Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So stupid question, I know gastric sleeve is safer and that's there are risks and complications with everything (in general) but has there ever been reports of death during gastric sleeve surgery , being put to sleep and never waking up ?

I am not sure abut deaths from being put to sleep. But yes, there are reported deaths from complications like leaks and blood clots.

Check pubmed and do a search.

The gastric sleeve is a simpler surgery than the bypass but not less invasive. It's a major surgery with significant risks.

Anesthesia has risks. The risk of anesthesia death is no different for sleeve than for any other surgery which takes a comparable length of time. So if an appendectomy takes 30 minutes and a sleeve takes 30 minutes, the risk (all other factors being equal) are the same.

Anesthesia is scary -According to the Insurance Institute - you have a 1 in 20 lifetime chance of dying as a result of an injury if you were born in 2013. The incidence of anesthesia related death during surgery is about 1 in 10,000. Pays to be a bit more careful when crossing the street.

Do discuss your concerns with your team.

The sleeve is generally a faster surgery than bypass (usually takes about 30 minutes less than bypass depending on the patient's anatomy and the doctor) which means you're under anesthesia for a shorter period of time. It's also a simpler surgery (if any surgery can ever be considered simple) because the doctor doesn't have to do any re-routing of the intestines like they would with a bypass.

With that said, it's still surgery, and being done on overweight people who usually have at least 1 other significant health condition which will increase risks for complications regardless of the type of procedure they're having done. These risks aren't over once you "wake up" - you're at risk for blood clots, bleeding, leaks, etc. for weeks and even months after surgery. That's why it's important to find a surgeon you trust and ask them lots of questions until you're comfortable making a decision about whether you feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

When you meet with your surgeon, ask them specifically about their outcomes. All surgeons need to report deaths that occur during or after surgery (I think up to a month after surgery but I could be wrong on that one).

I am not sure abut deaths from being put to sleep. But yes, there are reported deaths from complications like leaks and blood clots.
Check pubmed and do a search.
The gastric sleeve is a simpler surgery than the bypass but not less invasive. It's a major surgery with significant risks.

I'm having the mini sleeve which is less invasive then the either of them it's the same as the gastric sleeve but minimally invasive

2 minutes ago, tiffany44641 said:

I'm having the mini sleeve which is less invasive then the either of them it's the same as the gastric sleeve but minimally invasive

Do they leave more of the stomach with the mini-sleve? That's interesting.

Just now, tiffany44641 said:

No they cut the same amount out as they would will the regular gastric sleeve procedure. I just think he calls it a mini sleeve Bc it's minimally invasive

Ah ok. I think...the mere fact you lose 80 percent of your stomach is still pretty invasive. GL!