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I don't force myself to eat things I don't like, but I do think it's worth trying new things! Especially since it doesn't sound like you've had them recently.

We live on the west coast of Canada and have a freezer full of wild salmon and halibut. Both are delicious. A tasty and simple way to cook salmon is to spread some mayo on top and season with dill. Bake until flakey (but still moist, dry fish is no good!). My kids inhale it!

4 minutes ago, 1poundatatime said:

I don't force myself to eat things I don't like, but I do think it's worth trying new things! Especially since it doesn't sound like you've had them recently.

We live on the west coast of Canada and have a freezer full of wild salmon and halibut. Both are delicious. A tasty and simple way to cook salmon is to spread some mayo on top and season with dill. Bake until flakey (but still moist, dry fish is no good!). My kids inhale it!

You're right. I haven't had fish since I was a kid, so I'm sure there are many kinds I haven't had, ever. And I LOVE dill!

@OutsideMatchInside Not in Illinois - I wish -

I was in SC on vacation. It was the first time I tried it, was sooo good. Then we drove to Smokies, I bought grouper in SC and shrimp too, froze it and took it to the condo there. (SC was a timeshare ' look see' for 3 days for Hilton Honors members and Smokies was a reg week vacation for us. Did a lot of hiking in the mtns, wish I was in shape enough to do long difficult ones, maybe next time)

I tried new foods, sure, but I definitely didn't FORCE myself to eat anything!

Sorry but you couldn't PAY me to start eating mushrooms now post surgery, even if you told me they had 100 grams of Protein a serving :P

But sure, try new things and re-try things you didn't necessary like before. Why not?

And be sure to try them prepared different ways. I grew up with nasty boiled slimy brussel sprouts... but hey, you roast those mothers in the oven and they taste heavenly!

On 5/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Thank you, this is soooooo true.

Look, if you want to try new food, by all means go for it, but forcing yourself to eat things you do not like isn't a recipe for long-term success.

Point taken. I meant trying things and perhaps learning to like them. I used to think I didn't like yogurt. I kept trying and retrying and mixing it with cinnamon, etc. and now I like it.