Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people here have had or are having bariatric surgery to help with chronic pain? I have 3 bulging discs in my back and severe sciatica. I have been to several surgeons and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Also my knees are shot (at least it feels like it) My GP has been talking to me about this surgery for the past couple of years because of my pain. I have very little quality of life right now. I can't stand more than a minute or 2 or walk 15 or 20 steps without being in horrible pain. I use a walker sometimes but when you are shopping it just gets in the way. i shop almost exclusively at stores that have scooters to ride in and sometimes if my best friend is with me she will push me in a wheelchair. There are a lot of things that i love to do that i haven't been able to do for over a couple of years now. My GP said that she has had several patients that were completely (or almost) wheelchair bound and a couple that were actually addicted to pain killers. They had the surgery and they are up and about now. If you've had the surgery for this purpose, has it helped? I'm praying that it will help me.

I had VSG on 8/23/16. I am looking at replacing both knees within the next 5-7 years. I have almost no cartilage in both knees and pre-surgery was using opiods to manage pain -- taking Vicodin usually once per day. I'm down 86 pounds and while my knees aren't like new, they are tremendously better. I can count on one hand how many times I've had to use the Vicodin since my surgery. My pain is mostly controlled with meloxicam (a COX-2 inhibitor that is easier on the stomach than NSAIDs - my ortho and my bariatric surgeon discussed what would be best.)

I am able to be so much more active -- I foil fence four hours a week and work out at the gym another 2 hours a week with nothing more than sore muscles from working out.

I can't speak for your back issues (I've never had back problems) but as to your knees, every pound you lose will translate to 5-7 pounds less stress on your knees.

Best of luck.

Hi, I have Fibromylgia, Osteo arthur, Psoratic Arthur and the beginnings of Rhematoid arthur. I had back surgery in 2005, which had helped oh so much. I started having terrible knee problems. My PCP told me that it was arthritis. When I ask him why I didn't have problems before my weight loss, he told me that I would have been in a wheelchair without losing my weight. Now I'm not saying all of my ailments are gone NOPE I still have my off days but I have learned that I have to push right thru them!! I feel so much better!! Not that I am off all of my paoin meds but I use FENTYNOL Patches. Which are so much better than VICODIN or METHEDONE!! Which I was on previous to my WLS!!! I was on TOXIC amounts of them!! One thing for sure after all of the DR.s telling me that exercise is where it is at. I always said I am damned if I do or if I don't because during my exercise yes I do hurt but you know what those DR'S are right!! It is where it is at!! Good Luck on your weight loss surgery.

Pain management was a big part of it for me. Both of my knees are shot, my mid-lower back has been getting steadily worse since an injury 3 years ago, I have fibromyalgia, AND osteoarthritis. Plus a tendency toward nausea.

So far, my back isn't as limiting as it has been. It still hurts, but that's more manageable. My knees are also improving noticeably.

No improvement to fibro or arthritis. Possible improvement to depression.

Nausea is worse now.

So this is 5-6 weeks. Your pain sounds like the kind WLS can really help.

Go for it!

Pain management is a factor in my decision. I have several herniated discs in my back and neck, had surgery to fix one of them, but still can't do all I would like to do. I used to live on Ibuprofen, but since I lost kidney function in one kidney a couple years ago, I can't take it any more, so I've had to use Tylenol and ice/heat therapy, and I do strengthening exercised with bands.

Several years ago, I lost 90 lbs doing weight watchers and working out like crazy. I was still overweight, but I felt really good, I had more energy, and my back pain was significantly decreased. I have since gained back half of what I lost, and I can tell you carrying around the extra pounds is very noticeable and I can feel it with everything I do. I am looking forward to having less pain again when I get these extra pounds off for good!

I had to see my dr this morning to get a prescription for steroids because my sciatica is so bad i'm almost laid up with it. i know i can't take them all the time but she said that with my surgery so close - 3 to 4 months out - that it wouldn't hurt me. so i can't wait to get to the pharmacy after work to pick them up. i'm so hoping that this surgery does all it says it will so i can have a life again. i'm glad that it has helped you ladies out. it's very encouraging. thanks for responding. your experience with a decrease in pain is very encouraging.

I had looked into WLS for years but was too scared to do it until I ended up on my back in bed for over a week with severe back and sciatica pain from 3 pinched nerves due to collapsed discs. That did it for me! I got WLS done within 2 months of that incident. I am only down 40 lbs so far but am definitely feeling the difference on my back and knees. I'm wondering if you ended up getting the surgery and how you and your back and knees are doing now?

Still a little early for a definate answer, but I believe things are marginally better with my knees, the 2 replacement, only 85% as good as the oringal, but I am still able,to be walking, without surgery,probably not.

I’m prepping for DS surgery so I can get both knees replaced... both are bone on bone. Orthopedic dr won’t do anything til I’m under 300 (275 preferred) and get skin removed... insurance doesn’t allow plastic surgery til 18 months to 2 yrs post op and weight loss plateau... sooo it’s a long journey but we will make it!

ScottH611, I just want to wish you a great surgery now, a great surgery further ahead, I have two knee replacements myself, one in 14 one in 17, wasn't brave enough to have them at,once. Remember to,do,your PT, it does make a difference.😝🎃😝

When I was 220, I had one knee replaced that was bone on bone. I couldn't stand for longer than 15 minutes without having aching pain. It got so that I could barely walk from my office to the copy room. Two years after I had my knee replaced, I had the DS. Now I'm down 80 pounds and feel like a new person. Everything is so much easier. I can feel my other knee wearing down, so I know in a few years I will need to replace it because the damage has been done, but I still don't have as much pain in my feet, hips, and knees as when I had the weight on. The DS isn't done as much as the sleeve or gastric bypass, but I'm very happy with the results. Maintenance has been easier than I thought and I don't feel deprived.

I have bone spurs and disc bulges in my neck and shoulder rotator cuff tears and fibromyalgia. This surgery I was told by doctors is supposed to be the magic bullet and take away a bunch of my issues. Not sure how it can help my neck and sholder? I am 6 days post-op and my shoulder has been screaming with pain. Was given tylenlol 3 and tramadol but the pain cuts through this. I have had issues with my Walmart pharmacy just to get the tylenlol 3 that was prescribed to me. They treat me like a junkie and ask a million questions as I was on T3 pills pre-surgery and then prescribed the liquid T3 after. Has anyone else had problems with Walmart Pharmacy and getting your pain medications? Tylenlol 3 is not a very strong pill and yet they treat it like it is heroin. I am so frustrated to have to get the 3rd degree for something my doctor prescribed. Am I the only one that's had any issues?

Coexister - I’m so sorry you’re having a lot of post-op pain. Not sure if you were informed about this but it is common to have shoulder pain after laparoscopic surgery because that is where the CO2 gas, that was inserted in your abdominal cavity during surgery, goes afterwards. The gas likes to settle into the shoulder area and the best way to get rid of it and relieve the pain is by walking a lot and time. I hope by now you’re feeling better. All the best.

By the way, I don’t shop at Walmart so I can’t comment on their pharmacy policies or roadblocks with fulfilling pain medicine prescriptions. I get my prescriptions from Walgreens and have not had any trouble with filling pain medicine RXs.