Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... what is a good amount of calories intake?

I had the surgery March 6th.... it's been a little over 6 weeks and I'm averaging ABOUT 1000 calories a day, give or take a little.

My Protein intake is at about 90 g a day. I seem to be losing between 5-8 lbs a week... all in all, I think I'm doing good. I'm just a little worried about the calorie intake... my dietician didn't really say anything on the amount of calories, just how much protein to try to get in.

Everything sounds good to me. Keep up the good work, you seem on the right track.

9 hours ago, ShilohD said:

I'm just a little worried about the calorie intake... my dietician didn't really say anything on the amount of calories, just how much Protein to try to get in.

My dietician didn't say anything about calories as well and I think it makes a lot of sense since calorie intake is dependent on many things. What job do you do? How active are you?

As long as you're losing weight and getting your protein in why are you caring about calories? It just makes things more complicated. As long as things are going smooth don't worry about calories. ;) Be grateful that these days are over at least for now.

Oh wow, I'm at 10 weeks and freaking out every time I get close to 800 calories. Am i eating too little?

My nutritionist recommends 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1400 calories for men. 70 grams Protein for women and 100 grams for men. Carbs under 100g per day. Thanks and keep up the good work

Thank you. That sounds realistic. My cousin had the RNY and she told me that the calories I was doing was about right... I just wasn't sure, because at first, I was LUCKY if I could do more than 500.

Oh wow, I'm at 10 weeks and freaking out every time I get close to 800 calories. Am i eating too little?

I hope you are doing more than just 800. With the amount of Protein you need, it seems difficult that you could get it all on so little.

Just now, ShilohD said:

I hope you are doing more than just 800. With the amount of Protein you need, it seems difficult that you could get it all on so little.

Sometimes it feels like I don't eat anything but Protein LOL...maybe I need to eat more often

On 4/22/2017 at 9:19 AM, timberlands said:

I'm surprised your counting calories still. With cutting the meals down it 1\4-1\2 cup for everything, counting seems mean.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using BariatricPal mobile app

If I didn't track calories and carbs the first year I would have have starved myself. I had no appetite. I would have been 400-600 calories a day if I wasn't tracking. Some people don't track to keep their calories low, some have to track to get them high enough.

Also if you are eating veggies 1/4 cup of spinach is less than 2 calories. LOL

On 4/22/2017 at 8:41 AM, EmmyJ said:

Sounds like it. But like another poster said, don't worry on the calories. Get your Protein in.

Wow...i am almost 6 weeks post RNY and i can only get about 70 grams of Protein and 500 calories if I am lucky...still having trouble tolerating alot of variety of foods...so pretty much just yogurt, cottage cheese, canned chicken and beans..any other suggestions...only losing about 3.5-4 pounds a week...

As long as you're losing, you are doing fine. I'm 9 months out from a band to bypass revision and still can only eat 650-850 calories a day. My metabolism is slow from years of dieting and having the lapband plus genetics. My dietician says when I reach maintenance I will need to eat 1,200 calories to maintain. So it's different for different people with different metabolisms and levels of activity. As long as you're losing, you must be doing it right for you.

My team recommends 1,000 minimum before you do any kind of strength training exercise, so getting to/over 1,000 is my goal.