Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Kept Their Surgery A Secret?

I've been obese for about half of my life and I have an extensive medical history. I had my surgery April 11th and I decided before the surgery not to tell anyone. Only my wife knows and she is aware of my wishes to keep my surgery secret. Right now I am trying to figure out how to respond when my family members inquire about my rapid weight loss? Has anybody kept surgery a secret and how is it working out so far?

I was banded in 2010. I only told a very few people who had a "need to know". When i was asked about my weight loss my 2 favorite go to answers were. "I gave up eating the crappy foods, like bread" or "I gave up drinking soda". Both of which were true. I may also toss in about going to the gym. I don't make a big deal about it.

Good for you for planning ahead.

DA

I haven't told a whole lot of people as yet, but that needs to change within the next few days. My husband and kids know and 2 close friends know. Now that I've come through surgery in one piece, I need to start telling people. I don't think it's fair to not tell people the truth who ask how the weight is coming off. We all know how desperate we were to find "the key," to losing weight and telling people that we've cut out soda and bread isn't altogether true. We've cut out far more than soda and bread and not telling the truth is misleading, IMHO. I'm a very private person, so "going public," is hard for me. Nevertheless, I don't want anyone wanting to lose weight to cut out soda and bread and think they're going to lose the way I hope to lose (I had a band to bypass revision, so my loss will be slower than yours). For me, it's about being honest and accountable now that I've had the surgery and am starting on this new part of my life. Just my opinion, but there you have it.

I've had my surgery since 2015 and very few people know outside of my immediate family and closest friends.

Hi bunnyboop... I am due to have band to bypass revision next week...... been waiting a year... did you have it as one surgery. How did it go.. how are you feeling and how quickly is the weight coming off?

Hi Georgina,

Yes, I had my band to bypass revision in one surgery -- along with getting a hiatal hernia fixed.

I'll be a week out of surgery tomorrow and I have to say that it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be. I was given a morphine pump while I was in the hospital for pain and the morphine kept me pain-free and reasonably sleepy (good for rest). I was in the hospital for 2 nights and 2 1/2 days and I came home with Oxycontin pills for pain -- which I only needed for a day or so. I transitioned to Tylenol pretty quickly and starting yesterday, I've been on nothing at all. I'm still pretty wiped out -- the surgery takes the stuffing out of you -- but I go for short walks outside ever day -- each day a bit longer than the last -- and I'm due to go back to work (I have a lot of autonomy over my daily schedule), a week from tomorrow. The all-liquid diet is boring, but necessary in order for the pouch to heal (at least, that's what my surgeon says -- every surgeon is different), and I can either advance to some mushy solids (ie: cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.), this week or next. I'm not saying it's easy, but I have no regrets so far.

The weight is coming off however it wants to come off. I actually gained weight between when I went into the hospital for the surgery and when I came home -- Water weight from the IV which took a few days to leave my body. I'm now down 5 lbs. from when I went into the hospital, so it's not as though I'm losing fast here. Nevertheless, I knew the weight loss would be slow based on what I read about revisions and I'm OK with that. I plan on being very compliant with what I'm supposed to eat and when and in time, the weight will come off, I"m sure.

Good luck -- let me know how you're doing.

Bunny

Not me, I wanna scream it from the top of the roof. :) But I just found out my cousin had it 2 years ago and told nearly no one. People just kinda thought she used meds or went on a low carb diet. For the first time in her life she reached healthy weight, but she had been able to go below 200 before with dieting. So everyone thought she just did that again. I was pleasantly surprised when she told me the other day, thinking that explains ALOT :P I wouldn't worry to much, IF people start asking. Just tell the you are trying out low carb diet or something.

I'm in the middle of preparing for surgery, and no one but my husband and my doctor know. I've tried every diet out there, and nothing has worked. People who know me, love me, and work with me have seen my ups and downs through the years. I've done Weight Watchers at work, so my struggle to lose is not a secret. I am, however, reluctant to broadcast this based on my previous inability to to lose and maintain.

I had my surgery 16 days ago. My family and close friends know but I didn't tell my coworkers. I didn't even tell them I was going on leave. I go back May 1st and I've already lost 24# so I know I'm gonna get questions. I'm not trying to keep it a secret I just don't know how to go about telling them.

6 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

I've been obese for about half of my life and I have an extensive medical history. I had my surgery April 11th and I decided before the surgery not to tell anyone. Only my wife knows and she is aware of my wishes to keep my surgery secret. Right now I am trying to figure out how to respond when my family members inquire about my rapid weight loss? Has anybody kept surgery a secret and how is it working out so far?

My Mom, sister and two good friends know. But I haven't even told my husband. I'm going to tell him tonight. "I think" I know he's going to try and talk me out of it. But I need the help. I've tried everything. I've gotten bigger and bigger. I'm in so much pain. I'm doing this for my health do his opinion doesn't matter. I wouldn't tell him at all if it wasn't for the overnight stay in the hospital

Spouses usually need to know. What if there are complications? Who will take care of you and pick up your slack? Who has to deal with the hormonal outbursts?

If you don't live with them, they don't need to know..... But if you do, they do.

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

Spouses usually need to know. What if there are complications? Who will take care of you and pick up your slack? Who has to deal with the hormonal outbursts?

If you don't live with them, they don't need to know..... But if you do, they do.

Ok. I'm going to tell him tonight. What should I say?

Ok. I'm going to tell him tonight. What should I say?

I just had my sleeve on April 10th, I didn't tell my husband until I got all my clearances bc I did not want him trying to talk me out of it. It was 2weeks prior to surgery when I told him and said, I'm just letting you know I'm having bariatric surgery on the 10th, he was surprisingly fine with it, just asked about complications and recovery time. Tell him, you won't know his reaction until you tell him.

I can't imagine keeping it from my boyfriend. He is my rock and the person who has been with me through it all. I did end up having complications with my surgery so it is important to tell your partner.