Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone here not need this (yet)?

@OutsideMatchInside - I love love LOVE how you phrased it like that. Suddenly all of my dumb fears are alleviated by you pretty much rephrasing the question . Thank you! :D

21 minutes ago, Introversion said:

I concur. The duodenal switch is usually reserved for the super-morbidly obese (BMI 50 or greater) with severe metabolic disease processes (e.g., grossly uncontrolled diabetes).

I personally would not undergo a duodenal switch unless I had in excess of 200+ pounds to lose and suffered from some health problem that deranged my metabolic rate such as poorly controlled diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc.

With 130 pounds to lose and no health problems or comorbidities, I would opt for a sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass. I personally had the sleeve and lost 100+ pounds without the malabsorption issues associated with the bypass or duodenal switch. Your mileage may vary. Good luck to you.

I've got almost 200 pounds to lose, and even then, I would not get the DS unless i absolutely had to. I was also not even informed that this was an option for me in Alberta, so they might not do it yet, or it might be reserved for the worst-of-the-worst.

I think in general they try to avoid anything that's:

- Going to permanently alter ones way of life (large-adjustment difficulties could be physiologically and psychologically damaging)

- Add more risk to a surgery (unless w/risk assessment they find the risk to be worth it.. like in cancer treatment for example where less cautious approach is necessary)

I'm not a doctor, but from what you say it doesn't seem like you have a justification for a DS yet. I would maybe get second and third opinions and see if perhaps you can get VSG instead. Months ago had 180 pounds to drop, with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes and liver stage 3 fibrosis (along with a bp of 170/115 and RHR of 100-110). I still would not want a DS. Someone without those issues, I can't wrap my mind around why they'd need a DS other than to put more money in a surgeons pocket.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

3 hours ago, jessgnc said:

I've mentioned on here before that I'm in perfect health - just 130lbs overweight!

I know exactly what you are going through, as I have had the same thoughts throughout the pre-op process. However, I have come to accept the harsh reality is that being 100+ pounds overweight is not healthy in its own respect. It doesn't matter that my bloodwork is perfect and I am free of hypertension and diabetes. Carrying this extra weight is a real medical issue. Further, if I could have remedied this myself, I would have by now.

3 hours ago, jessgnc said:

So I guess the question is - are there any other people on here, pre or post op who got the DS when they were still healthy?

Is there a reason that the DS was recommended for you over the sleeve or other procedure?
ETA: never mind, I see your response to this question above. Honestly, I'd get a second opinion. Just because your surgeon prefers the DS, generically speaking, doesn't mean it would be the best fit (or even necessary) for you.

Edited by Ms. Brightside

56 minutes ago, Ms. Brightside said:

Carrying this extra weight is a real medical issue. Further, if I could have remedied this myself, I would have by now.

This! I tried everything before surgery. Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, DASH, adding cardio, weights, and eventually tried to practice mindful eating. All of these worked, for a few months. But then my biology would win and I'd start overeating. It's astounding the lengths our bodies will go to keep us fat.

I chose the lap band for a variety of reasons: first, it was the lowest risk of major complications (albeit highest in minor complications but the pros outweighed the cons in my opinion). I have a 2 year old and I was terrified of leaving him without one parent if I had a fatal complication. Second, it was the least extreme option. I started with 160 pounds of excess weight and yes, that is a lot, but like you I was otherwise healthy and felt good but I knew I was running on borrowed time (someone else mentioned that too). I know I have to lose weight to live a healthy life and I wanted to try something that didn't completely alter my anatomy. I also like that it's adjustable (I can get a fill if I "get used to" the restriction I have now) or I can have all the Fluid removed if there was a medical emergency.

It works great for me. Losing weight nice and steady again after my recent fill and my hunger is greatly diminished. It's a great tool for folks who are volume eaters and like ALL foods and not just carbs. I always ate a balanced diet before surgery (lots of fresh produce, Protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, and also plenty of treats). It's just that I ate way too much. Big platters of food and not the little salad plate I eat off of now.

I would also urge you to consider a second opinion. My third (and final) reason for choosing a lap band is feeling secure in the knowledge that I can get a revision in the future if necessary. Selecting the least extreme option gives me choices for the future in case the band eventually fails. I'd probably do the VSG next if I had to have my band removed. But yes, DS is the "nuclear option" of WLS so I would reconsider it, personally.

I would also suggest watching YouTube videos of people who have had the procedure done. Are you able to stick to the strict pill regimine after the procedure? I saw a lady who had the ds and she ended up in the hospital from malnourishment several times AND she was on her Vitamins. Not to say other WLS procedures don't carry risks, but the DS is extreme. I second possibly getting a second opinion.

Just playing devil's advocate, would your surgeon go for a sleeve first, then finish the switch later if you needed it still?

Granted, the revision isn't going to lose as much as the virgin procedure, but you could have a plan like.. if you start regaining and get to 30lbs that you'll do the revision then.

2 hours ago, jessgnc said:

My BMI is 50.1 I'm short.

Just want to add that before my surgery my bmi was 48 or 49 because I'm 4"11 it's now down to 43 after 7 weeks.

1 hour ago, Deactivatedfatgal said:

I would also suggest watching YouTube videos of people who have had the procedure done. Are you able to stick to the strict pill regimine after the procedure? I saw a lady who had the ds and she ended up in the hospital from malnourishment several times AND she was on her Vitamins. Not to say other WLS procedures don't carry risks, but the DS is extreme. I second possibly getting a second opinion.

. I've done hundreds of hours of research on all of the different surgeries and what kind of commitment it'll be. I'm okay with Vitamins for life and aware that this is the case.

4 minutes ago, jessgnc said:

. I've done hundreds of hours of research on all of the different surgeries and what kind of commitment it'll be. I'm okay with Vitamins for life and aware that this is the case.

And to that I say best of luck to you! :) you have your mind made up & sound confident in your decision. I look forward to your journey!

I had the sleeve done two weeks ago, and I had nothing wrong with me, other than obesity. I knew I was a ticking time bomb, and wanted to get my weight under control before any major issues arrived.

5 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

No one that responded actually read what OP wrote, she even bolded her question and still ... A bunch of generic responses about WLS not her specific surgery which is what she asked about. :lol::57_cry::lol:

@jessgnc

I think the DS is extreme to lose 130 pounds. Why did they recommend DS and not the Sleeve? My Dr didn't want to me as a young person to have to deal with a life time of malabsorption and the malabsorption with the DS is extreme, a lot more than RNY. So unless they havea good medical reason, not just that it has better weight loss, I would decline and ask for the sleeve or switch Drs.

ETA:

Yes, DS is definitely the nuke option. I got the sleeve knowing if I didn't lose enough with it, I had a lot more to lose than you, that I could get the DS down the road. If I regained in my 50s or 60s, I could revise to DS down the road. If you go this route, later down the road, you have no where else to go, this is it. I don't believe revisions are the solution to WLS regain, but if you go down this path, this is your one shot. I've lost over 180 pounds with my Sleeve. I don't see DS in my future.

@OutsideMatchInside I totally agree my doctor preferred the sleeve over DS and he stated it would only be done as an option which means only if the couldn't do the sleeve. And that is a big only, same with the gallbladder and hernia only if there is a problem.

To answer what I feel is your real underlying question and not related to the type of surgery you're getting, yes, I have a slightly elevated A1C and cholesterol, but both of those are managble on my own, other than that I'm "healthy​" but 250lbs over weight. Let me tell you I have been thinking on this for a few years and I'm not going to go into my 30s at this size. I'm 27 and tired of being ~470lbs so I'm fixing this, I'm fixing me, I should be having RNY on the 19th of this month and I won't look back on my decision.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am like you, no diabetes not even close, low cholesteole, low blood pressure and so on. I am actually having the RNY and have zero doubt, but it took me some years to get to that point. I am done, I know for sure I can't do this without this help. I am sick and tired of fighting my body and trying over and over again with little results. Oh I forgot, I do have one thing but it is not caused by obesity, I have a hypothyroidism. And that made everything even harder. I want to do this BEFORE I start having problems, because believe me they will come here sooner or later. And btw I am exactly the same height as you and I am 268lb (122kg) :) I am literally about explode with excitement for my surgery wich will be 13th june. :)

Sorry I can't answer anything about the DS, the DS is not done at all in my country.

Edited by Big2Tiny

I was in your shoes. I was the "healthiest" obese person. If I continued on the path I was on I would have developed all those things within a year. So I decided surgery would help me. As I sat in the waiting room hooked up to all the pre op ivs, I turned to my family member and said if they don't take me in the next hour we are outta here because the second guesses kicked in. Almost a year later I am very happy I did the surgery. It's not easy some days. I miss some of my old habits but I love my new habits and healthier Active life :-)

@jessgnc

It looks like I'm late to the party and you are already feeling better about your decision. You've researched extensively and have been prepared for the changes that will come with this surgery. Trust in your decision. Think of it as a preventative to having problems later in life.

I'm 48 and have struggled with my weight most of my life, but really ballooned into morbid obesity after my third child 17 years ago. I can tell you that I wish I would have taken this more drastic step to lose weight years ago, because looking back I have so many regrets. I wasn't as social as I like to be because my self confidence was terrible. I didn't do fun things with my kids but stayed on the sidelines watching everyone else have fun riding amusement park rides because I was afraid I wouldn't fit in the seat. I didn't want to travel by plane unless I had to because of the tiny seats, the looks I would get, and the embarrassment of needing a seatbelt extender. I didn't want to be in pictures with everyone else because I couldn't stand to look at myself, so now when we look back at memories, it's like I wasn't even there. I wasted some of the best years of my life being obese, and I will never get that back. It hurts.

So imho, you are investing in your future. A future of health and happiness and many adventures you might not have had opportunity to enjoy if not for taking this step. Much love to you my friend!