Another Patient Death at A Lighter Me (ALM) with Dr. Jose Luis Curiel Marchena

96 posts in this topic

This is such sad news and we should all pray for this sweet family who lost their mother. It is heartbreaking.

One of the many purposes of a site like this inform and educate patients about the doctors available to them. To say people only go to Mexico because it's cheap or because they want it done fast is very judgmental and uninformed. That is not why I went, I had a choice, and the cost would have been the same with insurance coverage or going to Mexico. You cannot unilaterally categorize an entire country and patients who choose to go there based on your preconceived notions. People die on tables in the US also and the US has butcher assembly line doctors as well. You are naive to think you any safer when you do not do you research. My mother, an RN, worked directly with bariatric patients post op in Texas and I could tell you some pretty scary stories about many US TX surgeons. YOU have to do your research wherever you decide to have your surgery. There are some very good and experienced surgeons in Mexico and the US and mine happened to be Dr. Illan. I am a mother of 3 and you can bet I did my research.

Thank you Alex for keeping us informed and please people, do your research.

9 hours ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

I just want to point out, from one public relations person to another, that you are doing far more damage to yourself and your company's reputability than @Alex Brecher could ever hope to do. And I thought United's PR was bad.

Please stick around, this is quite entertaining.

This is the kind of PR mistake that only gets compounded by returning to comment as she has here. At this point, I wonder if she thinks Alex is paying us all to post or something.

It wasn't a "big story" until she made it one by ignoring repeated polite (and then direct) requests from multiple people for her to confirm or deny and straighten out any errors.

On 2017-04-20 at 10:23 PM, Sandy Johnson said:

Patients my not bring minors as their companions. All companions must be responsible adults. Was a claim made that this was confirmed with the Mexican consulate? What is that person's name? We have worked with the Mexican consulate for several years. All of a sudden you're following ALM making statements like "another death". If you were doing your due diligence, you would know that ALM has one of the lowest the lowest complication rate in north America! You've claimed Bariatric pal has had no deaths in 8500 surgeries. Very doubtful. You haven't been doing surgeries in Mex that long. You had lapbad surgery in New York, NY. I know who your surgeons are and their history and reputations. However I'm not going to make any detailed statements. Just by speaking in general most people have enough information to find what they need!

You don't need a companion to have surgery, I went alone.

So apparently-

1) Someone tragically died in Mexico. (Sources provided info, confirmed by another patient)

2) How or why? After many posts by the company owner, still unknown, but the company is pretending nothing happened. (Star witness dead.)

3) A 14-year-old daughter may or may not have been there, may or may not have been stranded in Mexico.

Whether an exception was made by the company, or they the patient simply lied and broke the rules, the witness was unaware of the companion, or the deceased person had no companion, it is still unclear from the posts.

But all of us, hope her family including the 14-year old is home safe and finding peace in their time of loss.

(Sandy also never mentioned regret or gave any sympathies to obviously mourning family. Although she can't, as she still hasn't admitted to the death of a patient which prevents her from being human and sorry. I would have hoped the hospital/Dr would have paid and even accompanied the child back to her home with as little additional trauma as possible. If there was a child left stranded MX regardless of the reasons for the death, and they did not make every effort to get her home, shame on that entire organization for not being human, at a time when being human is job #1. It shouldn't take a government agency MX/US to do the right thing.) I can appreciate a stranded minor being out of the country can complicate things quite quickly and easily. Which also likely means, there was also likely involvement with the both US and MX consulates. (Assuming one would be involved and not the other is a stupid argument Sandy attempts to make, as they both have reason to be involved or at least aware of a situation of this magnitude. Or maybe deaths are so common with Sandy's group she is extremely aware of the exact procedure and which Government organizations get involved and which don't? Who knows...)

First off, while I respect the privacy of the family, this is nothing less than tragic for them, and I hope they find peace with God in this difficult time of their life. We all knew that this result could have happened to any of us, that doesn't diminish the significance when one of us becomes a part of that horrible statistic.

Secondly, the apparent denial and attempted cover-up only beg the question of medical negligence as a motive to deflect and attack anyone asking or seeking the truth. If their #1 doctor was actually #1, then this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I have no fears about Medical Tourism, but I do have fears about trusting and supporting bad doctors and bad businesses anywhere and everywhere. Sandy, you have communicated all I need to know about your business, business practices and the reputation of the doctors associated with it. I hope anyone considering your group for medical procedures reads this thread first.

I had surgery in Mexico with Dr. Cabrera Oct 3, 2016. I am a very succesful small business owner. My health insurance would not cover the surgery so after MUCH research, I chose Mexico Bariatric. My surgeon, hospital staff and overall experience was awesome. I would recommend Dr. Cabrera and Mexico Bariatric to anyone considering the surgery. Mexico Bariatric is an American based company. And I failed to mention I am a registered nurse with 20+ years experience and my business is in medical field.