Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Get it Started, July 2017 Sleevers!

I get my date today:) I'll ask for June since I am self pay- I am required to do two weeks of a pre-op diet

July 5th in Mexico for me!

I am in Australia and have surgery booked for July 11. I'm new to the boards and would love an Aussie buddy :)

Hi everyone, I am due to have surgery on the 3rd of July and I've just started my 2 week pre-op diet.

Nerves and excitement are in full swing and I would so love to have some others to chat with that understand this feeling :P

5 hours ago, zoefightsthefatvsg said:

Hi everyone, I am due to have surgery on the 3rd of July and I've just started my 2 week pre-op diet.

Nerves and excitement are in full swing and I would so love to have some others to chat with that understand this feeling :P

I am starting Optifast tomorrow. Spent the day looking at vegan recipes to try and make meals with all the veggies. Getting excited!

[mention=318364]Redo2017[/mention] We are surgery date buddies! My Surgery is also scheduled for July 10th. This is my very first post in any of these threads, but I have been reading a lot in recent months! I have always been plus size and my weight never really bothered me (that much) and I have always been comfortable in my skin. But I have had some recent health problems, I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 10 years ago and after every diet in the book and every drug I think I could try, I still can't get my weight consistently under control. So I am taking charge!
I am nervous too, and like you not about the surgery its self, that will probably be the easiest part. But I am worried about how I am going to deal with the life changes. I haven't been able to do it before on my own. This is a big change!!!
anyways I just wanted to post since we have the same surgery date, and I could definitely use some friends that are going through the same thing as me. I have not told many people about my surgery, how are you dealing with that aspect of this?

My surgery is July 10th too! I just got the insurance approval on Friday! I'm excited but nervous about adjusting after the surgery. My biggest concerns are lack of energy and Hair loss.

I'm having problems with everyone I mention I'm having to surgery to (family and friends) all say 'I don't look like I need the surgery' which has turned into a HUGE source of frustration. I carry my weight well but I medically qualified with a BMI just over 40. That's morbidly obese! I've had such a hard time keeping weight off I've put my life on hold because of self esteem issues. I 'need' this surgery to get weight off but more importantly be a tool to keep it off! I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this and has any words of wisdom but I'd sure appreciate some ideas on how to deal. Thanks everyone!

My surgery is July 10th too! I just got the insurance approval on Friday! I'm excited but nervous about adjusting after the surgery. My biggest concerns are lack of energy and Hair loss.

I'm having problems with everyone I mention I'm having to surgery to (family and friends) all say 'I don't look like I need the surgery' which has turned into a HUGE source of frustration. I carry my weight well but I medically qualified with a BMI just over 40. That's morbidly obese! I've had such a hard time keeping weight off I've put my life on hold because of self esteem issues. I 'need' this surgery to get weight off but more importantly be a tool to keep it off! I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this and has any words of wisdom but I'd sure appreciate some ideas on how to deal. Thanks everyone!

It's great to have another July 10th buddy! I have only told my husband about my surgery because I don't want the negativity. It's enough dealing with my own fears and doubts. What about just telling friends/family that if they don't have anything supportive to say then you don't want to hear it? I know it's harsh, but it may avoid a confrontation down the road.

I also carry my weight well, very proportionate, which is what has led me down the path to also having a BMI just over 40. I've always been able to find cute clothes and I'm pretty confident so it's taken health issues for me to really see how heavy I've become. I've also always been fairly athletic, but recently I've gotten winded really easily when I'm running around with my kids. Not good.

I look forward to going through this experience with you! I start my pre op diet a week from tomorrow. How about you? It's so close! I'm starting to freak out!

It's great to have another July 10th buddy! I have only told my husband about my surgery because I don't want the negativity. It's enough dealing with my own fears and doubts. What about just telling friends/family that if they don't have anything supportive to say then you don't want to hear it? I know it's harsh, but it may avoid a confrontation down the road.

I also carry my weight well, very proportionate, which is what has led me down the path to also having a BMI just over 40. I've always been able to find cute clothes and I'm pretty confident so it's taken health issues for me to really see how heavy I've become. I've also always been fairly athletic, but recently I've gotten winded really easily when I'm running around with my kids. Not good.

I look forward to going through this experience with you! I start my pre op diet a week from tomorrow. How about you? It's so close! I'm starting to freak out!

Thank you for your advice! I'll give that a shot! I'm going to stop telling people unless they ask, as well. It'll be hard for me because I have no secrets but The doubt/negativity is really bothering me.

My surgeon hasn't given me a pre-op diet, which I find very strange. I have an appointment with the bariatric nurse five days before the surgery to go over specifics and get some lab work done. I've read a lot about pre-op procedures, I'm going to call the bariatric office on Monday to see what I should be doing (maybe I missed something in the literature?).

I'm really excited right now! My mom if flying up from FL to stay with me, I get a ton of time off of work, and I'm on a road to a healthier happier me! I'm so ready to do this, I can't wait!

My biggest fear is not the surgery, but my food issues after the surgery. I am a HUGE binge eater on anything salty or crunchy or bready..I never eat sweets ever, dont like them at all, ppl think im crazy because I hate ice cream but i can down 3 Bagels in one sitting ! My huge fear is that I will still want to eat when im not hungry and binge on foods I shouldn't. I am petrified that although my body will change, my head wont. does anyone know any good videos or anything to help with this? I can't afford therapist my insurance a waste of time. thanks!

My biggest fear is not the surgery, but my food issues after the surgery. I am a HUGE binge eater on anything salty or crunchy or bready..I never eat sweets ever, dont like them at all, ppl think im crazy because I hate ice cream but i can down 3 Bagels in one sitting ! My huge fear is that I will still want to eat when im not hungry and binge on foods I shouldn't. I am petrified that although my body will change, my head wont. does anyone know any good videos or anything to help with this? I can't afford therapist my insurance a waste of time. thanks!

While I'm not really a binge eater, I am an emotional eater. I think the best advice is to find a substitute activity for when you would normally turn to food. My plan is to use exercise, meditation, and painting to help fill the "void" when I can't turn to food to soothe me anymore. Take my advice with a grain of salt however, I am still pre-op!

I'm scheduled for 7/20. Have my cardiac eval and egd scheduled for this week! Time is flying by. My surgeon isn't requiring a preop diet, just nothing after midnight the night before, AND I'm an outpatient surgery. Looking for anyone with same sort of scenario.

Are you serious? I've never heard of that! My surgeon requires me to just have liquids 10 days before. I'm going july 15th...How will your liver shrink with just one day? thats odd. you dont have any other pre op requirements?

I'm schedule for July 5th and have been following a no-carb for the last few weeks. Starting Wednesday (2 weeks out) I will be on a high Protein liquid diet. I've never heard of no pre-op other than fasting for the night!

My surgeon told me the same...nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I had been on high Protein low carb diet for months before my surgery date and lost an additional 24lbs....so my liver shrunk a lot already

Oh thats why! I ididnt realize you were already on low carb...thats why he did it :)