Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back for support - nearly 7 years sleeved!

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

But how much are you still down???? We are so fast to beat ourselves up over our “failings” but don’t typically recognize our successes.

I'm down 21# of surgery weight & 85-ish since my high weight. I'm definitely better off than I was at 350, but I'm so upset that I let myself slide this far back, ESPECIALLY after going through the chaos of surgery. I'm trying to get back on the right track. It's just that nothing seems to stick anymore. I'm sure it's all in my head. And I'll never give up! :)

I'm down 21# of surgery weight & 85-ish since my high weight. I'm definitely better off than I was at 350, but I'm so upset that I let myself slide this far back, ESPECIALLY after going through the chaos of surgery. I'm trying to get back on the right track. It's just that nothing seems to stick anymore. I'm sure it's all in my head. And I'll never give up! [emoji4]

You made a start your back looking for answers so your heading in the right direction. Exactly where we started in this group asking questions. Good Luck

Just thought I’d check in and see how everyone is doing? I’m still fighting the good fight, and maybe winning a little. Long way to go, for sure.

My stress level is lower in the last month than it was in the last two years, and man, does that make a difference! Life isn’t easy, but it’s certainly better. I’ve started exercising again, not for weight loss, but for cardio health and stress management. Some days I convince myself I love it, lol!

Anyway, I pretty much went back to eating like in the early days. Lean Protein, nothing processed, few vegetables, rare fruits, and very low calories and lowish carbs. I don’t count carbs, but avoid bread, rice and Pasta. Probably the biggest change was giving up coffee creamer and skinny caramel macchiatos from Starbucks. It’s a boring diet but it works, lol. At the moment, boring isn’t bothering me.

Anyone? What’s working/not working for you?

So, I have been incredibly reluctant to reply to the few posts that have come out lately. I have always really considered myself a moderate eater with no food group banned or limited. My weight became *pretty* stable several years ago, although I still dropped from about 126 to 112 over the course of 4 years.

I don't often share this but I have bipolar type 2 along with anxiety and PTSD. Basically, I see a psychiatrist really regularly to keep me stable. A couple years ago she tried to tell me that I had an eating disorder, that I had one before even losing weight because I binged and then dieted when I was overweight. She said that my diet was varied, but I was restricting my intake.

I posted several times about a year ago about my struggles trying to gain weight. I think that in my head I was eating enough. And then once I tried to regain my body resisted for a long time. My official diagnosis now is EDNOS, anorexia with bulimic tendencies.

Once I finally accepted my diagnosis, I dove into recovery the same way I dove into weight loss immediately after surgery. Within about 5 months I am back up to a weight my doctor approves of - 124 pounds. More importantly, I eat. Pretty much around the clock, pretty much whenever I feel hungry. Eating has pointed out the truth in my diagnosis. I used to wait until I was completely light-headed and couldn't function to eat. I'm lucky if I was touching 1100 calories a day, but I think on average it was closer to 800 or 900. I feel no desire to restrict. I never engaged in purging, which can be an incredibly addictive aspect of bulimia. I think that this has made my recovery easier. I occasionally have to be careful about binging - that is, separating eating what I want from eating everything in sight.

It had nothing to do with body image. it had nothing to do with wanting more results. It had nothing to do with being unhappy in my skin. In my case, it was entirely about control, and it started when my life was spinning wildly out-of-control and the only thing in my entire life that I had a say about was what I put in my mouth.

So, I'm sorry for the novel, but that is what I have been up to in the intermining time since I last responded.

Cheri

I am really upset about my regain but I can't seem to do anything about it. Since I broke my back, I can't really exercise. Now I have to have neck surgery.

It really stinks that I got used to being thin or average and now I am chunky. I need to lose about 25 lbs but I don't even know how to make that happen.

It would be so easy to become bulimic. The bad foods go down so easily but if I eat meat I am way too full way too fast. I hate that feeling that my stomach is going to explode. All I want to do it throw up so I am not so full.

I'm so sorry, OregonDaisy. You've posted about your struggles since your injury before. :(

It's a real trap for all of us I think, because we just eat a lot less post op. A lot of people completely avoid certain food groups or limit their carb intake severely. I think it's more easy to fall into an eating disorder than a lot of us are willing to own up to. In reality, the entire post-op diet is a doctor recommended eating disorder, you know? I mean the idea is that will eventually eat more food, but every single one of us has that fear of being the weight we were when we started again. And pretty much all of us freak out over 10 or 15 pound gains, and have a lifetime connection to the scale in a way that people that haven't struggled with morbid obesity just don't get. So I completely understand where you're coming from.

I wish I could say something to help you or offer a suggestion, but clearly I'm not coming from the right place myself. all I can say is I'm sorry and that I hope it gets better for you.

Cheri

I had some regain and really struggled with losing it, but finally got back on track with Keto in November and have successfully lost all but 7 lbs. I'll hopefully be back at my low weight in about 3 weeks. However, I never officially met goal so I actually have another 25 or so to go to that.

I'm struggling with persistent severe GERD and have had it my whole life. I'm looking at a possible revision to RNY which actually sort of excites me because I feel like it will help me relieve the GERD permanently.

I'm still down 60 lbs of my surgical loss and feeling good, but continue to work to the goal.

On 05/04/2018 at 10:42 AM, clk said:

So, I have been incredibly reluctant to reply to the few posts that have come out lately. I have always really considered myself a moderate eater with no food group banned or limited. My weight became *pretty* stable several years ago, although I still dropped from about 126 to 112 over the course of 4 years.

I don't often share this but I have bipolar type 2 along with anxiety and PTSD. Basically, I see a psychiatrist really regularly to keep me stable. A couple years ago she tried to tell me that I had an eating disorder, that I had one before even losing weight because I binged and then dieted when I was overweight. She said that my diet was varied, but I was restricting my intake.

I posted several times about a year ago about my struggles trying to gain weight. I think that in my head I was eating enough. And then once I tried to regain my body resisted for a long time. My official diagnosis now is EDNOS, anorexia with bulimic tendencies.

Once I finally accepted my diagnosis, I dove into recovery the same way I dove into weight loss immediately after surgery. Within about 5 months I am back up to a weight my doctor approves of - 124 pounds. More importantly, I eat. Pretty much around the clock, pretty much whenever I feel hungry. Eating has pointed out the truth in my diagnosis. I used to wait until I was completely light-headed and couldn't function to eat. I'm lucky if I was touching 1100 calories a day, but I think on average it was closer to 800 or 900. I feel no desire to restrict. I never engaged in purging, which can be an incredibly addictive aspect of bulimia. I think that this has made my recovery easier. I occasionally have to be careful about binging - that is, separating eating what I want from eating everything in sight.

It had nothing to do with body image. it had nothing to do with wanting more results. It had nothing to do with being unhappy in my skin. In my case, it was entirely about control, and it started when my life was spinning wildly out-of-control and the only thing in my entire life that I had a say about was what I put in my mouth.

So, I'm sorry for the novel, but that is what I have been up to in the intermining time since I last responded.

Cheri

Cheri,

Thanks for this insight. I understand the control element; in so much as when I eat when I shouldn't/not hungry/'naughty' food, I feel that I have no control. Stupid as in reality, if someone was watching, they would not look at me as an out of control eater! However, I feel that I don't have control over my body - early menopause started that train of thought... and now weight gain and not being able to lose it. I've lost my mojo and am hating this head space I am in... one of constant exhaustion and disappointment (not just with weight but many areas of my life).

But, life goes on and the world keeps turning... we keep on fighting the good fight!

Stay safe and well my friend x

On 16/06/2017 at 12:28 AM, coops said:

Hiya Cathy... I don't drink in the house! I do however, enjoy milky coffee/latte -so perhaps this is the problem? Hidden calories in liquid form right there! Thanks for the heads up!

I went to a class call Pump fusion - it is weights with music! I have to be honest, it was great and I enjoyed it - I've already booked for next week. At the beginning of the year, I went to a yoga class... this gym (a local leisure centre) also do yoga and Pilates, so they are on my list to try too!

Hiya coops.. I’m UK too and used to enjoy milky coffee. I now use Alpro fresh light Soya Milk (not the unsweetened) and that feels like a treat during the day.

For me it’s all been about the carbs. Low carbs/Keto weight drops off although much slower than during the honeymoon phase. This milk is carb free, 78cals and 7.1g of Protein, 4.3 fibre for 12oz.

Wishing you the best for keeping on track !

Kate 😀

So many familiar faces! I had taken a (LONG) break from this site because it got pretty catty for a while but I was hoping some of the tried and true were still around! :] I wish I had some advice. I'm up 60# over the last 4 years. I'm a lost cause. [emoji4]

You might check out the ketogenic WOE. It had helped me tremendously. It is so easy. I love it and have incorporated into my families WOE. Everyone had lost weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in the regain battle. I often feel that I am when I look at pictures of friends who have been sleeved. I'm up 20+ pounds from what my ticker says, and it makes me want to cry. I blame it on bad habits. Carbs continue to be my weakness and it's incredibly difficult to stop eating them. This week I have made it a goal to not bring unhealthy carbs with me to work. To focus on Protein and healthy fruits/veggies...I know that fruits aren't the healthiest, but certainly better than a bag of chips and in much lower quantities.

You're brave for cutting back on those skinny caramel macchiatos from Starbucks. I do attribute part of my gain to those. It was a 1-2x a week deliciousness, and better than the white chocolate mocha that I had been drinking. My coffee maker did two weeks ago and Starbucks has been more convenient than buying a new machine. When I make my own coffee I use caramel Protein Drink instead of milk/creamers/flavors and that is satisfying.

Good luck with your journey.

Hey girls. So, 8 years out now.

I'm here for kind of a vent. I posted about my struggles before. I've been seeing a therapist and she's really been reluctant to contradict my doctor but she absolutely doesn't believe I have a full-on eating disorder. but I don't think there's any denying that anyone that gets to where we were has issues with disordered eating. and the control aspect after weight loss surgery is such a major thing.

Anyway, my doctor's solution back when this all happened was to have me gain weight, and the way she made sure that happened was by putting me on a medication that really increased my appetite at the same time that she took me off of my mood stabilizer that suppressed my appetite and prevented binging. I didn't really gain much - 12-15 pounds - but I felt like I was starving all the time and the only thing I wanted were processed carbohydrates and soda. the medication is known to cause that issue. I guess my vent is that over the course of 9 months or so she feels I've gained too much weight. Like, there was some magical line four or five pounds ago that equals "healthy" and now I've crossed it. She immediately pulled me off of the Seroquel, put me back on the old mood stabilizer, and put me on a weight neutral substitute for the Seroquel. She's "hoping I'll be a better weight soon."

Can I just say a really loud, emphatic WTF?! This neverending BS about our weight with physicians is probably going to drive me mad.

My only health concern is that my a1c jumped from 4.1 to 5.1 over that time frame, so still healthy, but clearly indicative that my eating habits had taken a dive.

I'm just doing my own darn thing from now on. To heck with it all. I'm still maintaining, still itty bitty, and never would have put on a pound if that idiotic doctor hadn't made me. my focus right now is eating 3 meals a day and 4 Snacks.

Just a little vent, and a reminder that no matter what size we are the garbage about our weight never seems to end!

Cheri

@clk Cheri! What a load of ole cobblers... I agree with you when you said 'do your own thing'. You have always been the type of lady that has thought this way and good for you for following your own wise words - one size doesn't fit all! You gotta do what is right for you!

Good luck with being you and getting to a point where you feel 'right' (if that exists!) but you know what I mean. Hugs x

As for me - it is over 8 years sleeved for me now and things haven't really changed in the last year. I am down a little but still at least 14lbs over where I stabilised, which was another 14lbs where I set a goal weight! So, all in all I would still like to get rid of at least 28lbs!

I've had to buy new clothes - that was really depressing! And I have zero energy to work out. School life is really stressful and my anxiety levels are ever increasing whereas my sleep is decreasing! This leaves me in a constant state of exhaustion. This is the last week in school before the summer holidays. We are going away Tuesday for 3 weeks and as much as I am looking forward to it I am dreading the whole swimming costume-wearing malarkey! It is gonna be three weeks of 'faking it, 'til I make it!' Plus a lot of sleeping and rest.

On a plus note, I went back to being vegetarian last Sept and I have now fully transitioned to a vegan way of eating. This has been a really powerful move for me, not only for ethical reasons but for health reasons too. I initially looked into it to see if it would help my menopause - I have really been suffering with the symptoms for nearly 10 years and it is really getting me down (plus I am sure it has contributed to my weight gain). So, I thought I would see if changing my diet to a more plant based/vegan way would help.

Although, I still get major hot flushes, they have generally decreased. My headaches/migraines have also improved. But, the biggest change is the digestion of my food. I have always been constipated - all my life - and since I removed dairy, especially cow's milk, I am no longer constipated! This has made me really hopeful that my gut is now working better and therefore my metabolic rate is improving. With time (and rest from work) I am hoping that my body will keep responding and I will feel more energised and therefore move more.

I refuse to give up! I refuse to accept this weight that I am currently. I will keep on keeping on!

Hello all...I recognize a few names here. I used to be a regular 5-7 years ago. But now I am back and saw the Veterans title BACK FOR SUPPORT and I need it for sure! I see these posts are over a year old so not sure where this will go. But I have gained 15 lbs, and I swear I feel like I'm as fat as I was when I was 80 lbs overweight. I know I shouldn't but I just do. And this is all my doing; no excuses. I am eating too much, drinking too much wine and not exercising. Tomorrow I go back to the gym, but I have to get this carb and sugar thing under control. Not only am I gaining but I don't feel good. Someone mentioned getting re-sleeved...is that even something you can do? I'm very tempted. I can't seem to do anything on my own. I hate writing this because I always felt like such a cheerleader and I was always told how much I inspired others,,,well, I need some inspiration now! Any advice????