Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being that you are so early out yet, I'd suggest you talk to your dietician about it and see what they say.. Also, you need to make sure your getting all your Protein in before anything else.. Now.. HALO TOP ice cream is a high protein ice cream with great flavors.. I've had that.. But I was already 3 months out.. Good luck

Munky

Halo Top is lower in carbs and sugar, higher in Protein, and decent in taste. One aspect of it that helps with Portion Control is that you cannot eat it straight out of the carton because it must sit on the counter for about 15 minutes to reach a creamy consistency. What I recommend doing is scooping out a half-cup size portion, and then immediately putting it back into the freezer so you cannot have any seconds. It's a bit pricy, but superior to other low-fat ice creams.

I would avoid high-fat, caloric ice creams that are going to just slide right down and not fill you up, because they are going to sabotage your progress. Something like Halo Top would be fine if you portion it correctly. I only have it once a week or so, when I'm really craving a dessert.

There are also yogurt popsicles that are higher in protein and low carb. Be sure to check the labels. You could make your own using a yogurt like Siggi's, though I haven't personally tried this yet.

3 hours ago, Middus said:

I am quite glad I didn't ask a single question about them. Lest I face a barrage of eye rolling and cynical insults disguised as advice.

Wish you had, would have loved to see the forum rampage as you release all that pent up anger. :lol:

7 hours ago, shon74 said:

I am 18 days post op, have anyone had ice cream besides the sugar free pops?

At 18 days post-op, absolutely not. But I was LOVING those sugar-free popsicles...they're great for hydration AND something sweet.

I'm now almost 10 months out and I very occasionally have some Halo Top ice cream, but it has to fit into my macros for the day. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to skip the ice cream at the stage you're in, focus on Protein and save the 'treats' for farther down the road.

Why can't people just answer the question the original posters ask? I'm not asking for your thoughts on life when I post something, I'm asking the question I'm asking. So many keyboard warriors out there trying to wag their fingers at people. [emoji55]

I am 18 days post op, have anyone had ice cream besides the sugar free pops?

People are so rude. I am 1 month out and will eat 2 ounces of Halo Top ice cream when I want ice cream. I don't eat the serving because it's a little higher in sugar than I'm allowed to have right now. Hope this helps!

7 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

Why can't people just answer the question the original posters ask? I'm not asking for your thoughts on life when I post something, I'm asking the question I'm asking. So many keyboard warriors out there trying to wag their fingers at people. emoji55.png

You noticed that, huh? ;)

What I think is funny is how collectively there's this distain for any real sugar but aspartame loaded items that are plan approved are fine.

They work on the brain in the exact same way.

To answer the OPs question I had 2 teaspoons of sugar free frozen yogurt at 10 days out because I went to FoYo with my daughter and I wanted to feel somewhat close to normal.

7 hours ago, Coah said:

What I think is funny is how collectively there's this distain for any real sugar but aspartame loaded items that are plan approved are fine.

They work on the brain in the exact same way.

To answer the OPs question I had 2 teaspoons of sugar free frozen yogurt at 10 days out because I went to FoYo with my daughter and I wanted to feel somewhat close to normal.

I'm not a huge fan of aspartame, but it absolutely does not have the same physiological affect as sugar.

For me, it's not a 'disdain' of simple sugars, but a very real appreciation for what's worked for me for the last 10 months. Curbing my carbohydrate intake, simple carbs in particular, has helped me a great deal in losing 90 lbs. When I do partake of sugary foods, I crave them more and that crappy circle starts again. I don't want to be there again. I'm a big fan of Monkfruit sweeteners...very low glycemic index, sweet but no weirdness.

I'm not a huge fan of aspartame, but it absolutely does not have the same physiological affect as sugar.
For me, it's not a 'disdain' of simple sugars, but a very real appreciation for what's worked for me for the last 10 months. Curbing my carbohydrate intake, simple carbs in particular, has helped me a great deal in losing 90 lbs. When I do partake of sugary foods, I crave them more and that crappy circle starts again. I don't want to be there again. I'm a big fan of Monkfruit sweeteners...very low glycemic index, sweet but no weirdness.

"Animal studies have convincingly proven that artificial sweeteners cause body weight gain. A sweet taste induces an insulin response, which causes blood sugar to be stored in tissues, but because blood sugar does not increase with artificial sweeteners, there is hypoglycemia and increased food intake."

"One reference showed, in patients with Type II diabetes, that the reduction of plasma glucose and insulin levels during exercise was similar after a sucrose meal compared to an aspartame-sweetened meal.[49] These results were obtained even though the aspartame meal contained 22% less calories and 10% less carbohydrates."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

"Taste and reward signaling in the brain is immensely complex. Research is only beginning to understand how altered brain activity with prolonged use of artificial sweeteners may impact our health long-term."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/tricking-taste-buds-but-not-the-brain-artificial-sweeteners-change-braine28099s-pleasure-response-to-sweet/

There is a ton of research on sweeteners, brain chemistry and satiety.

The point is foods should be as natural as possible and sugar isn't a devil. Years of yo-yo dieting is the real problem and crap genetics.

Great links, thanks...none of which proves or even addresses an identical physiological response for sugar and aspartame. The absence of an insulin response from artificial sweeteners is basic nutrition science, well documented and proven over and over again.

As I said, I'm not a fan of aspartame (or sucralose, saccharine, etc). I'm leery of how the body uses it's by-products, particularly phenylalanine, with it's ability to cross the blood-brain barrier when used in combination with carbohydrates. I avoid artificial sweetners almost entirely...except for those darned sugar-free Popsicles.

3 hours ago, Coah said:

"Animal studies have convincingly proven that artificial sweeteners cause body weight gain. A sweet taste induces an insulin response, which causes blood sugar to be stored in tissues, but because blood sugar does not increase with artificial sweeteners, there is hypoglycemia and increased food intake."

"One reference showed, in patients with Type II diabetes, that the reduction of plasma glucose and insulin levels during exercise was similar after a sucrose meal compared to an aspartame-sweetened meal.[49] These results were obtained even though the aspartame meal contained 22% less calories and 10% less carbohydrates."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

"Taste and reward signaling in the brain is immensely complex. Research is only beginning to understand how altered brain activity with prolonged use of artificial sweeteners may impact our health long-term."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/tricking-taste-buds-but-not-the-brain-artificial-sweeteners-change-braine28099s-pleasure-response-to-sweet/

There is a ton of research on sweeteners, brain chemistry and satiety.

The point is foods should be as natural as possible and sugar isn't a devil. Years of yo-yo dieting is the real problem and crap genetics.

I'm not so sure the second link adds much to the argument:

In a study conducted by Frank et al., 12 healthy women underwent brain scans and were asked to rate the pleasantness and sweetness of several different sugar (sucrose) and artificial sweetener (sucralose) drinks on a scale of 1 (‘did not like the taste’) to 9 (‘extremely enjoyable’).

Researchers found that both sugar and artificial sweetener activate the primary taste pathway in the brain by activating the frontal operculum and the insula, but only real sugar was able to elicit a significant response from several brain regions of the taste-reward system including the midbrain and caudate nucleus. This suggests that the brain’s reward pathway is conditioned to prefer a sugar, or caloric-based, stimulus.

The first one seems convincing, but the second link makes far more sense, as someone who hates the taste of splenda. Couldn't stand it in SF popsicles, not in Glucerna, can't stand Diet sodas.. not anything. I'd say it must be an acquired taste like coffee, booze, etc.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion