Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Had a Second Sleeve?

I am almost 2 years postop and am concerned I've stretched my pouch. I know I eat too much and have gained about 15 pounds. I need to lose more weight before I can have knee replacement surgery, yet I continue eating the wrong foods and too much. I am scheduled to see a therapist but am wondering if anyone has had a sleeve revision (sleeve to sleeve). I don't want to consider bypass. Thanks in advance for any insight.

It really wouldn't help, even if they could do it (which they most likely can't, sorry.) It is common to regain a little. But since you need to lose more, you are going to need to change your lifestyle. Go back to basics. Protein first, plenty of Water, veggies, and exercise. Cut out the empty carbs and sliders. You can do this!

I'm a little over 2 years out too and have gained about 10. I'm not as strict as I was but I also work like crazy. I don't regret getting sleeved but what I've learned is the most weight loss really is within the first six months (during healing). After your stomach heals, you can eat more but more importantly, your metabolism has crawled to nothing. Therefore, when you do start eating more, it only takes a minimal amount of calories to make you gain.

@SoCalLeslie

Do you weigh all of your food and track it? Do you start your meals with 4 ounces of dense Protein? That is the first place to start to get back on track. If you weigh/measure track your food and use that for Portion Control, you don't over eat. 4 ounces is enough to fill me up and satisfy me, even though I can eat 6, I choose not to eat 6. I am talking about dense protein. I can eat endless amounts of trash if I choose to.

You had surgery 2 days after me. I don't see how your sleeve could be stretched, not to the point of causing regain. I'm still losing weight at almost 22 months out from surgery.

You already admitted to eating the wrong things, being resleeved or revised isn't going to save you from bad food choices, not long term. Even if you revise if you don't create proper eating habits, once that "honeymoon" period is over, also called healing, you will just start eating poorly and regaining again.

Hopefully the therapist can help you with your eating. Good Luck!

@akreese02

My metabolism is high to normal. I can maintain on over 2000 calories, and lose albeit slowly on just a little less, with minimal exercise. If you eat properly and increase your calories as you progress you don't damage your metabolism. I'm not guessing about my metabolic level, I have it tested. I started having it tested at first just to dispel this idea that surgery kills your metabolism and to make sure mine was on track so I couldn't use "slow metabolism" as a crutch for bad choices. There are a lot of other people that post here, like @BigViffer that maintain and lose on higher calories, but they all raised their calories as they progressed from surgery. The reason people regain on just a few calories is they keep their calories in the 800-1000 range for too long and kill their metabolism.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I had my sleeve last August, 2016. While there another patient was there for a "sleeve revision". Perhaps you could have your doctor do a barium test on your sleeve to see if it has enlarged. I know some doctors will do a revision and repair. Good luck.

9 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

@SoCalLeslie

Do you weigh all of your food and track it? Do you start your meals with 4 ounces of dense Protein? That is the first place to start to get back on track. If you weigh/measure track your food and use that for Portion Control, you don't over eat. 4 ounces is enough to fill me up and satisfy me, even though I can eat 6, I choose not to eat 6. I am talking about dense Protein. I can eat endless amounts of trash if I choose to.

You had surgery 2 days after me. I don't see how your sleeve could be stretched, not to the point of causing regain. I'm still losing weight at almost 22 months out from surgery.

You already admitted to eating the wrong things, being resleeved or revised isn't going to save you from bad food choices, not long term. Even if you revise if you don't create proper eating habits, once that "honeymoon" period is over, also called healing, you will just start eating poorly and regaining again.

Hopefully the therapist can help you with your eating. Good Luck!

@akreese02

My metabolism is high to normal. I can maintain on over 2000 calories, and lose albeit slowly on just a little less, with minimal exercise. If you eat properly and increase your calories as you progress you don't damage your metabolism. I'm not guessing about my metabolic level, I have it tested. I started having it tested at first just to dispel this idea that surgery kills your metabolism and to make sure mine was on track so I couldn't use "slow metabolism" as a crutch for bad choices. There are a lot of other people that post here, like @BigViffer that maintain and lose on higher calories, but they all raised their calories as they progressed from surgery. The reason people regain on just a few calories is they keep their calories in the 800-1000 range for too long and kill their metabolism.

Facts!

9 hours ago, chuswysly said:

I had my sleeve last August, 2016. While there another patient was there for a "sleeve revision". Perhaps you could have your doctor do a barium test on your sleeve to see if it has enlarged. I know some doctors will do a revision and repair. Good luck.

Yes I have heard of quite a few people doing a sleeve to sleeve revision due to no weight loss or over eating and truly expanding it. YouTube has videos of it. I personally wouldn't want to redo anything, get strict and get back on track! Gl to you.

I should add that everyone is different. I'm 45 and missing half my thyroid and underwent a partial hysterectomy (that will slow down anyone's metabolism).
So for ME, restricting calories to 500-800 worked at first but if I did that now, my body would revolt and hold onto weight (I also follow a Keto diet). If I go over 1500, I gain so (again for me) 1,000 with lots of exercise will get me losing and 1200 with exercise will have me maintaining.

Thanks, I'm struggling losing, 6 mo out. Great facts about too low calories. I too have gone to high Protein ,low carbs, and am starting to lose again, I also joined a senior membership at a local YMCA, which has a great pool and Water aerobics, exercise is essential. To me, the surgery is a life saving measure initially, but the rest is up to us.

I am almost 2 years postop and am concerned I've stretched my pouch. I know I eat too much and have gained about 15 pounds. I need to lose more weight before I can have knee replacement surgery, yet I continue eating the wrong foods and too much. I am scheduled to see a therapist but am wondering if anyone has had a sleeve revision (sleeve to sleeve). I don't want to consider bypass. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hi SoCal, I'm sorry you're having issues, and you already answered your own dilemma! You're eating the wrong foods.

Surgeons have done study after study and find the pouch does not stretch over time, but what happens is the hormones change, signaling your brain you can eat more. It's normal to feel you can eat more, and very expected. You did nothing wrong, and did not stretch out your pouch.

A revision is possible but any doctor will let you know that a revision won't help you in the long run, but changing your habits will. You need to eat many more veggies and fruit, legumes and nuts. Steer clear of beef, beef has fat hormones. chicken a tough on digestion. Eat fish, it's high in Protein and gentle on the tummy. The Mediterranean Diet, basically. Don't regress back to the diet you were on initially (liquid)- that will harm your metabolism.

If you cannot kick your bad habits, I suggest a support group for food addiction or a therapist, which may help you alleviate some of your issues with eating the foods you seem drawn to eating/or are addicted to by addressing the reason why you eat those.

The surgery is a one time deal, really, to address those issues before hand and try to curb the tendencies that helped us put on on weight in the first place. Many people find themselves in your predicament and are hard on themselves, when really the solution is to simply change your eating and exercise habits to what they need to be for the rest of your life.

I also suggest working out. The best exercises are some you can do outside a gym and in your home, push ups, squats, anything you use your own body weight. These reduce injury and burn a lot as you get cardio and weight in simultaneously.

Wishing you absolute success! I think you can do this!

I. Had the gastric bypass and I was down to 130 and now weigh 207 as of today.Does any one know where I can get the pouch test and the first weeks of surgery diet?

I. Had the gastric bypass and I was down to 130 and now weigh 207 as of today.Does any one know where I can get the pouch test and the first weeks of surgery diet?

This is a diet like any other. Most people begin to be able to eat more and deal with regain unless they change their relationship with food and by that I mean to STOP dieting.