Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino

I noticed many of my friends on Facebook and Instagram posting pics of the new Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino. The Connecticut Health Department pointed out of their official Facebook account that the Unicorn Frap contains more than double the suggested sugar intake by the American Heart Association.

What are your thoughts on Starbucks promoting a drink which has excessive amounts of sugar and calories?

Personally, I feel that it's irresponsible advertising. We are dealing with a growing Obesity problem around the entire world. Diabetes is running rampant. Am I overreacting? I didn't post my personal feelings because I'd never want anyone to feel that I'm judging their choices.

frapicon.jpg

It scares me to see young people sucking these down on the regular with no concern. I saw two teens walking to my boys' school last week with venti fraps in hand (one was unicorn one was caramel). Breakfast of champions? I think not!!

I don't like sweet sugary drinks so there's no way I'd even try it. Most people don't pay attention to nutritional eerrr....un-nutritional facts so it's scary to know that many will be pumping the case of obesity and diabetes in their bodies. Not cool Starbucks.

I think it was a novelty type fun drink that could have been made with half of the sugars...

I think we all may have had more fun with listening to the "barista unicorn rant" that went viral, rather than waiting in a rediculously long line for the drink we grown ups would have felt guilty about as we gulped down this sparkley fruity fake coffee...lol

🙈🙉🙊

Edited by Mrs.W

It has almost the same sugar as 16 ounces of Coca Cola and a lot of other things (starbucks 59, coke 52).

Unhealthy sugar filled foods and drinks are pushed on people every day.

This drink is just an easy target.

Almost everyone I know that has tried said they would never have another one.

All those Frappucinos are full of sugar, especially all the creme based ones like this one. Everyone knows, everyone ignores it. I don't get why everyone is freaking out now.

This Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino topic got me all heated up and inspired so I decided to write a quick article on it at the Weight Loss Surgery magazine!

4 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

What are your thoughts on Starbucks promoting a drink which has excessive amounts of sugar and calories?

Just another company out of countless others trying to sell a new product for profit. Not better or worse than other advertisement.

Personally, I feel that it's irresponsible advertising. We are dealing with a growing Obesity problem around the entire world. Diabetes is running rampant. Am I overreacting?

I don't know if you're overreacting. I'd like to see a lot of existing advertisements gone myself (out of the pure egoistic reason that it gets on my nerves) so I hear you.

From another perspective I don't see why you're so worked up about this particular advertisement. It's just one single more questionable product that is advertised to maximize profit. Advertisement is not about ethics or responsibility. Otherwise we wouldn't have advertisement that promotes tobacco, alcohol, big gas guzzling cars, foods that come out of factory farming etc. - It's about profit and money only.

What I consider much worse is when products are advertised as "healthy" when in fact they're anything but.

1 minute ago, summerset said:

What I consider much worse is when products are advertised as "healthy" when in fact they're anything but.

Good point, agreed!

I love drinks frappuccino from Starbucks and Barnes&Nobles but before gastric bypass surgery I drink Frappuccino include s'mores,strawberry&creme,etc

THEY NOW I'm chosen no longer drinking frappuccino because of my surgery and I'm learn that frappuccino got more sugar too much for me..

I'm in agreement, even though I'm a Starbucks fan. Perhaps they feel they must compete with McDonald's and all the other places that offer ice-cream style drinks, but really all these food companies are enablers. Sure, they can say they don't force you to buy them, and that's true, but it shows a lack of compassion for the obesity crisis, for sure.

Even their regular frappes contain almost a third of my allowed calories for a day, that's one meal with no nutritional benefits. Yikes!!!