Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery after Total Thyroidectomy/ Thyroid Cancer

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone in the community has undergone gastric bypass surgery after having their thyroid totally removed? I cannot seem to find much information on the efficacy of weight loss surgery in a patient that has had a complete removal and now solely relies on synthroid for thyroid function. I initially wanted VSG, but the more I think about it I'm leaning towards RNY. I have my final surgery approval appointment on may 17th and I have to basically tell the surgeon what I want to do. Any help would be amazing!!

Hi DC6064. I haven't had my thyroid removed but have had other surgery. I have had gastric bypass 10 weeks ago, but I also have M.E./CFIDS, lupus and depression. I don't want to sound negative, but It is hard going, especially energy wise. I had a severe lack of energy for the last 22 years, but this took it to a whole new level. I am also on throyxine.

I would discuss your concerns with the surgeon, and if you don't feel that you have your questions answered, postpone the date of surgery. I found it almost impossible to get information about my surgery and various illnesses. My General practitioner didn't know anything about bariatric surgery and the group of health professionals at the weight loss clinic didn't know anything about Lupus, CFIDS, etc and surgery.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. I would just get as much information as you can, especially independent of your weight loss clinic. All the best.

I had my thyroid removed 3/2104 and RNY 4/2015. I've lost and kept off 145#. My thyroid level has been normal by taking synthroid since the removal. Weight loss has not been a problem.
I didn't have thyroid cancer though- I had Graves' disease.

I had my thyroid removed 3/2104 and RNY 4/2015. I've lost and kept off 145#. My thyroid level has been normal by taking synthroid since the removal. Weight loss has not been a problem.
I didn't have thyroid cancer though- I had Graves' disease.

Thank you!! It's great to know that you have had success!! My Endo said that in his opinion RNY is my best option given the circumstance, but I haven't been able to connect with others who have a similar situation in order to get first hand information.

Hi, I also have had my thyroid removed and on synth riot the rest of my life like you, but I had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery in August 2016. I am almost down 80 pounds. I had no issues with the surgery and followed all Drs orders. I am not sure if this will help you with your decision, but I only wanted the VSG and I am doing well.

While I have not had my thyroid removed, I have had hypothyroidism since 2005. I have taken Synthroid for nearly 12 years as my sole source of thyroid hormone replacement.

I did have the VSG (gastric sleeve) rather than gastric bypass; however, I lost 100+ pounds and attained my goal weight. Most importantly, I have been maintaining that newer, lower body weight almost effortlessly with a daily intake of about 2000 calories per day combined with exercise.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 papillary thyroid cancer April of 2012. Total thyroidectomy of course. In 2013 it spread to my lymph nodes and I had a neck dissection on the right side.

I have done nothing but gained weight since my surgery. It is almost impossible to lose weight for me now. My surgery date is July 3rd and I am so excited I cannot stand it!

Doctor says should be no problem getting to my goal weight. Let's keep in touch and share our progress ! I Am brand new to this group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

I was diagnosed with stage 3 papillary thyroid cancer April of 2012. Total thyroidectomy of course. In 2013 it spread to my lymph nodes and I had a neck dissection on the right side.

I have done nothing but gained weight since my surgery. It is almost impossible to lose weight for me now. My surgery date is July 3rd and I am so excited I cannot stand it!

Doctor says should be no problem getting to my goal weight. Let's keep in touch and share our progress ! I Am brand new to this group.

We should! My surgery date has been bumped up a day to June 5th!! I finally decided on RNY vs VSG because I already have GERD so I'm hoping to save myself a revision down the line. I am also new to the group sort of[emoji23] I have kinda read everyone else's posts but I don't participate much and when I do I haven't gotten that much help. Oh well! I'm glad someone that has gone through similar is on the journey as well! I was diagnosed in July of 2014, 5 months after having our one and only child. Actually the biopsy came back as inconclusive so I had surgery September 2014,and they originally decided to do a right lobectomy where I had a large nodule. The on the spot pathology during surgery came back positive for papillary carcinoma, so they ended up removing the entire thing. My lymph nodes had cancerous tissue wrapped around them so they decided it best to undergo RAI after I healed in order to kill off the remaining thyroid tissue. I have been cancer free since and just had my first real big cancer screen and there is no sign of any reoccurrence. After talking with my Endo he also said that RNY would probably be my best option. I started the process for WLS in November 2016, and was on track for surgery end of January beginning of February, but I have been having Iron deficiency issues, needless to say it took forever to get fixed and now I'm on the right track so I am scheduled, scared out of my mind, and overall kind of all over the place.

Cool. I will have to figure out how to private message so I don't off topic the thread. Excited to meet someone with very similar circumstances. Can't wait to get to know this group much better