Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon recommended 40-60 grams of Protein per day for women in his practice. From what I've read on here, most everyone has been told to get or gets way more than that. Does this seem to low to y'all? Wondering if I need to be getting more. I do tend to hit closer to 60 most days.

I've never heard of Protein goals that low (like 40 low). The NUT at my practice said 80 grams, but I told her a long time ago that I was aiming for 100 grams or more. My team pretty much leaves me alone since I've been so successful.

I might get a second opinion on that protein goal. (Or at least ask what their rationale is for making such a low goal amount...)

A Protein goal that low is for someone who is sedentary and doesn't do much. That would be the minimum for the body to function. If you are active at all, you are going to need double that or you are going to see hair falling out and probably issues with your skin and nails as well. Having a day that low won't be an issue, as a lifestyle though, it is just not a good idea.

57 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

A Protein goal that low is for someone who is sedentary and doesn't do much. That would be the minimum for the body to function. If you are active at all, you are going to need double that or you are going to see hair falling out and probably issues with your skin and nails as well. Having a day that low won't be an issue, as a lifestyle though, it is just not a good idea.

I agree, my Dr said 90-100 gram

My doctor said 80-100 grams of Protein daily also. My energy has been increased and I'm still losing steadily. I would encourage you to get a second opinion on that.

Thanks everyone!!! Will be talking to Nut at my 2-mo appt next week, esp. since I should be released for more strenuous exercise.

My surgeon recommended 40-60 grams of Protein per day for women in his practice. From what I've read on here, most everyone has been told to get or gets way more than that. Does this seem to low to y'all? Wondering if I need to be getting more. I do tend to hit closer to 60 most days.

I live in the Dallas area and my Doctor has been voted one of the top surgeons in Dallas every year since 1992. He recommends 40g protein the first week post op then 60 after 8 days. That seems to be working for me.

Sometimes I really wonder if there is confusion on this topic. Like is 60 just a goal when you are healing and your consumption is limited or is 60 really for life?

I'd starve on 40g of Protein a day.

40g definitely seems too low for someone who just had surgery. My NUT recommends 60-75grams per day, but I'm hoping to aim for 90g/day. Your body needs Protein to heal, particularly after surgery.

Maybe your NUT said 40grams for the immediate post-op period since it's so difficult to meet 60+grams right away. My team frequently acknowledged that I will probably not meet my protein goals for the first 1-2 weeks, but any further than that it would be considered a problem.

Edited by MSinger

This is minimum Protein guidelines. No harm in 30 grams per meal as long as the carbs are low. I know liquid calories are frowned upon but there are low calorie sources of tasteless protein that even mix with Water. IMG_0817.thumb.JPG.35031e96be7183fc54129278f3b4d85f.JPG

This issue isn't the 30 grams they claim. It is the fact they are claiming that 10 grams contains 30 grams. Which defies all logic and known science.