Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling Eating at 8 Weeks

Today is May 3rd, 2017 and it has been about 8 weeks since my Gastric Bypass Surgery - losing weight feeling good - nothing smells or taste good and all cravings are gone! I am struggling eating even up to 500 calories a day. Getting most of my Protein and liquids via my Protein Shakes. I have lost almost 40 pounds however IS ANYONE ELSE having a hard time getting food down. I feel full or tight after about 4-6 tables spoons of Beans or food. I truly have no desire to eat at all and all -in-all I am eating a total of 6 ounces of food a day NOT including my shakes. Looking for advise or thoughts....

Yeah; enjoy it while it lasts! It's called the honeymoon period.

I'm 6.5 weeks out and generally get full on 3oz of food. At this point my surgeon wants me eating meals and moving away from the shakes. So I 'm wondering if you concentrate on eating instead of taking the shakes where you'll be. Shakes are filling and take up hours of the day. Experiment with not taking any shakes for a day or two and see where you're at. If you can't meet your Protein goal, by all means, go back on the shakes. Be willing to experiment is all.

Good luck!

I had mine June 12 and still cannot get in 4 oz per meal. So i eat what I can and then an hour or so later I may have an ounce of cheese or some type of Protein. The doctor said if I can't get it in, not to force it and try again the next day!

That was me at your stage. Why is that a problem? My surgeon was fine with it as long as I was meeting my Fluid and Protein goals. I didn't get above 600 calories till maybe 6 months out. I ran up to 10 miles a week and did 3-4 hours of yoga at that calorie level too.

Lost all my weight in a year and have kept it off for over three more.

9 hours ago, SleeveDreamer said:

I had mine June 12 and still cannot get in 4 oz per meal. So i eat what I can and then an hour or so later I may have an ounce of cheese or some type of Protein. The doctor said if I can't get it in, not to force it and try again the next day!

your meals should be 2oz a month out. not 4oz.

2 hours ago, JohnnyCakes said:

your meals should be 2oz a month out. not 4oz.

My NUT started me at 4 oz each meal starting with soft foods until the 24th. She does not have a pureed stage. Went right from full liquids to soft. Then I go up to 6 oz on 7/24. Sometimes I can get 4 oz in depending on what I am eating. Like I said if I can't get it in all at once, spread out throughout the day as long as I don't go over 12 oz a day right now. Then next week when I start 6 oz with regular food, I cut out my afternoon Protein Drink. She said for the first week on regular, I will probably be only able to do 4, but then a couple hours later have a piece of cheese. I remember this when I was sleeved and I didn't have any problem with regular foods. Yesterday I had a great dqy and got 4 oz in at all three meals.

Edited by SleeveDreamer

10 hours ago, jess9395 said:

That was me at your stage. Why is that a problem? My surgeon was fine with it as long as I was meeting my Fluid and Protein goals. I didn't get above 600 calories till maybe 6 months out. I ran up to 10 miles a week and did 3-4 hours of yoga at that calorie level too.

Lost all my weight in a year and have kept it off for over three more.

It's not a problem. He just said if I need to spread it out, eat Protein when I do.

Edited by SleeveDreamer