Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soda? Just hit 9 weeks today! Down 38lbs!

Still adjusting to solids but today I craved a Diet Pepsi! Anyone have advice?

Don't do it!!! Avoid carbonation at all costs, it stretches your pouch. You went through all this, don't let soda derail you. It's more than just a soda it effects how much you eat too!

Having a soda isn't going to stretch your sleeve, but it may make you feel miserable. If you are still "adjusting" to solids then I'd stay the hell away from it. Just do a search for soda on here and you'll get a thousand threads on the subject. I'm a little over 3 months out and haven't been willing to test it out. Some people have no issues with carbonation, and others it's a no-go. Even if the carbonation doesn't get to you most docs don't like the idea of getting back into drinks heavy with artificial sweeteners. I was a Diet Dew freak but have been fine since giving it up. Cutting soda out of my daily life has been a big improvement for my overall well-being.

Forgot to mention as to helping curb temptations try to find a non-carbonated drink that you can substitute when you get a bad urge. I get my "fix" of sorts by getting a Propel Water or Powerade Zero. It's not the same but since I don't drink those that often these days they seem like a treat. I also will do a mix of Crystal Light and Diet Cranberry (or Cran-Grape) - something like 3/4 of a glass of apple flavored Crystal Light and 1/4 cranberry. It's low cals/carbs but tastes good and treat myself to that every so often.

I've had diet soda occasionally (three months out). Cans are way too carbonated, and hurt to drink. Fountain drinks (like from a drive-thru) are "flatter" and haven't given me any trouble. I don't make it a habit, though. Maybe once every couple of weeks, for a treat.

Honestly I have had some ginger ale and it's the only thing that has helped some of my nausea. No issues with it whatsoever and I am almost 3 months post op.

On 5/8/2017 at 8:57 PM, mxpxchik11 said:

Avoid carbonation at all costs, it stretches your pouch.

incorrect.

On 5/8/2017 at 8:38 PM, SlimStacey said:

Still adjusting to solids but today I craved a Diet Pepsi! Anyone have advice?

drink La Croix if you want a bubbly treat.

My take is we are looking to CHANGE our eating and drinking habits for good with surgery.... that does not mean finding a way back to soda ...
for me...
Doctors routinely advise against the awful ingredients in soda.
Some people just want what they
Used to do.
I encourage patients to Please try to take this huge change in your body... that you may get only once in your life ....by changing a few basic rules: Water. Protein. Exercise.... really. Truly
It is hard to see some wanting to return to bad habits....
I don't pretend to have all the answers... but drinking a caustic Fluid with no nutritional value cannot be a great part of a healthy new life.
Just my 10 year post op thoughts

My surgery was May 2nd so I'm right at 3 months out. I took one sip of a coke vanilla and I was in pain for over an hour from the carbonation. I'm Gastric Bypass. I can tell you that won't ever happen again.

I can tell you one of my go-to items has been Diet Snapple Peach. I buy them in bottles and keep them handy along with soft ice from Sonics. Between those I have no problems meeting my liquid goal for the day.

I too was s Diet Coke addicted. I never drank coffee but my Diet Coke took its place. I'm proud to say I have not had soda since 5/23/16. I do not miss it. I tried a sip of a flat one right after surgery and it was awful. I drink crystal light now instead and have no problem staying hydrated. It does have to be ice cold so I invested in a 30 oz Yeti tumbler.