Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is a PPL? and what type of antacids should I purchase?

Hi.

So.

Yes hunger comes back. That is a fact. Some sooner than others. Wls starves your body down to a lower weight. Eventually your body will want to fight that. This is why maintaining is the hardest part for most people.

You can read my story and see what I went through. That may help you.

When my own hunger returned it scared the hell out of me. I put on about 15 pounds (which was actually good since I was underweight) but I was afraid it would never stop.

When my hunger returned I began to emotionally over eat again. I found myself right back were I started, living on a diet and binging out of guilt. I was right back in the loss/regain cycle.

I had dieted my way up to being obese so I knew this was not what I wanted to happen again.

I had to get real. I said to myself - has dieting ever worked for you?

What has been the result of trying to deny your hunger? What has happened when you have eaten less than your body clearly wanted?

Well- I gained weight. Lots of it.

I wasn't about to let that happen again.

I got real and discovered intuitive eating, sought eating disorder therapy, learned to practice mindful eating, I got into a healthy routine for exercising, and I decided to honor my bodies hunger and always eat enough to satisfy it.

I gave up dieting and weighing myself. I decided to love myself at any weight my body chose to be. I decided to step out of the cycle of hunger and guilt.

There was NO way I was going to be able to be happy hungry for the rest of my life.

I now maintain my weight within a healthy range and I eat whatever appeals to me. Life is good. My weight isn't what I plan my happiness around anymore. If I gain, so be it. It's okay to take up space in the world.

Feel free to pm me anytime.

I'm here cause I'm in the same place but worse I'm 4 months post op no complications i was 320 when I had surgery I went down to 262 and I've had 2 stalls since surgery my taste buds and sense of smell changed for a while but are now back to normal i hungry again as well not to the extent of before but more than I would like to be it also seems my pouch can hold more I'm terrified I will go backwards in embarrassed I've gained 5 pounds( 267) I need help I'm not even 6 months out how is this happening ?

1 hour ago, bellabloom said:

Hi.

So.

Yes hunger comes back. That is a fact. Some sooner than others. Wls starves your body down to a lower weight. Eventually your body will want to fight that. This is why maintaining is the hardest part for most people.

You can read my story and see what I went through. That may help you.

When my own hunger returned it scared the hell out of me. I put on about 15 pounds (which was actually good since I was underweight) but I was afraid it would never stop.

When my hunger returned I began to emotionally over eat again. I found myself right back were I started, living on a diet and binging out of guilt. I was right back in the loss/regain cycle.

I had dieted my way up to being obese so I knew this was not what I wanted to happen again.

I had to get real. I said to myself - has dieting ever worked for you?

What has been the result of trying to deny your hunger? What has happened when you have eaten less than your body clearly wanted?

Well- I gained weight. Lots of it.

I wasn't about to let that happen again.

I got real and discovered intuitive eating, sought eating disorder therapy, learned to practice mindful eating, I got into a healthy routine for exercising, and I decided to honor my bodies hunger and always eat enough to satisfy it.

I gave up dieting and weighing myself. I decided to love myself at any weight my body chose to be. I decided to step out of the cycle of hunger and guilt.

There was NO way I was going to be able to be happy hungry for the rest of my life.

I now maintain my weight within a healthy range and I eat whatever appeals to me. Life is good. My weight isn't what I plan my happiness around anymore. If I gain, so be it. It's okay to take up space in the world.

Feel free to pm me anytime.

this is very inspiring! when I first started to feel hungry I was told that it was "all in my head." I knew the pain I was feeling. I believe that I have a good balance, but I am afraid that I am eating too much and I am going to stretch out my sleeve. I am going to PM you

2 hours ago, Fresh_Start17 said:

what is a PPL? and what type of antacids should I purchase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor

Ask your Dr which one they recommend.

Post op your body is still producing acid for a full size stomach. I didn't start taking my PPI right away because I never had GERD pre-op and didn't think it was necessary. Big mistake. I never had hunger issues still don't (well not physical hunger anyway, head hunger, sure). If you let acid rage out of control, it takes longer to calm down. Take a PPI for 6 months, it won't hurt you and it will make post-op life a lot easier.

First of all hunger isn't painful ,, starvation is painful .. and it take about 30 days for you to starve to death. Surgery is a tool that helps your body .. it doesn't fix your head. Hunger "pains" are normal and shouldn't be feared... You're not going to starve! We all need to break the cycle of thinking that if I have hunger pains I need to eat or, or ... or what? If you wake up hungry.. that's also completely normal. Whats not normal is eating like your going to the chair lol. I think when we get hungry, we eat with our eyes instead of our brains! You, as a WLS patient, only need 4-5 oz to feel full, 4-5 oz of food should make everyone else feel at least content, and if it doesn't there is something wrong with you, but its not because your starving or more importantly in pain.

First of all hunger isn't painful ,, starvation is painful .. and it take about 30 days for you to starve to death. Surgery is a tool that helps your body .. it doesn't fix your head. Hunger "pains" are normal and shouldn't be feared... You're not going to starve! We all need to break the cycle of thinking that if I have hunger pains I need to eat or, or ... or what? If you wake up hungry.. that's also completely normal. Whats not normal is eating like your going to the chair lol. I think when we get hungry, we eat with our eyes instead of our brains! You, as a WLS patient, only need 4-5 oz to feel full, 4-5 oz of food should make everyone else feel at least content, and if it doesn't there is something wrong with you, but its not because your starving or more importantly in pain.

I'm going to disagree and say hunger is both physically and emotionally painful for me. Hunger is not a natural or good state for our body to be in nor is it necessary to lose weight.

There is only so long someone can be hungry and in pain from this before their body will rebel and they will be unable to keep going.

This is why I've explored other options in maintaining my weight and have been successful at both staying at a healthy weight and never having to feel hunger.

I never lost my hunger. I'm only 9 weeks out but I struggle with hunger pangs all the time.

Are you sure it's not acid. I get what feels like hunger pains and then take Pepcid Complete and it disappears.

I never lost my hunger. I'm only 9 weeks out but I struggle with hunger pangs all the time.

Me too

For those that still get hunger pains .. I feel so sorry for you. I don't think I could have been as successful as you if I did. Cheers to you for being strong!

Have you considered eating a ketogenic diet with high fats, moderate Protein and low carbs? That's what I eat and I know a lot of other postop vsg people that do and they are very successful. It seriously helps with hunger and you won't crave carbs. Carbs are the devil. lol. Hope this helps.

I came back to Bariatric Pal and was so happy to find this tread. I am 2 years out and 100 lbs lost and maintained. I always knew maintenance would be the hardest part and was happy the first year but coming into 18 months and Christmas I started eating sugar and carbs again and I am a full blown addict. Have gained 9 lbs and am terrified I am going back to the gain spiral. I am craving food 24x7. I wake up and am hungry all the time, I am eating every 2 hours. It is like I never had surgery. I know it is in my head but I am lost as to what to do. I was so close to my goal. I almost want the surgery again.