Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss is well discussed among the RNY people, but I'm curious, okay, hopeful, that maybe it's not quite as much of a given amongst the MGB people. I wondered if the quicker recovery, shorter surgery, etc. made any difference. What has your experience with this been?

Edited by Valkyrie568
Misspelled word.

In all likelihood you'll lose hair regardless of the bariatric surgery type you undergo. It's due to a process called telogen effluvium:

Similarly, vaccinations, crash dieting, physical trauma such as being in a car crash, and having surgery can sometimes be a shock to the system and a proportion of scalp hair follicles go into hibernation. As the environmental insult passes and the body recovers, the TE subsides and there is new Hair growth.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/types_of_hair_loss/effluviums.asp

The Hair loss typically begins three to four months after the surgery and subsides within a few months. Some people swear by Biotin supplements and Progaine Shampoo and conditioner, but only time will resolve the issue.

Last week was my 3-month surgiversary and as a present, the Hair loss began. To be fair, so far it looks like the kind of normal hair loss I experienced for years (natural shedding? age? malnutrition?) but ever since my surgery I have had experienced very very low levels of hair loss. I've been taking Biotin for a few months since before surgery, and using biotin-based shampoos and conditioners. I don't know if any of that helped, but I sure hope that the hair loss I seem to be experiencing doesn't last too long - I don't have a thick head of hair to begin with!

The article mentions scalp massage, too. I've started the Biotin, zinc and my surgery is probably going to have to be postponed until September, now because of logistics.

I'm expecting Hair loss because I've had it after all 3 pregnancies and after going back to college, including living away from home for 2 semesters as a non-traditional student. So I must be prone to stress induced telogen effluvium:. I just hope it isn't so long lasting I end up with bald patches!

Check your Iron levels. My ferritin was a 4 just a month ago and my hair was coming out. After 2 iron infusions my ferritin is up to 81 in normal range. Now just waiting for hair to come back. I am 17 years post MGB.

I had the sleeve and I lost a lot of hair, but not so much that I needed to wear a wig. Even though Hair loss is considered normal after bariatric surgery it is not normal. Surgeon should be instructing bariatric patients to have their thyroid and hormone levels checked every few months. I'm almost 2 years out of weight-loss surgery and my hair is just starting to thicken up again and grow. I'm about 10 pounds from my goal weight and some of it is still coming out

How is your Iron? Mine was a 4 (ferritin)! Supposed to be 70 or higher!! After 2 infusions, it is an 81 and my hair has stopped falling out. I am 17 years post op. Doc is also concerned about my adrenal glands and cortisol. FINALLY found a doc that will check everything every 3 months!!! Surgeon should definitely say that!!!

Congrats on almost reaching your goal!!! Yay!!