Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm one week post op and still very tired. I have had to go to the hospital daily to receive IV maintenance fluids because I have not been able to drink enough. Anyone else dehydrated? Any advice?

You have to force yourself to drink. If plain Water doesn't go down easily, try diluting some juice, have some Decaf tea, or some warm broth. Experiment with different temperatures - some people find that warm or room temperature liquids go down more easily. I promise you will start to feel better if you keep yourself hydrated.

My surgeon suggested room temperature liquids or warm were best right after the surgery. I followed that and had no problems. I was only required to get 32oz of Fluid the first 2 weeks.

I used a child's sippy cup - seriously. I too was severely dehydrated and became so dizzy I could hardly walk. It took a good 2 weeks to be able to start getting any amount of Water down.

6 hours ago, rainyann said:

In the beginning I carried a Water bottle around with me and constantly sipped

good luck

I carry a Water bottle with me...I can't seem to "push" any more down....thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, MeltsIntoWonder said:

You have to force yourself to drink. If plain Water doesn't go down easily, try diluting some juice, have some Decaf tea, or some warm broth. Experiment with different temperatures - some people find that warm or room temperature liquids go down more easily. I promise you will start to feel better if you keep yourself hydrated.

I forgot that I can try warm broth...I will try that this weekend...maybe hubby will pick up some Vietnamese Pho and leave the broth for me...yummy thanks.🤗😀

2 hours ago, YeaMe said:

I used a child's sippy cup - seriously. I too was severely dehydrated and became so dizzy I could hardly walk. It took a good 2 weeks to be able to start getting any amount of Water down.

Great idea...I was very dizzy and talking incoherently...that's when my husband took me to the hospital. I also had a hiatal hernia repair when I was sleeved...so that makes for a bit more swelling and pain😝 One day at a time...

I received IV fluids at home for 2 weeks because I couldn't keep anything down. My first month after surgery was rough. I am over 2 months out now and feeling great so it does get better. Hope you feel better soon.

Rhalyn,

Glad to know it doesn't last....I'm so ready to feel better.