Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide if I should just remove my band, or convert

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my band and my doctor is saying we may need to remove it. If so the option is to either simply remove or to remove and if possible switch to a bypass. I'm very nervous and am wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience?

A little background: I had my lapband in 2007 and for the first few years I did great. I lost 145 pounds. At about the 4 year mark I started having issues with heartburn and night cough (basically, I would wake up choking on fluid0 and had a series of unfills that put me at about 50% restriction. I've been there for awhile and over the last 6 years I've gained back about 100 lbs. However, after a cold in January I started having serious issues. I could eat food, but when I would drink fluids without food they would get stuck above the band and I was again waking up choking. Doctor did a complete unfill last week and I am feelig better. She wants me to wait 2 months with NO fill so I can heal some, and then we can try small refills to see if I can g3t restriction again without the issues. She is doubtful of success and wants me to start thinking about if it fails do we remove or do we remove and convert to Bypass.

For those of you who chose the conversation, what helped you make that decision? And, how has life with Bypsass been different than with the band? I really appreciate any insight anyone can share!

Lori

I feel for you, I had similar issues. Once the lapband fails, that's it! Believe me, BTDT. I had my band removed and revised to gastric bypass. Big difference and I would do again in a heartbeat. My practice won't even do bands anymore as they have proven to fail more often than not long term. I feared bypass more than I can say, but for me it has been the true key....no more being a slave to hunger!

One thing I can say is that weight loss may be slower after having another weight loss surgery. Still, I am 63 years old and unless I'm losing, I'm gaining so this is good! Have no fear, just do it.

17352434_10155040197855275_2844226586764078415_n.jpg

I revised band to bypass and am so glad I did. The bypass has a more natural feel. You just get full like a normal person, and I don't have to deal with foods getting stuck and all that. Plus, the weight loss is quicker and better than the band.

Your situation sounds just like mine. I was banded in 2010 & did fantastic. 3.5 years later, it slipped big-time. They did an unfill for a few weeks & then slowly started adding again. Soon the coughing began and then the aspirations at night. Then abdominal pain started. I quit going to the doctor because I knew they'd take it out. Finally had no choice. My insurance would not cover conversion. One thing has led to another. My insurance carrier changed. I've gone back to my original surgeon (who like yours will no longer do lap bands) & I'll be having bypass in July.

It is scary. That's one of the reasons I did the band instead. I've come to a point where it is scarier for me if I don't do it. Now I'm more excited than scared.

One thing to remember is that you can start the process and stop it at any time if you change your mind. The closer I get & the more I learn, the better I feel about the decision.

Hope it helps to know this. Whether or not you convert to RNY, please have the band removed if it continued to cause the problems you listed. Your body is sending you a message. I ignored mine for to long and have done permanent damage because of my own stubbornness.

My only regret is not getting rid of my band sooner. Especially when I found out how common these issues are. I was angry with myself for keeping my head in the sand. Once I had done a little research I realized it had to go. It does not get better, only worse and it can irreparably damage your health. Get it out asap!

Like other ps have said rny is infinitely better. Back to normal...only without the health issues and an extra 100 lbs or so.

thank you all so much for the feedback and sharing your stories. It's good to hear the overall change was positive for all of you.

LaLa Ladybug, keep me informed how it goes with your surgery in July!

thank you all so much for the feedback and sharing your stories. It's good to hear the overall change was positive for all of you.
LaLa Ladybug, keep me informed how it goes with your surgery in July!

You bet!

Your situation sounds just like mine. I was banded in 2010 & did fantastic. 3.5 years later, it slipped big-time. They did an unfill for a few weeks & then slowly started adding again. Soon the coughing began and then the aspirations at night. Then abdominal pain started. I quit going to the doctor because I knew they'd take it out. Finally had no choice. My insurance would not cover conversion. One thing has led to another. My insurance carrier changed. I've gone back to my original surgeon (who like yours will no longer do lap bands) & I'll be having bypass in July.

It is scary. That's one of the reasons I did the band instead. I've come to a point where it is scarier for me if I don't do it. Now I'm more excited than scared.

One thing to remember is that you can start the process and stop it at any time if you change your mind. The closer I get & the more I learn, the better I feel about the decision.

Hope it helps to know this. Whether or not you convert to RNY, please have the band removed if it continued to cause the problems you listed. Your body is sending you a message. I ignored mine for to long and have done permanent damage because of my own stubbornness.

First of all best of luck on your revision surgery! You are absolutely doing the right getting rid of the band. It will only get worse with time. I am having my lapband converted to RNY in July also. after 6.5 years I couldn't stand the pain and had to eat a "bunch" of Tums to only sometimes ease the horrid pain that would last for hours. This happened nearly every time I ate. I am also scared and very nervous going through this as an "older" woman. An EGD showed inflammation that nearly closed the opening from pouch to stomach, gastritis and esophagitis. The UGI showed the barium not going through well, a band slip and a flipped port! Oh, and I've had the night coughing for years since the band. I HATE this thing! My Dr. Said that 95% of band patients that have had them removed with no revision gained 100%* of their weight back. This was a non-starter for me. I originally asked for a sleeve but the gastric reflux that I developed after the band would get worse so the Dr. recommended RNY. I am on Medicare. The Dr.'s insurance girl said they would pay because it has made me so sick I must have it removed and I guess they've paid before in these instances. If they don't, they don't. I can't live like this anymore.

I'm also considering having my band removed and the plication taken down. I'm at the 4.5 year mark and having horrible reflux and some other discomfort. The reflux is so bad, I'm hoarse all the time and wake up coughing.

I'm 62 and scared to revise to a RNY at my age. But I've gained about 30 of the 70 pounds I lost with the band, and I'm afraid I will gain all of it back; possibly more. I'm also scared that the band is doing damage.

From those who have already done the revision, how long were you in the hospital and what was your recovery time? I'm self employed (work from home) and need to know how much time to plan. My doc said 2-3 days in the hospital and at least two weeks recovery. I'm interested to hear other's experiences.

I'm also considering having my band removed and the plication taken down. I'm at the 4.5 year mark and having horrible reflux and some other discomfort. The reflux is so bad, I'm hoarse all the time and wake up coughing.
I'm 62 and scared to revise to a RNY at my age. But I've gained about 30 of the 70 pounds I lost with the band, and I'm afraid I will gain all of it back; possibly more. I'm also scared that the band is doing damage.
From those who have already done the revision, how long were you in the hospital and what was your recovery time? I'm self employed (work from home) and need to know how much time to plan. My doc said 2-3 days in the hospital and at least two weeks recovery. I'm interested to hear other's experiences.

Hello,
The best day for me to have the lap band out and the next best day was to have the bypass! This is much better. The band did do damage inside! I had the bypass May 22 2017. I also gained lbs!! Not happy. Weight is coming off slow but I'm in for the long haul, life style change. Good luck on your decision.
Vironica

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/6/2017 at 9:24 PM, Daenerys Targaryen said:

I revised band to bypass and am so glad I did. The bypass has a more natural feel. You just get full like a normal person, and I don't have to deal with foods getting stuck and all that. Plus, the weight loss is quicker and better than the band.

I really really needed to hear this. The food getting stuck issue was such a hurdle for me with the lap band and I worried a lot about chocking in my sleep or while driving.

For what it's worth, I had my band removed in 2014 as it caused my stomach to twist in a figure eight (gastric volvulus). I was given the option to convert but I didn't. I had so many complications with the band that I was done with any bariatric surgeries. Flash forward to now and because of scarring from the band, I HAVE to have the bypass surgery even though I don't want it. They may even remove the part of the stomach that they bypass.

So, I say go ahead. You'll probably have to anyway at some point.

Sherry
Lap band placed 12/10
Lap band removed 05/14
Gastric bypass 11/17 due to gastric volvulus caused from lap band adhesions

I'm 59 and had the Lapband revision with Gastric bypass 3 weeks ago. I'm so thankful I did already! I only stayed 1 night in the hospital (pre op they thought it would be 2 - 3 days). Surgery went smoothly, although the Dr. said I had a lot of scar tissue around the band. I walked twice the evening of surgery, and walking twice a day around the block (stepping up the distance today). Following instructions to the letter, and I too was anxious prior to surgery, but was miserable with reflux, wt. gain over the past few years & digestion just wasn't right. Wish I knew a few years back the band was probably causing my prior issues, but at least we moved forward! God bless you on your journey, like everyone else - so thankful I did it - NO reflux at all, no med. for Diabetes, and probably come off cholesterol med. (haven't needed to restart it) :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I had my band removed due to the same problems as you. I had a bypass Feb 2015. The bypass is so much easier to live with. It is a dream compared to the band. My surgeon repaired a hiatus hernia at the same time as my bypass. I won't comment on recovery time as I had a bleed and was quite poorly afterwards xx

I'm 62 and scared to revise to a RNY at my age. But I've gained about 30 of the 70 pounds I lost with the band, and I'm afraid I will gain all of it back; possibly more. I'm also scared that the band is doing damage."

Have no fear! I had gastric bypass at 62, last year, after having the band removed. the band caused a ton of scar tissue internally. the surgeon said he worked over an hour to get it all out before he could proceed to the bypass. so it was a long surgery but totally worth it. Much easier to live with.

I am retired but you could probably go back to work in two weeks' time. I have lost much more weight with bypass and have a feeling it will be easier to keep it off due to the mandatory restrictions. My friend was 65 when she had hers done. YMMV