Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice and Support Needed!

Sweet! I feel like I have a starting point now. [emoji3] Thanks so much everyone and congrats on all the weight loss! I'm so excited to get started and to finally get healthy!
[mention=314043]teacupnosaucer[/mention] I do not see a dietitian, but I have a nutritionist I can consult with. I think it might be a little hard with the Protein sources coming from dairy because I am very much so lactose intolerant. So thanks for suggesting that! I hadn't really thought about it and I'll ask her about it. Thanks for your awesome response. [emoji4]
Also congrats [mention=306768]Judymo[/mention]! That's so exciting I hope everything goes awesome! Looks like you've already done great so far (from your weight lost row)! [emoji4]

How has your summer been going so far? I too live in Utah, and will be going to Mexico for the surgery. My surgery date is August 21 with Dr. Lopez Corvala. I started a completely whole foods diet about 2 months ago, and ditching the regular beer I'd have after work with Water, or on occasion wine. I have tried to cut out all carbonation, because I knew it would be difficult for me, so I thought I might as well as get a start on it. Reading lots of forums, and hearing others experience has really helped me, and shown me more areas to research, or additional questions I should ask my doctor. I'm really trying to change the way I view food. For me, I'd tend to over eat, even when i was full because 1) I was stressed out 2) I felt I "needed" something to snack on 3)the food just tasted so good. Identifying these issues has really helped me. I often ask myself "Why am I eating this?" If its because I'm hungry, than great. If it is because Im stressed, or snaky, or it tastes good- I acknowledge the reason and try to deal with it. If its tastes good, great-have a bite and put the fork down, if Im stressed-take a 5 minute walk, if I'm snacky-I try to avoid Snacks, but I try to keep healthier snacks around because this one si tough for me. I'll snack on veggies with hummus, or pumpkin seeds, or occasionally corn nuts. Good luck to, these next few months are your time to focus on getting ready for the surgery. Please let me know how it goes.

I am lactose intolerant

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry, it posted too soon! Lol. I ment to say I am lactose intolerant as well and I use almond milk add an alternative. It has tons of Calcium. Start by replacing one or two meals with a Protein Shake. Get rid of the carbonated beverages and alcohol. That would be a great start! I am Nov 13 surgery so I'm right there with you.

Hey everyone! I should've updated this a bit back! Things have changed and I decided I am going to go back to school. So I actually changed my date and I was sleeved June 16th because if it would've been in October it would have been during school. So it's my 6th week out! Since the pre op diet I've lost 43 pounds but I've only lost 25 since surgery. I'm excited and finally feeling more normal and am able to workout and drink Water without hurting again! I think you guys are going to do awesome! Looking back I wish I would have prepared a little more actually! But with Protein Shakes the Premier Protein isn't actually too bad on my stomach so that's been nice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

10 minutes ago, specialkron said:

Hey everyone! I should've updated this a bit back! Things have changed and I decided I am going to go back to school. So I actually changed my date and I was sleeved June 16th because if it would've been in October it would have been during school. So it's my 6th week out! Since the pre op diet I've lost 43 pounds but I've only lost 25 since surgery. I'm excited and finally feeling more normal and am able to workout and drink Water without hurting again! I think you guys are going to do awesome! Looking back I wish I would have prepared a little more actually! But with Protein Shakes the Premier Protein isn't actually too bad on my stomach so that's been nice!

@specialkron Congrats on all of the hard work! You are doing great! How was Mexico? Did you feel like you packed everything you needed for the hospital? Let me know if you have any tips and tricks for traveling post op, as I will be traveling alone.

Keep up the hard work, good luck in school this fall!

@Cherbear416 (sorry I'm not sure how to quote on the app ha) Thank you so much! Mexico was really great! Most of the nurses spoke English and all of the doctors were great and Dr Illan is an amazing surgeon. It was an all around great experience!

I did feel like I packed enough even though I packed minimally in just a carry on. I just did a few changes of clothes (Not many though because I just stayed in my hospital gown) toiletries and didn't worry really about activities or anything. They did have Netflix at the hospital which was nice. :)

I can't think of what else I packed but if you're going with bariatric pal check your luggage because they give you sort of a gift bag of food and things. Also! Don't be like me there are things you can eat at the airport in San Diego after surgery. Apparently the restaurant saffron has chicken broth or you could Starbucks for hot Water and put in a boullion cube.

I didn't eat all day almost because I didn't know about it and we checked the luggage with food stuff on the way back. The way there though is easy with food though because you just can't eat ha. Hope that helps!

Also they do give you compression socks at least with bariatric pal so it's best to wear those on the plane after and walk during the plane ride to help circulation. Let me know if you have any other questions or message me! :)

Oh whoops I forgot you were going with a different company! They may still give you a gift bag I'm not sure but yeah I would say still check a bag anyway if you want souvenirs or anything. :)

20 hours ago, specialkron said:

Oh whoops I forgot you were going with a different company! They may still give you a gift bag I'm not sure but yeah I would say still check a bag anyway if you want souvenirs or anything. :)

@specialkron thanks so much for the advice. Because I am traveling alone, the plain ride home is one of the most nerve racking things I worry about. I'll plan on bringing a small bag for souvenirs. Did you pack bullion cubes, or did you pick some up down in MX? That would be an easy thing to pack in my purse. About how long after surgery were you back to feeling well? You are about six weeks out now, I've heard thats about the time people start to feel good again (although everyone is different). What have you found most challenging? Congrats on the weight loss! I am so excited to get down to MX this month! I'll continue to follow your progress.

@specialkron [mention=322401]cherbear416[/mention] I am a UT native too!! Now in the Midwest and miss my mountains like crazy. Thanks for the travel update and advice. Going to Mexico for surgery scares me but I'm excited for change and taking control of my health!!

Sweet! I feel like I have a starting point now. Thanks so much everyone and congrats on all the weight loss! I'm so excited to get started and to finally get healthy!
[mention=314043]teacupnosaucer[/mention] I do not see a dietitian, but I have a nutritionist I can consult with. I think it might be a little hard with the Protein sources coming from dairy because I am very much so lactose intolerant. So thanks for suggesting that! I hadn't really thought about it and I'll ask her about it. Thanks for your awesome response.
Also congrats [mention=306768]Judymo[/mention]! That's so exciting I hope everything goes awesome! Looks like you've already done great so far (from your weight lost row)!

I too am lactose intolerant. So I buy Bariatric Advantage Protein Powder and I use almond milk unsweetened or unsweetened coconut milk and make my own shakes. Add a little bit of stevia and they are delicious. replace two of your meals with that and eat no later than 30 minutes after you get up in the morning. good luck

15 hours ago, fastfoodaddictnomore said:

How are you doing another month out? I'll be scheduling surgery soon and will fly from Utah I haven't been on a plane in 22 years. I'm more nervous about fitting in the seat than actual surgery. Can you tell me who you flew with?

I was just down in Mexico a few weeks ago, and flew from Utah. I am feeling great, and so excited that I am off of the liquid only and on the pureed foods now. I flew with Southwest. You can call them, and ask them which flights are typically the least crowded. I paid the extra $30 for the Early Bird check in so that I could be towards the front of the line, and hopfully pick my very own seat. If you request wheel chair access/assistance, you will not need to pay the Early bird fee, and will be boarded first. If the plane isnt full, you can probably take the window and the middle seat. I am so excited for you to go and do this. Its exciting because things like, fitting in an airplane seat, will not be a worry for you in the future. Good luck!

Hey everyone! It's been a while! Things are going great and I'm finally feel normal.

I'm in school now so things have been kind of crazy hence the hiatus. But I can hands down say that this was the best decision I've ever made for myself.

Thanks everyone for all the support! I'm so glad I stumbled on Bariatric Pal a few years back and found Dr. Illan through this website. I'm still not to my goal but I feel so much better in my own skin.

@Cherbear416 How are you doing a month and a half out? :)

1 hour ago, specialkron said:

@Cherbear416 How are you doing a month and a half out? :)

Things are going great. I can eat pretty much "anything" again, which has been nice to be able to eat veggies. I missed them so much. Its so much easier to say, "No thanks" to the crap food I used to be tempted by. Going out to eat is still kind of tough with co-workers, but I've noticed people tend to pay more attention to themselves, than what I'm eating anyways. I feel really good. Its amazing what loosing 20 lbs will do for even just my comfort level. I haven't needed to go out and buy any new clothes yet, as I have apparently been stocking clothes that were too small for me in the back of my closet that I haven't worn for years. I got a groupon for Hot Yoga, and have been doing that about 2x a week, but I know I need to kick my work out schedule up a notch. Especially now that I am getting energy back. The first few weeks were hard, but the one month mark I really started to feel like myself again. I have been getting my Vitamin B injections, which has really helped with energy levels as well. I know I will have to work hard to meet my goal, but I am up for the challenge.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:12 PM, specialkron said:

@specialkron thanks so much for the advice. Because I am traveling alone, the plain ride home is one of the most nerve racking things I worry about. I'll plan on bringing a small bag for souvenirs. Did you pack bullion cubes, or did you pick some up down in MX? That would be an easy thing to pack in my purse. About how long after surgery were you back to feeling well? You are about six weeks out now, I've heard thats about the time people start to feel good again (although everyone is different). What have you found most challenging? Congrats on the weight loss! I am so excited to get down to MX this month! I'll continue to follow your progress.

1 hour ago, specialkron said:

Thanks everyone for all the support! I'm so glad I stumbled on Bariatric Pal a few years back and found Dr. Illan through this website. I'm still not to my goal but I feel so much better in my own skin.

Good luck with school this semester! Life gets crazy, thanks so much for checking in! So happy to hear you feel better in your own skin. It makes me soo happy to hear that.