Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Patient Death at A Lighter Me (ALM) with Dr. Jose Luis Curiel Marchena

49 minutes ago, maggieO said:

Alex, are you a bariatric surgeon?

Why would it matter if he is or isn't?

11 minutes ago, Trinkapoo said:

But you said you were 100% sure? Who is your source? I should have to verify his source. That's his job. FAKE NEWS

So, is it a coincidence your account was created around when this woman died and this is the ONLY thread you've ever posted on? You ignored that part.

And I dunno. A source is a source. If he gave you another name, you'd have to call them to verify it too or he might be lying.

Patients my not bring minors as their companions. All companions must be responsible adults. Was a claim made that this was confirmed with the Mexican consulate? What is that person's name? We have worked with the Mexican consulate for several years. All of a sudden you're following ALM making statements like "another death". If you were doing your due diligence, you would know that ALM has one of the lowest the lowest complication rate in north America! You've claimed Bariatric pal has had no deaths in 8500 surgeries. Very doubtful. You haven't been doing surgeries in Mex that long. You had lapbad surgery in New York, NY. I know who your surgeons are and their history and reputations. However I'm not going to make any detailed statements. Just by speaking in general most people have enough information to find what they need!

1 hour ago, maggieO said:

Alex, are you a bariatric surgeon?

No way! You can read more about my background on my LinkedIn profile.

@Sandy Johnson I hate to ask, but is it true that there was a death during surgery at ALM or with the mentioned doctor around a month ago?

This thread has many people talking at each other, and is very confusing.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

33 minutes ago, Sandy Johnson said:

Patients my not bring minors as their companions. All companions must be responsible adults. Was a claim made that this was confirmed with the Mexican consulate? What is that person's name? We have worked with the Mexican consulate for several years. All of a sudden you're following ALM making statements like "another death". If you were doing your due diligence, you would know that ALM has one of the lowest the lowest complication rate in north America! You've claimed Bariatric pal has had no deaths in 8500 surgeries. Very doubtful. You haven't been doing surgeries in Mex that long. You had lapbad surgery in New York, NY. I know who your surgeons are and their history and reputations. However I'm not going to make any detailed statements. Just by speaking in general most people have enough information to find what they need!

Sandy, you know that it would be morally and ethically wrong for me to mention the patient's name on here.

I was passing on information that was given to me by a trusted source today. My source is someone that works at the US consulate. I've been in Tijuana for the last week. I'm generally here every 3-4 weeks.

Are you denying that a weight loss surgery patient recently died under the care of Dr. Jose Luis Curiel Marchena? ?

Yes, I stand by my claim that BariatricPal TeamMX's surgeon, Dr. Illan has performed over 8500 surgeries and has never had a patient die after surgery. I invite you and anyone to research these numbers. We are very transparent about how we operate.

I had Lap-Band surgery in 2003 performed in NYC. I started this community the night I came home from surgery. What in heaven does that have to do with the patient death I posted about?

Yes I'm denying many so called "facts" that have been posted here. Things that have been posted about a few different doctors and even patient companions. I still would like the name of this "trusted source at the Mex Consulate". I brought up your lap band surgery because you do not have the same amount of experience that's I have in Mexico.

If you don't wish to reviel your source that's ok. I can check on it myself. I take this very seriously! I have a feeling I know who your "source" is. If I'm right it explains a lot!

i wish you the very best and hope that you will utilize those that are willing to help so that there will be a day when only eithical and talented surgeons are the norm so more people can get quality, safe surgeries!

8 minutes ago, Sandy Johnson said:

Yes I'm denying many so called "facts" that have been posted here. Things that have been posted about a few different doctors and even patient companions. I still would like the name of this "trusted source at the Mex Consulate". I brought up your lap band surgery because you do not have the same amount of experience that's I have in Mexico.

If you don't wish to reviel your source that's ok. I can check on it myself. I take this very seriously! I have a feeling I know who your "source" is. If I'm right it explains a lot!

i wish you the very best and hope that you will utilize those that are willing to help so that there will be a day when only eithical and talented surgeons are the norm so more people can get quality, safe surgeries!

The one thing you haven't denied or confirmed is whether the patient death in question happened or not.

I'm just an interested bystander, but when you started bringing up irrelevant things and ignoring that question, you became suspect.

I'm only asking again to give you the chance to respond with the clarity you claim to operate under.

After all, as you point out, patients do sometimes die on the table, especially very high BMI patients with multiple comorbidities. But even knowing this, you've continued to ignore the question.

Respectfully, doing that makes you come across as shady, which I assume you don't want.

How sad for the family. I hope this post helps people making decisions about where they have their surgery in Tijuana.

I don't believe in coincidences but I just joined this group I had gastric sleeve surgery 4/5/17. All of this is I read this post and felt it to be not true and maybe if it was I wanted to know where he got his information that is all I'm not a troll I'm just a normal mom from Wisconsin .

11 hours ago, HeatherS. said:

The one thing you haven't denied or confirmed is whether the patient death in question happened or not.

I'm just an interested bystander, but when you started bringing up irrelevant things and ignoring that question, you became suspect.

I'm only asking again to give you the chance to respond with the clarity you claim to operate under.

After all, as you point out, patients do sometimes die on the table, especially very high BMI patients with multiple comorbidities. But even knowing this, you've continued to ignore the question.

Respectfully, doing that makes you come across as shady, which I assume you don't want.

I'm always happy to address any questions. ALM is an open book. However I'm no longer going to do so on a forum that belongs to another company posting about other surgeons on their page. I'll let them stuck to promoting their own company.

I'm always happy to address any questions. ALM is an open book. However I'm no longer going to do so on a forum that belongs to another company posting about other surgeons on their page. I'll let them stuck to promoting their own company. If anyone would like detailed information about anything at all regarding ALM simply contact us from our website, www.ALM.com or call 877-765-THIN(8446). You can also join our Facebook page where you can correspond with thousands of past patients.

Another dodge. It's a simple question, was here a death or not? The immediate attack was clue enough for me. There is no way a reputable center would refuse to answer a question on a forum no matter who owns it.

It either happened, or it didn't. Pony up and answer if you ever want people using your facility. This is just sad.

15 minutes ago, sammy246 said:

I'm not choosing not to answer I'm just choosing not to answer on this forum. it is an issue who owns the forum. that person has the ability to delete or edit the post at will. They have the ability to change it into something completely different. And yes that has happened in the past

An overview, I am going on my 15th year in this business. We have had a total of 4 deaths during that period including all the doctors that I have worked with. No details here. A better question for this forum is to ask about complication for the surgeons associated with this forum and company.

15 minutes ago, sammy246 said:

Another dodge. It's a simple question, was here a death or not? The immediate attack was clue enough for me. There is no way a reputable center would refuse to answer a question on a forum no matter who owns it.

It either happened, or it didn't. Pony up and answer if you ever want people using your facility. This is just sad.

16 minutes ago, Sandy Johnson said:

An overview, I am going on my 15th year in this business. We have had a total of 4 deaths during that period including all the doctors that I have worked with. No details here. A better question for this forum is to ask about complication for the surgeons associated with this forum and company.

Let's please deal with FACTS. Please stop trying to deflect the subject at hand. A patient died while under your companies care. They had a minor who was 14 years old with them and the child was stranded in Tijuana while their mother was in the morgue.

46 minutes ago, Sandy Johnson said:

I'm always happy to address any questions. ALM is an open book. However I'm no longer going to do so on a forum that belongs to another company posting about other surgeons on their page. I'll let them stuck to promoting their own company.

Sandy, I just walked out of a meeting with two of the most influential bariatric surgeons in Tijuana. The entire weight loss surgery community is aware of this death. I lost any and all trust I had in you.

You are 100% not telling the truth about this matter!!

Here are the facts I've learned so far:

• Dr. Jose Luis Curiel Marchena had a patient die after he operated on them
  • This person who died was an ALM (A Lighter Me) patient
  • The procedure was done at Hospital MI Doctor and the patient died there
  • The patient brought their 14-year-old child with them. They might have been their official companion but they were the only other family member that was brought with them.