Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tuned into Dr Phil (disclaimer: I am in a hotel and never watch daytime tv at home) and caught the last 15 of a show about the three ways parents make their children obese. And then the commercials were Werther caramel candy and pizza. It would be funny if it weren't tragic. And the parents were very overweight as well and from what I saw they danced around the issue of ' stop feeding them processed food' IMO. Granted I only saw a brief segment. But for a 5 yr old to be 90 pounds there are some issues with what the parents are buying and feeding each other. And the solution was to have was to have a company provide all their meals and for a trainer to comeme to the house to educate them on nutrition and exercise.

I am obviously choosing my own poison to eat right now, but when I raised my kids they were not fat because I controlled what was purchased and consumed. For one reason - my 2 middle children were type 1 diabetics at age 9 and 11, and their life depended on correct blood sugar levels. (Do not confuse the types of diabetes here as they are completely different mechanisms). I had good nutrition in the house from the first child 13 years prior, so suddenly having 2 children within 6 months be type 1 was mindblowing but type 1 is an immune system issue and not a metabolic issue.

I guess my point is - how can having premade food make a permanent change for them if they keep saying - you did nothing wrong here.

It's a sobering fact that kids may not outlive their parents. The obesity rates are very high due to all the processed food & imo kids don't get out like they use to. My parents kept us outside playing.

Yeah, I don't get it. I was not more than 160 pounds through my early 20's. It was after I left home I started packing on the weight due to my own poor choices. I can't see a parent letting their child do that. Generally speaking, I would guess that it is due to the parents laziness at preparing real food for their kids, or their income level where they simply can't afford real food.

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness

Usually these are poor people. There is a lot more going on than just bad food choices. Too much to type about on an internet forum. There are seveal documentaries dedicated to the topic.

At the end of the day. The powers that be, and America in general doesn't care about good health and nutrition. It is basically fighting a losing battle.

Until the Food Pyramid is corrected, nothing is going to change. And even then, it will take 1 to 2 generations to fix this.

Their income level seemed good, but I don't think they realized how much carbs were contributing to the issue when Dr Phil listed off the foods. He tried to make it seem like a 'normal kid' w a 'normal' metabolism' would be able to handle all that just fine. Seriously.......

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Their income level seemed good, but I don't think they realized how much carbs were contributing to the issue when Dr Phil listed off the foods. He tried to make it seem like a 'normal kid' w a 'normal' metabolism' would be able to handle all that just fine. Seriously.......

This is what the US government says an average size 8 year old should be eating. I got average size from here. https://www.babycenter.com/0_your-childs-size-and-growth-timeline_10357633.bc

5409f5fa091ae82b3a91f12abd1219aa.png

https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/

See the problem?

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

6 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

See the problem?

Wait. So you are saying the FDA and the food pyramid in specific might be just a little influenced by large farming special interests which push an 11/1 ratio of carbs to Protein? Never. Nope. They wouldn't do that. :)

There is a reason everyone is carb addicted. It is planned.

This documentary explains it very well. http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2012/s3547707.htm

When I was morbidly obese, about all I ate was carbs. Lots and lots of bad carbs (loaded with sugar and starch). It was very enlightening post surgery to see what an impact carbs had on my health. We are being brainwashed and encouraged to eat highly processed foods at every turn. What a shame! But big corporations have a lot invested in not changing things. Sad.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:41 AM, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Wait. So you are saying the FDA and the food pyramid in specific might be just a little influenced by large farming special interests which push an 11/1 ratio of carbs to Protein? Never. Nope. They wouldn't do that. :)

Wha?

On 5. Mai 2017 at 5:27 AM, BestDayEver said:

When I was morbidly obese, about all I ate was carbs. Lots and lots of bad carbs (loaded with sugar and starch).

And... fat?