Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Revision Denials - Hired Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy

Hello!

I had lap-band installed in April 2009. Lost about 50 lbs total and have since gained back about 30. So net loss = 20 lbs. That's okay, though, because that weight was the difference between being mobile or not (weight at time of surgery was 382 - I'm now in the 358-363 range). The advice I got after the band was not to eat rice, bread or Pasta for 6 months after surgery and to go in for periodic fills of the band. I had 3 fills before losing my job, my insurance, and eventually my home to foreclosure.

Fast forward to October 2015. I'm diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I immediately look into getting a revision. While I start seeing a nutritionist and taking all the vitamins/supplements and learning to eat Protein first and 3 meals a day, I'm consequently diagnosed with Severe Obstructive sleep Apnea. Approximately 6 months later, I'm diagnosed with GERD. The local surgeon in my small town was requiring that I lose 40+ lbs before he'd qualify me for surgery and was pushing the Sleeve on me (even though I knew By-Pass was the best route).

After struggling to lose (I gained about 9 lbs in the 6 months under that nutritionist), I chose a different surgeon. This one the head of his department and very experienced bypass surgeon. Started seeing a new nutritionist (May 2016) and slowing started losing weight - about 1 pound a month. He only required I lose 15 lbs which was a MUCH more achievable goal in my eyes. I finally qualified in October 2016.

Blue Cross Blue Shield declined my request for coverage on 11/30/2016. My surgeon did a peer-to-peer review on 2/1/2017 and I was declined after that as well. After hearing from someone in a Facebook revision support group, I decided to look into Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy. I spoke with Kelley Brown Lindstrom earlier today and just sent over my records and payment. I'm paying for the expedited service (they get my file together and submit it within 3 days). So far my impression has been very favorable. Kelley has been knowledgeable and supportive and I'm impressed with her breadth of experience with different insurance companies. For the first time in a very long time I'm hopeful that I could have this revision sometime this year!

Anyway, I'll keep people posted as to how it is working with them. Wish me luck!

You did the right thing..

I was very happy with Kelley, and you got it...... I was approved after 2 denials.

Am 4 months post op and I lost over 75 Lbs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok. So, I had received prior approval from my insurance to get my band removed.
That was done Feb 8 as there was medical necessity. My insurance is now denying payment for the surgery I had because they didn't receive a referral from my 'primary care clinic'. I had been dealing with my bariatric doctor and my surgeon regarding the issue...why go back to my primary care clinic?
I sent in for appeal and it is denied again.
I can't afford to pay $18,000 that it cost to remove my band.

Back in 2010-2011 I was denied twice for my band. Lindstrom helped with my appeals and I was finally approved. Just got my approval for revision without assistance which was shocking to me but I'm forever grateful for Lindstrom for their help back then.

It had to go to external review but I'm now APPROVED for revision from Band to RNY!!!! I can't say enough positive things about Kelley & Walter Lindstrom at Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy. If you find yourself stuck with denials from insurance companies, I highly recommend them!

On 9/5/2017 at 12:50 PM, Taunter said:

It had to go to external review but I'm now APPROVED for revision from Band to RNY!!!! I can't say enough positive things about Kelley & Walter Lindstrom at Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy. If you find yourself stuck with denials from insurance companies, I highly recommend them!

Is there anyway I could private message you about this!

Of course!