Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve Wednesday, April 19th. My pain meds aren't working and make me unable to sleep. When I drink it feels as if it's stopping just before it goes down into my stomach. Then I feel it go down and I have pain and rumbling when it gets into my stomach. Is this normal? How can you get rid of the gas that occurs when I drink....other than burping. Also, at what point do you get concerned that you have not yet had a bowel movement? Thanks!

Sent from my VS990 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had mine on the 18th and I couldn't believe how bad the pain was. After numerous other surgeries including c-sections, I thought this would be a breeze. This is the first day I haven't needed to be doped up all day -- so trust me it will get better.

As far as the bubble feeling when you drink, I have experienced that too -- it has been better when I drink slower, but it still happens sometimes.

Also, I had a TINY bowel movement yesterday. Have been taking colace twice a day since my surgery and may add some milk of mag in too. Remember there's not a lot going in, so not a lot will come out!

I had my surgery on the 19th as well. I also had my gallbladder removed at the same time and let me tell how freaking painful that was. I am weaning off of the pain meds because they stop me from sleeping well and I have very crazy and vivid dreams. I've been on Tylenol for the last day and a half and doing well. If you feel like your pain is not controlled then call your surgeon. You cannot heal properly if you are always in pain. The gas pain will get better with time. Just keep walking, walking, walking. I walked around Wegmans today and when I got home all types of gas came out.

I had my first bow movement yesterday. It started with the urge that would go away and then turned into an actual movement. If you are not even feeling the urge you can take a stool softener or call your surgeon.

Best of luck to you. We are surgery twins [emoji5]

I had mine on the 18th. Was taking Miralax once a day and got my first bowel movement yesterday. Had to stop miralax because my stool was a little liquid. I do feel the chest pain when swallowing liquids but it's getting better slowly. I'm not walking much and I think that has something to do with it. Still have some pain on my right side (and this is why I don't move a lot) but I'm trying to take less pain killers so I don't get constipated. My Doc. said not to push the bowel movement so now I freak out thinking that every thing can rip open!!!

I had my sleeve Wednesday, April 19th. My pain meds aren't working and make me unable to sleep. When I drink it feels as if it's stopping just before it goes down into my stomach. Then I feel it go down and I have pain and rumbling when it gets into my stomach. Is this normal? How can you get rid of the gas that occurs when I drink....other than burping. Also, at what point do you get concerned that you have not yet had a bowel movement? Thanks!
Sent from my VS990 using BariatricPal mobile app

I received my sleeve April 3rd. I continued to take the stool softeners recommended to me and it was a week before I could go. You should also be passing gas, that should help with some of the gas in your stomach, although I am still experiencing that too. It all just takes a little time.

This is going to sound weird but ... Gas X Strips will help with the gas. I realized that before surgery you breath in a lot of air when you drink but after there is only so much space to take in all that at once! Plus I am sure there is swelling. Get some Gas X strips and I hope that will help. Time will fix everything and you wont even remember.

Stay Positive, it only gets harder =D