Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flatulence and foul smelling stools

I have written about this problem many times but no one seemed to know or have an advise that I haven't tried. With the foul smelling stool I have been complaining of soft-runny stools that are also pale in color. Everytime I go to the doctor and mention this they just reassure me that it's one of the side effects of gastric bypass. However, 3 weeks ago I was given a course of antibiotics (I had bacterial sore throat) and to my surprise, my flatulence was noticeably reduced and was never smelly again, my stools were of a normal consistency and color, and I managed to gain 1 kg (which is a good thing since I lost more weight than required)... this lasted for almost 3 weeks then gradually things started to return back to pre-antibiotic status... honestly, the bariatric team of doctors I'm currently seeing never seem to be bothered and unfortunately they're the only ones available where I live. Does anyone seem to know what could be the case?? My life is ruined by this I try to avoid people all the time as I have no control over my flatulence and smelly stools...

C. Diff. is a possibility, but from personal experience I think you would know if you had it. It is more than just loose, runny stool. It was extremely painful and miserable. Probiotics help, but there is no getting over it or lessening the symptoms unless you are given a very specific antibiotic after giving a stool sample. If they gave you a Z-pak or amoxicillin, it would actually make C. Diff worse.

For gastric bypass the foul gas and BM is normal. As I understand it, it is because of the partial or incomplete digestion of food that causes it. I'm sure it seems bad now, but it get better over time.

C. Diff. is a possibility, but from personal experience I think you would know if you had it. It is more than just loose, runny stool. It was extremely painful and miserable. Probiotics help, but there is no getting over it or lessening the symptoms unless you are given a very specific antibiotic after giving a stool sample. If they gave you a Z-pak or amoxicillin, it would actually make C. Diff worse.
For gastric bypass the foul gas and BM is normal. As I understand it, it is because of the partial or incomplete digestion of food that causes it. I'm sure it seems bad now, but it get better over time.

I actually went to google the symptoms of C.Diff and I don't personably think it could be that. Yes I was given Amoxicillin. If this was simply a side effect of the bypass why has it improved dramatically after the use of amoxicillin (augmentine)! I'm thinking there is more to it that just simply the side effect to gastric bypass. I'm 1 year out. I keep hearing things will get better down the line but no one mentions around when should I start noticing an improvement!

Have u tried kefir and taking MSM? Kefir is a probiotic drink you can get it flavoured at grocery store and MSM is very good for leaky gut. About 8 months post op I started getting small rashes. I took MSM for 3 - 4 months and they stopped. Also watch your sugar intake and don't drink with your meals.

I've been having a queasy stomach off/on this week so I've taken some Pepto-Bismol for relief. I swear it's causing smelly loose stools. I've noticed this happening a few times this week - rank smell on the days I take Pepto and minimal smell on days I don't take it.

Have they considered your gallbladder as being affected? Could you ask for an abdominal scan to make sure your gallbladder is ok? Also, tests to make sure your pancreas is functioning ok.

I was experiencing this when I was eating sugar (cookies, cakes) and starchy carbs (bread, Pasta, rice). I eliminated bad carbs and increased vegetable and no longer have gas and stools are normal in color.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:01 PM, Trayjay33 said:

Have they considered your gallbladder as being affected? Could you ask for an abdominal scan to make sure your gallbladder is ok? Also, tests to make sure your pancreas is functioning ok.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:01 PM, Trayjay33 said:

I agree with the gallbladder thought, the gas I think is pretty normal. In general gas smells depend on what you’re eating. But for GBS patients I believe it has more to do with an over production of bacteria in the gut. I would be more concerned about the color of the stool that can be an indicator of a few different things. Considering that having this surgery has the possibility of putting your gallbladder in a tailspin I would definitely have that looked into. If your bypass doctors are not acknowledging your concerns I would def go to your primary or another GI doc. I started having a shlew of GI issues about 2 yrs post op (which i had 0 of before) and after asking my bypass doc he was very dismissive. I’m assuming because their not performing this surgery anymore where Im from they don’t want to be associated with any problems when it comes to the GI and the other issues ppl are having years down the line. So best to have that addressed even though it may not be serious it would be good to look into it. Also because of the malabsorption we already face from having the surgery, having chronic loose stools or diarrhea is something that should be addressed right away because it could be causing you to absorb less that u already do.

I also had a similar experience with taking antibiotics. Antibiotics can commonly cause diarrhea or loose stools. Because antibiotics can get rid of bacteria in the gut my assumption is that ppl who have had this surgery actually have more bacteria in there guts then normal which is causing the excess gas and other BM issues. So taking an antibiotic would actually rid that excess bacteria and result in less odor. My GI doc recommends probiotics to help with balancing that bacteria which it did help when I took them.

FYI I am weighing in here because I am a long- time ago (35 years) G.Bladder loser. On the occasions I attempt to fast or take little in , I have bright yellow mucoid stools, this reminds me that after that surgery there is no stopping point for bile, it is a straight lickety- split squirt into the duodenal tubing. Of course if I'm on my prenatal Vitamins it does change the color, but this is what happens when I'm not. Does this signify I am borderline IBS? Why not?, seems like everything else about me is irritable! But that's my 🆓testimony and I'm sticking to it!😝🔊

And my Pepto taking friend, if you have noticed the blackness of your stool, it is the Bismuth Pepto- Bismol contains. And you are correct, it DOES cause foul nasty odors, but a lot of people accept the trade- off anyway.💩

On 4/16/2017 at 12:58 PM, mmy said:

I have written about this problem many times but no one seemed to know or have an advise that I haven't tried. With the foul smelling stool I have been complaining of soft-runny stools that are also pale in color. Everytime I go to the doctor and mention this they just reassure me that it's one of the side effects of gastric bypass. However, 3 weeks ago I was given a course of antibiotics (I had bacterial sore throat) and to my surprise, my flatulence was noticeably reduced and was never smelly again, my stools were of a normal consistency and color, and I managed to gain 1 kg (which is a good thing since I lost more weight than required)... this lasted for almost 3 weeks then gradually things started to return back to pre-antibiotic status... honestly, the bariatric team of doctors I'm currently seeing never seem to be bothered and unfortunately they're the only ones available where I live. Does anyone seem to know what could be the case?? My life is ruined by this I try to avoid people all the time as I have no control over my flatulence and smelly stools...

I know this reply is over 5 yrs late but I thought if your having the same problem you it can help you and if not it can help others with a similar problem. It sounds like you have SIBO, small intestine bacteria over growth. They usually the treatment of choice here in the USA is Rifaximin antibiotic, but because gives a hard time covering it Metronidazole antibiotic is usually used to treat it. There are also alternatives to Metronidazole like Augmentin (Amoxicillin-clavulanic acid) and few more antibiotics can also be given to treat it. The fact that you were given a short course antibiotics and it made your symptoms go away for a while and that people who have had the gastric bypass are prone to getting SIBO all points to you possibly having SIBO. Your GI Dr. needs to order a hydrogen breath test to confirm this diagnosis.

On 4/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, mmy said:

My nutritionist says that is a symptom of dumping syndrome. From eating to much sugar and carbs.