Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein and my sleeve's precious little space

The reality that "patients don't have much room for vegetables after consuming necessary protein" is one that makes me think about the rest of my life.
I have to say the thought of living on 4 meals of almost exclusively Protein, and a bunch of supplements (to round out how terribly unbalanced that is and keep me from essential Vitamin deficiency) is a little depressing.
Not I-wish-I-hadn't-done-this depressing, but still kind of depressing.
I mean, I am not just someone that wanted to lose weight, I am someone that wanted to be reborn as someone that could nourish themselves sanely with balanced meals.
My last meal with an intact stomach was a tiny portion of grilled chicken breast, a tiny portion of spinach, and a tiny portion of brown rice (It was probably a 350 calorie meal tops) and the daydream that someday I could eat this tiny balanced meal and be satisfied
Stage 1 (liquids and protein powders) has got me thinking: what if in the future I use protein powders more aggressively, having two 100 calorie / 25g protein doses (either in Water or broth).
If I did that, I'd have the protein requirements of the day practically covered, then I could eat these tiny banana-volume meals, but enjoy more BALANCED ones, with a tiny tasting of a protein (without having to fill up on protein just to make my "quota"), and accompany that with the room to eat some deliciously prepared leafy greens and some low glycemic index unrefined carbs.
I guess stomach capacity is such a premium for a post-op bariatric patient, that it seems unbalanced and wasteful to dedicate almost all of it to protein eating, and then turn to Multivitamins for the rest of my nutrition.
Curious what folks are doing and if this question even makes sense to anyone.

Edited by TheRealSergio

7 minutes ago, TheRealSergio said:
The reality that "patients don't have much room for vegetables after consuming necessary protein" is one that makes me think about the rest of my life.
I have to say the thought of living on 4 meals of almost exclusively Protein, and a bunch of supplements (to round out how terribly unbalanced that is and keep me from essential Vitamin deficiency) is a little depressing.
I mean, I am not just someone that wanted to lose weight, I am someone that wanted to be reborn as someone that could nourish themselves sanely with balanced meals.
My last meal with an intact stomach was a tiny portion of grilled chicken breast, a tiny portion of spinach, and a tiny portion of brown rice (It was probably a 350 calorie meal tops) and the daydream that someday I could eat this tiny balanced meal and be satisfied
Stage 1 (liquids and Protein powders) has got me thinking: what if in the future I use protein powders more aggressively, having two 100 calorie / 25g protein doses (either in Water or broth).
If I did that, I'd have the protein requirements of the day practically covered, then I could eat these tiny banana-volume meals, but enjoy more BALANCED ones, with a tiny tasting of a protein (without having to fill up on protein just to make my "quota"), and accompany that with the room to eat some deliciously prepared leafy greens and some low glycemic index unrefined carbs.
I guess stomach capacity is such a premium for a post-op bariatric patient, that it seems unbalanced and wasteful to dedicate almost all of it to protein eating, and then turn to Multivitamins for the rest of my nutrition.

Makes total sense and what you described is exactly what I plan to do. I am going for a plant based diet. we can get protein in through plants too, but given that shortly after post op and the limited space, I'll be working on the Protein Shakes, etc first. I suspect it might not be until maintenance, when we can eat a bit more to go all out. BUT, with that said, my nutritionist approved my green bombs that I throw in my protein shakes. I freeze ice cube size amounts of spinach, kale, ginger, gr Apple, cucumber, avocado, and even coconut oil mixed together. I will be blending one cube with my drinks to get that extra nutrition in, until I can work up to 2-3 per drink. Or maybe put them in Soups, etc....the volume will essentially be gone and in drink form.

Edited by Newme17

19 minutes ago, TheRealSergio said:
Stage 1 (liquids and Protein powders) has got me thinking: what if in the future I use protein powders more aggressively, having two 100 calorie / 25g protein doses (either in Water or broth).

Honestly you are over thinking something that happens for a very limited amount of time. The amount of time that you can just eat protein is probably 6 months, maybe 12, and that is going to vary day by day. People focus too much energy on the time immediately post-op and never think long term. I think that is why so many people regain and start regaining so fast post-op. They assume post-op portions and restriction are the restriction for life and that just isn't true.

Planning a post-op life around using protein powders and supplements is probably not going to work. The main reason being, after you are stuck on those for weeks you won't want to see another one, ever or for a long time. I used to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast for years before surgery. I liked them. Now I will just go hungry before I have a protein shake. If I never see another one again in life, I'm good with it.

You can't really accurately plan a post-op life when you are pre-op because surgery changes your life and your attitude towards food. You can't imagine it pre-op and no one can really accurately explain it to you. I'm trying but you have to experience it.

Also with a normal size stomach, you can't imagine what having a small stomach is like. So unless you are an insane food addict. Eating 2-3 ounces of protein is going to take a lot of energy and you won't even be interested in eating anything else plus you will be stuffed.

What I started doing to have veggies was have them as a mid afternoon snack. So I had an afternoon salad. which I LOVED, because I could eat a large volume of baby spinach.

Most green veggies at a certain point are going to be come a slider so you won't even want to eat them protein. I hate when I go out and get a chicken Cesar salad because they don't come with much chicken anyway and it gets pushed through my stomach with salad greens.

As far as Vitamins, I don't get why people are so anti-vitamins. I have taken a Multivitamin my entire life. They are just a part of general good health. Most people are Vitamin deficient even with a balanced diet just because of how our food is grown and processed. It is basically impossible to eat enough food to meet your vitamin requirements, even with a regular size stomach.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I'm 8 months out. My days vary, depending on where I am, but I either have a Protein Shake (if I'm in the car driving in the morning) or an Oikos yogurt for Breakfast. (15-20g protein). lunch is usually some Protein - about 3 ounces and if I still feel the need to eat something, maybe some raw veggies - celery, carrots, sweet peppers. Morning snack is cheese. Afternoon snack is nuts. dinner is whatever I make for my family - protein, veg, and a carb. Sometimes I have a bite of rice or potato, sometimes I don't. Like Outside said, you need to get your head in the right place.

The main reason being, after you are stuck on those for weeks you won't want to see another one, ever or for a long time. I used to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast for years before surgery. I liked them. Now I will just go hungry before I have a Protein shake. If I never see another one again in life, I'm good with it.

YMMV. For me, I am seeing getting 60g of protein in solid food as an enormous space requirement from my sleeve, that seems to preclude the possibility of eating what remotely looks like a balanced meal (it would have to almost all be protein with no room for anything else)

You can't really accurately plan a post-op life when you are pre-op ...

To the various times in your response that you assume I am pre-op, I point out (as my profile says) that my surgery was April 26th and I've lost over 20 lbs in the last 8 days post op. Yes I have no experience with Stage 3 eating, and was looking for experience of others (including but not limited to yours) and not "planning" anything in stone.

As far as Vitamins, I don't get why people are so anti-vitamins. I have taken a Multivitamin my entire life. They are just a part of general good health. Most people are Vitamin deficient even with a balanced diet just because of how our food is grown and processed. It is basically impossible to eat enough food to meet your Vitamin requirements, even with a regular size stomach.

Not anti-vitamin. I am anti a day of largely eating nothing but protein and having room for nothing else in the balanced eating equation. I know I signed up for needing a Multivitamin for the rest of my life by doing this.

Just my two cents: it's a temporary thing. You will be able to eat more balanced meals when you're farther along. (BTW, I'm three weeks out and I can already eat a balanced dinner, even if the portions are tiny.) At the moment you're concentrating on Protein to help your body heal, prevent muscle wasting, etc. It won't be like this forever. :-)

RNY 14 April 2017
SW: 295 lb / 134 kg
GW: 187 lb / 85 kg (I'll see when I get there)

10 days post-op isn't an accurate view of life post-op. If this is your plan and you think it will work for you then do it.

Long term you aren't going to have limited stomach space. In fact for the majority of the rest of your life you will not have limited stomach space. The amount of time you have limited stomach space is very short.

My only caution to you is. The way you are planning on eating might satisfy you while you are swollen and still healing, long term, everything you are eating is a slider and you won't be satisfied.

Starting post-op basing your diet on sliders (even healthy ones) might not be the best idea.

Basing your life and eating off your immediate post-op restriction, long term is a recipe for failure.

I suggest YouTube search folks who are 1-10 years post op and you will see that it's a huge difference in the amount you can eat 10dpo. I'm 7 weeks & hqvw no appetite. I make sure I take my Gummy multi & Biotin though haha. My biggest concerns have been about long term studies & possible complications

The main reason being, after you are stuck on those for weeks you won't want to see another one, ever or for a long time. I used to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast for years before surgery. I liked them. Now I will just go hungry before I have a Protein shake. If I never see another one again in life, I'm good with it.
YMMV. For me, I am seeing getting 60g of protein in solid food as an enormous space requirement from my sleeve, that seems to preclude the possibility of eating what remotely looks like a balanced meal (it would have to almost all be protein with no room for anything else)

You can't really accurately plan a post-op life when you are pre-op ...

To the various times in your response that you assume I am pre-op, I point out (as my profile says) that my surgery was April 26th and I've lost over 20 lbs in the last 8 days post op. Yes I have no experience with Stage 3 eating, and was looking for experience of others (including but not limited to yours) and not "planning" anything in stone.
As far as Vitamins, I don't get why people are so anti-vitamins. I have taken a Multivitamin my entire life. They are just a part of general good health. Most people are Vitamin deficient even with a balanced diet just because of how our food is grown and processed. It is basically impossible to eat enough food to meet your Vitamin requirements, even with a regular size stomach.
Not anti-vitamin. I am anti a day of largely eating nothing but protein and having room for nothing else in the balanced eating equation. I know I signed up for needing a multivitamin for the rest of my life by doing this.

You don't have to eat only protein, just make what do you eat higher in protein. I had RNY in November 2016 and I don't drink any drinks to meet my "quota" as you say. Once you get to the regular food stage it will get easier for you. You're still early out.

@TheRealSergio I felt pretty overwhelmed by the idea of being dependent on drinks/powders and not having room for anything but Protein when I was your stage post-op. I'm currently 8 months out. I assure you it got easier once I was released to full foods and was able to experiment more. My husband is diabetic and decided to clean up his eating to accomodate my dietary needs as well. We've had to figure out the best ways to make the main portion of our dishes as high in protein as possible, and that has meant experimenting with spices, rubs, etc. It has been fun. I regularly hit Keto, paleo, and bariatric foodie sites and message boards to explore my options. I do eat vegetables, just not very large portions, but try to combine them with a protein rich item. I don't eat bread by choice as I am one of the unfortunate sleevers who has dumping syndrome. I don't miss it and even at 8 months out, I am amazed at what I don't miss and how much my tastes have changed. There are days that I don't meet my protein goal, but I just try to do better then next day. I have had a ready to drink shake here and there while traveling as it was the most convenient and healthier option at the convenience store. :)

Congratulations on your weight loss. I hope you'll be able to find something that works for you. Best wishes to you.

My feelings post-op were very similar to yours. I was stunned by how much I missed eating a salad, and I literally got teary and ridiculous one night watching my husband eat grilled asparagus...I could have punched him.
I'm now almost 11 months out and I can get my needed Protein AND some vegetables in at each meal. We're on vacation and at dinner last night, I had tuna poke, jicama slaw and a lovely local beer. The difference was that I had 3 oz of tuna, 3 bites of slaw and only one beer ;-) I do, daily and plan to for the near future, add a scoop of protein to my morning coffee. That give me a jump-start of 30g for my day, making getting ~80-90g much easier. I also will just eat a small lettuce/kale/tomato/cuke salad as a 'snack' if I'm really craving veg that day. I dress it with a splash of coconut oil and vinegar and eat just that, with no protein to fill me up.

I will tell you that it's very very hard to see what nearly 1 year post-op will be like when you're still in your first 3 or 4 months. People tell you things and you think that's not how it's going to be for you...all of our experiences are individual and different in their totality, but we all have some commonalities as well. Your capacity WILL increase, you WILL have days when you overeat, under-eat, eat stupid things and days when you are a cover model for "Bariatric Success Weekly". I'm a planner by nature and like to control things...I've had to let go of so many of the things I was SURE were going to happen/not happen and that's been very good for me. It's been a wild ride since last June but I don't miss the 90 lbs I left in the dust :)

I wish you much success, and I'm sure you will be very successful with the amount of thought and effort you're putting in...take care!

*Not anti-vitamin. I am anti a day of largely eating nothing but Protein and having room for nothing else in the balanced eating equation. I know I signed up for needing a Multivitamin for the rest of my life by doing this.*

I've always been very big on getting my nutrients from food, but even with my ability to eat a more balanced diet, I'll never get what I need from food now. Ever. Heck, I was anemic and Vitamin D deficient BEFORE surgery...I have no hope of ever meeting those needs on my tiny meals. However, now that I'm fully committed to using Vitamin supplements daily, I feel better and healthier than I ever did back when I was eating without limits. Weird, but true.