Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back for support - nearly 7 years sleeved!

On 2017-6-27 at 3:20 PM, clk said:

Wow, coops and UK Cathy and MichiganChic - like a tiny reunion!

I saw this and had to say hello. Sorry to hear about the regain struggles. I think over the years (I'm coming up on 7) we've all gone up or down a bit. It's whether or not we let it slide into 50, 60, back to where we started. We don't. It's times of stress that get me, like when my father passed years back. I put on 20. Took a bit to take it off. No exercise, I'm still rotten on that, kudos to you that do it, you're better than me.

I'm actually quite small now. Partly due to medication. It's odd, what becomes normal. Just being a little person and people assuming you've always been that way. I had my gallbladder out earlier this year. My husband retired after 23 years in the military. That about sums up my eventful life. :)

Hope you're all well. You were a great support early on, truly.

Cheri

Hey Cheri!

Yea, a mini reunion for sure... good to hear from you! Are you back in the States permanently now? How have you keeping? It is so reassuring to see the 'old' faces isn't it; and to see that we all have the same or similar struggles. I always appreciated your advise and words of wisdom and encouragement. Stay in touch x

A little update - two of the four pounds I put on since joining the gym have come off... I am really enjoying the classes and moving more. Not seeing any change in my clothes, but I know it is early days. However, I have seen an improvement.... I have a Fitbit and before the gym my resting heart rate was 65, now it goes between 59-61. So even though the scale isn't being kind I am liking that internal improvement that moving has given me to date... I am hoping that as time goes on my resting heart rate stays in the 50s.

I honestly think stress is really tampering with my weight too... the stress levels in work just keeping getting higher and higher. It is a melting pot of madness now. Two teachers are on long term sick due to work related stress (and these are seasoned, fantastic teachers!), kind of sums it up to me.

Anyway, I will keep on keeping on... my mantra for the last 7 years isn't gonna change anytime soon,,,lol

Hope you are all well - keep us updated and lets do this together!

Coops,

Dreadful about the stress, I'm so sorry. I'm happy to hear you're working out and seeing progress. I tend to get in my mind and stew, drinking coffee and vaping (I know, I know, but I quit the cigarettes, all right) and forgetting to eat. It's awful. My body holds on to weight or goes up and down on the scale. Keeping focused on your personal goals will help. But gah - I hope it gets better, and soon.

May you continue to see loss on the scale and get strong and fit! Exercise is supposed to help with stress. Aren't the professionals always nattering on about that?

I am in the states for good. Hubs got a job here in the DC area. We'll be here until he doesn't have one, I suppose. The plan is long, long term though. Not my dream, but it's alright.

Weight-wise, I'm fine. About to post a 7 year update. The newbies appreciate it but heavens knows I'll be inundated with questions about loose skin and what, exactly, I eat every day. [emoji23] Well, we were new once, too.

Best, dear. Good to hear from you. Keep it up.

Cheri

My thought is this--

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NORMAL!!!

studies show post menopause women gain 1.5-2lbs a year and most women gain an average of 12lbs in the 6 years following menopause.

Not saying whether you should or shouldn't work to lose those pounds, but MOST normal weight women have the same struggle. It's not you. And it may not be the sign of a slippery slope. It may just be. NORMAL.

I do believe there's a difference between health pounds and vanity pounds and all regain isn't the same. Some isn't the end of the world as long as you are still eating well and your health is good.

Jess,

thank you for your insight... I really hadn't considered myself 'normal' but you're right; a lot of women gain weight as they go through the menopause - I've seen it some of my friends. And, the similar theme seems to be all around the middle - where mine has gone. I just get frustrated, especially when my doc says that I should not be gaining just because I am going through the menopause! I have been going through it for 8 years now, so I suppose when we apply the 'normal' logic I am doing ok.

However, I don't like it.... I don't like feeling and looking 'round' again! Even though I am no where near my starting weight, I am starting to feel the same feeling towards myself as I did when I was 238lbs. I know I have to work on my head space... something I continually fight with; always have done.

x

So last week I had a week of the gym - I have been mentally and physically exhausted. Work continues to be intense and it is wearing me down. Luckily, we only have two weeks left in school before we break for the summer holidays. I intend to go to the gym n the day then; taking advantage on no work routine (I will do work at home, but I also intend to take some well needed head rest!).

I go on holiday in a month... 2 weeks in Cyprus with the husband! My kids are old enough to leave at home now and they don't want to come with us! As much as I am looking forward to it, however, I am also dreading it. I will have to but all new swim wear.

After I lost my weight and stabilised (albeit not at target weight) I had a TT and on holidays post TT I was brave enough to wear a bikini. Now, I have the old feelings of 'I am two fat to wear a bikini', even though I know I am not 'really'. I feel that since I have gained weight, I have lost the body confidence I worked so hard to get. Although I tell myself that I am still looking ok, the voice is getting quieter and quieter!

I know that that sounds totally irrational and that I shouldn't let the scale dictate how I feel and perceive myself, but I can't seem to help it. I suppose I am getting beyond frustrated that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of the regain!

The only thing that helps, is knowing that I am not alone... and popping on here now and again, really helps.

Feel free to share your experiences or words of guidance.

x

Hello all,
I haven't been around for a long ole time and thought I would drop by.

My sleeve will be 7 years old in July. Over the last year, I - like so many others it would appear - have started to regain; it is 14lbs at the moment. I can honestly say it isn't by eating crap food all day everyday. My diet is 85% clean and 15% rubbish. After being sleeved I turned into a food 'snob' and still don't eat a lot of processed foods and junk. Obviously I am not perfect either! One thing that has really changed though is my exercise habits. I went from being really active and strong to not doing a lot. The only real exercise I do now is walking, which as much as I enjoy, doesn't make me sweat and ache like the other types of exercise I used to do. I need to work on this.

Another area of my life that has changed in the last 18mths is work - I am a teacher and my work load has increased (with a small promotion). I work between 10-16 hrs a day weekdays and sometimes on a Sunday. I refuse to work on a Saturday! So this has really impacted on my free time and also my stress levels. I also have had a lot of stress in my home life, which I feel is lessening a little now. However, I feel totally exhausted 90% of the time. I have been to the docs and am getting my bloods tested for cortisol and thyroid next week.
I am finding it really hard to juggle work, home life, the house, caring for elderly parents and then finding the energy and motivation to move faster than a walk! Does anyone else feel like this? How do I overcome it?

I have tried to lose the regain - trying all sorts of different methods (low carb, 5:2, 16:8, low sugar etc) - over the last 4 mths but no joy. The only thing I haven't tried is the pouch reset, which I am contemplating, I have noticed that I can eat more these days, if I chose to, so I am mindful of that and I still use a small plate to control my portions.
If you have done the pouch reset, what was your experience?

One thing I have been thinking about is being resleeved - if I could ever afford it (I was self pay as I am in the UK). Has anyone had this done? What are the results? Is it worth the money.

I feel that I am at a weird cross roads... at 46 I am 'ok' with me. But I know I could be fitter and stronger. What I worry about is regaining all the weight that I have lost.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Did you ever think, maybe it's time to give up the diet mentality? I have personally decided to let that all go and embraced Intuitive Eating, which finally gave me my health back and I have been able to maintain my weight well and no longer obsess about it all.

You say you are exhausted. Have you considered you are not giving your body enough fuel? No to mention the mental energy it requires to think about weight and constantly worry and judge yourself. When I dieted or restricted my food intake I was EXHAUSTED. all the time.

Because that lifestyle- it's tiring as hell.

Bellaboom, that makes a lot of sense! x

Hey there, I have been away for a very long time too. I have also gained weight by drinking Frappacino's and sugary things. It is like, I just got tired and gave up. I had a vision that my body was way to skinny at 146lbs. This was really irrational thinking on my part. After reading all my old friends story, it does seem a bit normal to put on some weight, but just how much weight is normal?

I am realizing now that I still need to get back on the wagon, do a cleanse (no sugar), and promote good health in my house. I find myself really really sad. My son is 34 years old and the past year or two, he has become enormously obese. It breaks my heart. So I am looking into the Paleo way of eating. I still drink a lot of Protein Shakes daily. But I have let bread back into my diet.

I guess what I am saying is that I am really sad over my weight gain. I hate that I am up a size. Dieting just isn't as easy as it was in the beginning. I'm also tired. Everything everyone has spoke about here, rings true for me too. I need to get back into checking in with others to keep on track. I spoke with a case manager at my bariatric center and she told me that in order to loose weight, I need to eat less than 1000 calories.

I am so happy I ran into all my old friends on this post. It brings me back to reality. It is still work.......

So good to hear from my sleeve pals!

I am FINALLY losing some regain and not starving all the time. It feels so slow, but even after 6 years (my 6 year surgiversary was monday Dec 11!) I am still working on the "head trip". I don't NEED to lose this weight quickly, what I need and want is to lose it while being able to live a good life, improve my health and keep working toward long term health. I actually found myself in my old diet thinking for the last year or two and guess what - all I did was keep regaining. Goes to show I apparantly need my brain sleeved!

Anyway, looking forward to talking more - and I will be back to read this whole thread when I have more time.

I hope newbies don't take what I'm posting as a reason not to have surgery. It's all worth it and no regret for me.

3 years out and regain and just got the scale back down.

I've been working this program way too hard. I admit my mind is messed up anytime I gain. I'm getting exhausted at the discipline it takes for me to lose weight and maintain.

The bariatric basics and successful behaviors to lose and maintain weight.

(1)Logging food

(2) weighing your food,

(3) making healthy choices,

(4) weighing yourself to lose or maintain weight.

(5) Exercise

I have to stop being so regimented with my food. I need to relax. Things for me to change in 2018! I'm walking a thin line between bariatric lifestyle and eating disorder.

I'm a food snob. I see foods as good or bad.

I feel the need to know how many calories and macros I get in each and every day for the past three years. A few exceptions on vacations etc

I automatically can say what calories and macros are in certain foods...Just because I've logged them so often.

exercise is my replacement for stress/emotional eating. I have to monitor myself and recognise when working out gets obsessive.

Glad to see some of the old timers here.

My story is long- and I really don't feel like typing all the problems that caused 4 back surgeries. I can't really exercise the way I used to. I have almost given up caring about my weight gain. Wearing a 14 is way better than wearing a 24.

I do eat right but I can't wear any of the clothes I saved in case I gained weight back. The pants I wore when I was 145 during my first year after being sleeved don't even come close to fitting. I have lost all the muscle I gained when I was going to the gym every day. It makes me mad that I weigh 145 and clothes I wore at 145 before don't fit, but I can't risk doing anything to hurt my back. I can barely walk now. I am in a lot of pain if I try to walk even a block.

Glad to see some of the old timers here.
My story is long- and I really don't feel like typing all the problems that caused 4 back surgeries. I can't really exercise the way I used to. I have almost given up caring about my weight gain. Wearing a 14 is way better than wearing a 24.
I do eat right but I can't wear any of the clothes I saved in case I gained weight back. The pants I wore when I was 145 during my first year after being sleeved don't even come close to fitting. I have lost all the muscle I gained when I was going to the gym every day. It makes me mad that I weigh 145 and clothes I wore at 145 before don't fit, but I can't risk doing anything to hurt my back. I can barely walk now. I am in a lot of pain if I try to walk even a block.

Hang in there under the circumstances I think your doing great. Try to get out in the fresh air to clear your head and maybe just walk a quarter of a block to start with and consider that a win. It’s the head game that will steer you off the path being outside and just doing the smallest amount of walking has to be good for you even if it’s just to clear your mind. Good Luck

So many familiar faces! I had taken a (LONG) break from this site because it got pretty catty for a while but I was hoping some of the tried and true were still around! :] I wish I had some advice. I'm up 60# over the last 4 years. I'm a lost cause. :)

So many familiar faces! I had taken a (LONG) break from this site because it got pretty catty for a while but I was hoping some of the tried and true were still around! :] I wish I had some advice. I'm up 60# over the last 4 years. I'm a lost cause. [emoji4]

But how much are you still down???? We are so fast to beat ourselves up over our “failings” but don’t typically recognize our successes.