Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I only track Protein grams and fluids. As long as I follow my NUT recommendations the carbs take care of themselves. I just can't get into micro-managing my food intake. There is more to life than worrying about every little bite going into my mouth.

41 minutes ago, Airstream88 said:

I only track Protein grams and fluids. As long as I follow my NUT recommendations the carbs take care of themselves. I just can't get into micro-managing my food intake. There is more to life than worrying about every little bite going into my mouth.

This is how I feel about it too. I'm way too busy to micro manage everything going in my mouth as well. I have little kids, a job, a husband, a kitchen renovation going, volunteer work at church, etc. no way will I be measuring everything. I will listen to my stomach as I said previously.

If people need to weigh/measure everything than that's great, if that's what gets them through. This is not intended to offend anyone, this is my PERSONAL opinion. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but I believe weighing/measuring everything will be a crutch to REALLY listening to my body on my own. I will not judge anyone for doing it, I just won't do it myself.

57 minutes ago, Airstream88 said:

That is how I feel about it as well.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:42 AM, Redmaxx said:

Does anyone weigh and/or measure their food? I don't, I eat until I decide that it is probably enough, then stop. I have lost almost 91 pounds.

I weigh/measure my Protein, but I also 'listen' to my body. They aren't mutually exclusive :)

Tracking your food & macro's is very helpful for more than just weight loss and maintaining weight. Since I also track my weight training and BM's, I can draw correlations from my diet to my gym performance and or Constipation.

I pre-cook 99% of my meals. so I do weigh them out to make sure they are properly portioned and easy to grab, but since I do it all at once, it's not really a chore.

I weigh everything that goes in my body and I keep a detailed, accurate food journal every day (and I have been doing this for over a year now). It is a key to my success; it keeps me accountable, and I cannot imagine not doing it at this point. It is an integral part of my life now.

I can't say I weigh everything I eat, it a few times a week I measure my food just to keep my portion sizes from creeping up.

I weigh and measure all of my foods,helps keep me on track.

I'm having surgery in two weeks, so just starting my diet and, whilst I can't claim to be an expert in WLS, I know more than a little about behavioural psychology.

Given that we are all, or have been, overweight enough to have undergone surgery it's pretty fair to assume that our relationship with food has been such that it has allowed us to gain and maintain significant weight. Everyone will have their own reasons for this, physiological or psychological, most likely a combination of the two.

If we think about our operations as a physical reset, where for a period we are forced to consume only limited amounts of food, then we also need corresponding mental resets. Weighing food has a functional, physical benefit, perhaps more importantly it can help us psychologically.

Weighing food can make us more mindful of our intake. Most of the time our brains work subconsciously, we're not 'thinking' we're making decisions based on habit, instinct and deep seated biases. When those aren't working for us we need to challenge them. Weighing food can help make deep links between our actions and their consequences, hopefully this will eventually start to challenge our habitual or comfort seeking impulses.

There are awful lot of people who 'know' a lot about nutrition or habit but are still overweight. The weighing, amongst other things, isn't about knowledge it's about training our minds to take and support decisions tat are better for us. That's a lot harder but it's how you change long term behaviour.

So i don't either. I know exactly what 4oz looks like visually and i stop when i'm full.

But for people who need a food scale, i think its a great idea to keep you on track. Some people do eventually strech their stomach and over eat over time. And side note Amazon sells a super cool food scale that actually tells all the nutrition facts/ macros for everything you eat. So for example it will tell you exactly how many calories and Protein you're eating even if it's just 2oz of chicken. It's on $39.00

Does anyone weigh and/or measure their food? I don't, I eat until I decide that it is probably enough, then stop. I have lost almost 91 pounds.

10 days removed from surgery I weigh my food. I have to because I have no idea what a proper portion is. If I did I wouldn't be on this forum.

So i don't either. I know exactly what 4oz looks like visually and i stop when i'm full.

But for people who need a food scale, i think its a great idea to keep you on track. Some people do eventually strech their stomach and over eat over time. And side note Amazon sells a super cool food scale that actually tells all the nutrition facts/ macros for everything you eat. So for example it will tell you exactly how many calories and Protein you're eating even if it's just 2oz of chicken. It's on $39.00

What's the name of this scale?

Sent from my Z970 using BariatricPal mobile app

11 minutes ago, IamQueen said:

What's the name of this scale?

Sent from my Z970 using BariatricPal mobile app

I got a Taylor scale for around $15 at Walmart. It is in the kitchen gadgets section.

Edited by Ldyvenus

I got a Taylor scale for around $15 at Walmart. It is in the kitchen gadgets section.

So did I...nothing fancy...serves its purpose