Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Short-term Disability Request for Surgery Advice

Hi again everyone:

I am probably going to start posting questions I think up in here when I have them, so please bear with me. My husband and I were talking earlier today about when to put in my request for short-term disability for my surgery. I told him since I won't get my surgery date until late August there is no reason to think about doing it anytime soon, but I do wonder what some people have said to their employers when they put in their short-term dis requests. My concern is if I tell them that I'm getting gastric bypass surgery that they will deny my disability request. My surgeon's office said that they can write me something general that doesn't go into detail and disclose that I'm having bariatric surgery, but I know my boss and he will press me for details. More out of curiosity than anything else, and he is nice, but I am still worried I will be denied if I tell my company exactly what procedure I'm having done. Has anyone else had this concern, or can anyone else share what their experience was when requesting time off for surgery?

Thanks!

L

Hi again everyone:
I am probably going to start posting questions I think up in here when I have them, so please bear with me. My husband and I were talking earlier today about when to put in my request for short-term disability for my surgery. I told him since I won't get my surgery date until late August there is no reason to think about doing it anytime soon, but I do wonder what some people have said to their employers when they put in their short-term dis requests. My concern is if I tell them that I'm getting gastric bypass surgery that they will deny my disability request. My surgeon's office said that they can write me something general that doesn't go into detail and disclose that I'm having bariatric surgery, but I know my boss and he will press me for details. More out of curiosity than anything else, and he is nice, but I am still worried I will be denied if I tell my company exactly what procedure I'm having done. Has anyone else had this concern, or can anyone else share what their experience was when requesting time off for surgery?
Thanks!
L

Disability approved my claim no problem. As long as your doctor fills out the paperwork & says you have to be out of work it shouldn't be an issue. And you can file the claim a month or so in advance then the MD confirms when surgery happens--- one less thing to worry about when you're in the hospital. And don't forget to fill out FMLA paperwork with your job to protect your position while you're gone.

My company's policy was at least one month in advance, in case they need coverage.

Did you have disclose you were having bariatric surgery? I'm worried they will deny it and say it's elective. Then again, if insurance approves it then I don't see how they could say that. It's also not something I want to discuss with co-workers, to be honest.

You do not have to disclose the type of surgery you're having and you are under no obligation to tell your boss anything specific. I told very few people what I was having done when I went out for my surgery, and just said I was having a procedure and it was personal. You only need to share what you're comfortable with. I also had no problem with using my short term disability and fmla. Good luck!

I disclosed I was having Bariatric Surgery to the Short Term Disability representative and there were no issues. I probably applied about a month in advance. They took my information and then confirmed the details with the surgeon. I was off for 5 weeks. I told my boss 8 months in advance - once I started the process because I had to take off for all the various pre-op weight in appointments and tests.

I just brought my short-disability paperwork and fmla in to the surgeon office last week for filling out. My surgery is May 15 so definitely get it in before your surgery.

I'm with RavensGirl. Your boss will be crossing a legal line if he pushes you for details on your surgery. The short term disability paperwork should go straight to that insurance company. FMLA paperwork goes straight to your HR department if you have one.

Obesity was formally declared a disease a few years ago & all short term disability carriers will cover if. For your STD paperwork, you'll want to give that to your doc to complete & submit about a month before surgery. For the FMLA paperwork? Federally, you give it to the doc about two weeks pre-op. Oregon also has its own version of FMLA, "ORFLA".

Personally, I love my boss. Fantastic guy, but I'm not comfortable yet discussing this with him & he didn't press at all. He just reminded me to contact HR for the paperwork. I'll more than likely tell him before I got out for surgery - just out of respect. But not until I am ready.

Good luck!

I didn't tell anyone at work the specifics of my surgery (except my best friend who just happens to work at the same place). When I requested my leave of absence I said I was having major abdominal surgery - and that is what my surgeon puts on the paperwork as well. And I just told my team I was having surgery and would be out 4-6 weeks. Anyone who inquired further was met with a blank stare because it is none of their business. Actually, that's not entirely true....if people were especially pushy I told them random stuff like "boob job" or "lobotomy".

I didn't tell anyone at work the specifics of my surgery (except my best friend who just happens to work at the same place). When I requested my leave of absence I said I was having major abdominal surgery - and that is what my surgeon puts on the paperwork as well. And I just told my team I was having surgery and would be out 4-6 weeks. Anyone who inquired further was met with a blank stare because it is none of their business. Actually, that's not entirely true....if people were especially pushy I told them random stuff like "boob job" or "lobotomy".

That's funny. I'm going to remember the "Lobotomy" response. My my best friend is at my work too & she knows. So does one other friend who sits in my area cuz she's super supportive and very private. That's it for now until I decide otherwise.