Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is it even possible to gain wt after this?

hi I'm a newbie and I was sleeved 5/20/17. I hear about people on here who have expressed concerns about eating too much and gaining weight post sleeve. How is this even possible? I will be in week 7 this monday and I can only eat a couple bites of food, even if I feel hungry. My concern is that I will never eat properly again, the only thing that doesn't seem to bother me is Soup and some fruits. l like the weight loss but I am having regrets, I don't even need to eat a bunch of junk to be happy, even eating a salad or a piece of grilled chicken would be nice, but it makes my stomach hurt, almost everything irritakes my stomach (not excruciating pain, just irritated and queasy). Also nothing even tastes good anymore. Eating is just a chore. I see the people on that show my 600lb Life who gain regain up to 20lbs in a month, and it blows my mind how they can have this surgery and possibly eat that much and not kill themselves.

Will it always be this way? Why are people who are at my stage tolerating so many more things, am I normal or do you think my stomach is damaged now? Again, I don't wanna eat garbage.....I just want to eat healthy and not feel sick afterwards 😟

You are still new to this. There are ways to to gain weight. Carbs are very easy to get down compared to chicken etc. Believe me it can be done.

I'm almost 3 years out and I still have some days where I say why did I do this and I am way under goal. Every day is a choice of eating the right foods. Not for nutrition, but to make my sleeve happy.

I eat too much or I eat too fast and I've made myself miserable for hours.

I eat something I know is too sweet and I get nauseous. I know it. I do it. Just a bite.

But reading your post reminds me of my journey. I had so many days thinking I wasn't normal. Even posting here, I felt so out of place. But it did pass. And I did find the things that kind of worked for me.

You will work through it. You will look at this post and say oh the Soup and fruit days. I remember those.

I enjoy most everything in moderation. I have great restriction and I only hurt myself when I overdo it !!! It is MY choices that make my days go one way or the other. Just go with what your sleeve tells you.

Good luck!!

@paintmysleep

Well if you don't weigh your food and track it, really easy long term. A lot of people assume the restriction they have when their stomach is swollen and they are healing (like you right now), is the restriction they will always have. Except that isn't real restriction that is just healing.

I don't know why you think your 10 day old new stomach should be able to eat all those things. I still struggle with grilled chicken, it is too dry and basically one of the worst things to eat. You want moist meats, dry meats are pure hell.

Even with your restriction OP, if you want to you could get a 900 calorie large shake from Steak N Shake and down it.

It is easy to eat around your sleeve long term. And lots people think they can eat how they did before surgery just in smaller quantities and still lose. The only problem with that is, if your pre-op diet was carb heavy and and you are carb sensitive (everyone isn't bust most people are since the carbs we eat now are so fake), you will pack the pounds on.

There are people are had surgery around the same time as me or shortly after me that are dealing with regain and I am like...

Tf8A1QB.png

It seems completely impossible to me and illogical that someone not even 2 years from surgery is already dealing with regain, but then you find out they aren't tracking and are eating crap.

It is easy to regain, it is even easier to never get to goal. Getting to goal or close too it as soon as possible is the best motivation to fight to keep your weight. It seems like the people that never get to goal or close to it just give up and fall all the way off the wagon.

I know of someone who was sleeved at 395 pounds on surgery day, lost 140 pounds during the first post-op year, then proceeded to regain it all plus more in the second year by eating copious amounts of slider foods. She is now exactly 400 pounds.

I am two years out and have maintained my 100+ pound weight loss with decent food choices and exercise. However, I know I could easily regain everything if I resort to grazing on too many sliders. It is amazingly easy to eat around a bariatric surgery after one year out: just eat a slice of pizza every 45 to 60 minutes, and in a few hours you will finish the entire pizza.

Slider foods, a.k.a. slurry foods, are the root of most regain problems in the weight loss surgery community. I have mentioned previously that the road to weight regain is paved with Pringles, Fritos, ice cream, fast food milkshakes, Doritos, chips Ahoy, Oreo Cookies, bread rolls, donuts, Lays potato chips, crackers, and popcorn. Since slider foods do not create that feeling of fullness or satiety in a sleeve, a sleeved person can eat unlimited amounts of chips and cookies. The result is fast weight gain.

A sleever can eat a dozen glazed donuts and never feel full. Guess what? That dozen contained more than 2400 calories and you are still hungry for more. However, you cannot eat a dozen turkey burgers because you will feel full after eating one. The one turkey burger had 250 calories at the most.

My capacity has tripled since those early days. At a month post-op I had no appetite and could eat maybe 3 ounces at the most before feeling stuffed. At two years out I can eat 8 to 9 ounces comfortably. My appetite returned full force during the 8th and 9th month post-op. At this stage in the game, it is all about good food choices for me.

30 minutes ago, Introversion said:

A sleever can eat a dozen glazed donuts and never feel full. Guess what? That dozen contained more than 2400 calories and you are still hungry for more. However, you cannot eat a dozen turkey burgers because you will feel full after eating one. The one turkey burger had 250 calories at the most.

^^^^^^^ This is so important. I don't think people realize this, especially pre-ops and newbs. Post 6 months, you are all healed, probably not dumping at all if you ever dumped (this applies to RNY too), and you can eat endless amounts of crap. It will slide right through, no restriction.

Not only will it be easy to eat, but if you are a food addict, the ability to finally be able to consume large amounts of food again will be addictive and thrilling.

It is so incredibly easy to regain, which is why when you have the most support from your sleeve in months 1-6 you need to be die hard in forming your habits. Being super strict early on means later on you have so many good habits that they are just natural to you and you don't have to think about them. It makes choosing correctly later on easy. Tracking your food doesn't seem like a chore, it is just a normal thing you do.

People are not regaining on dense Protein. They are regaining on all the easy trash foods. I could probably eat 8 ounces of meat if it was in a sauce or I grazed. I can eat 6, but when I do I am uncomfortable for hours. 4 ounces is still the most comfortable amount of dense protein. I am satisfied but not overly full.

Thank u for this post! I'm at month 5, down 47 lbs since surgery and notice I can eat chips and half a cupcake without getting sick. It scares me. I have some emotional eating issues and I'm struggling to stay the course get to goal (25-30lbs more to go) and remain successful. I could cry right now. It's been a rough few days and I'm emotionally weak. Gonna go drink some Water too because I'm slightly dehydrated. Maybe that's what's causing my moodiness and depression?

Thank u for this post! I'm at month 5, down 47 lbs since surgery and notice I can eat chips and half a cupcake without getting sick. It scares me. I have some emotional eating issues and I'm struggling to stay the course get to goal (25-30lbs more to go) and remain successful. I could cry right now. It's been a rough few days and I'm emotionally weak. Gonna go drink some Water too because I'm slightly dehydrated. Maybe that's what's causing my moodiness and depression?

Don't forget with the weight loss comes the mood swings as the hormones that were in the fat get dumped back into your body. Think the emotional roller coaster is typical, certainly was for me. Also dehydration does really affect you and after the surgery it's so easy to forget about drinking water.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using BariatricPal mobile app